Thread: How To Fit Autofold Mirrors on Memory Cars

Post Thanks / Like

How To Fit Autofold Mirrors on Memory Cars

See next Post!
    Last edited by astromorg; 01-03-13 at 14:56.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2006 Auto Sovereign 3.0 X Type Saloon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Fit Autofold Mirrors on Memory Cars

It is well known that on X Types with memory seats, the powerfold mirror system is only available when the ignition is switched on and, therefore, converting them to fold automatically on double locking the doors is a totally different proposition to achieving that on a non-memory car.

Unlike the non-memory cars, the foldback modules are in the doors, not in the fuse box. However, to enable the mirror positions to be held in the memory, all the wiring runs through the Driver's Door Module under the driver's seat. This module is powered by an ignition controlled supply, but for our purposes here, that facility is only required while the foldback operating button is pressed. The foldback motors actually run on non ignition dependant power supplies and you can demonstrate this to yourself by pressing the button and then immediately switching the ignition off. The mirrors will continue to fold/unfold to the end position.

To modify the system so that it will fold/unfold the mirrors on Double Locking/Unlocking, access is required to:

the ignition controlled supply to the Driver's Seat Module
    the double locking/unlocking supply to the door locks
    the wire to the foldback operating button on the switch pack
    a convenient earth facility

All these wires are required to connect to a suitable relay and to achieve this, the necessary hardware is best mounted in the only place common to most of them and that is under the driver's seat, accepting the fact that one new wire needs to be run to that position from the Double Lock/Unlock system.

The object is to copy the action of the manual button by using a relay that is actuated by the operating pulse from the Double Lock/Unlock circuit. At the same time, that pulse has to power the Driver's Seat module, while also disconnecting the normal connection to prevent the pulse running back through that wire to the passenger fuse box and beyond with all sorts of unknown repercussions! All this is done by one Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) miniature relay mounted on a strip board inside a small plastic box that can be attached, out of the way, under the seat. A miniature 12v relay is suitable for the very low power needs of the circuits involved and this helps reduce the overall volume of the new module and allow its fitting to be achieved unobtrusively.
    A schematic of the new circuit that will do all this is shown here, with the relay in the activated position.

Before detailing the process with pictures, a disclaimer: What follows is an account of what I have done to my own car to solve my own problems. What I have done is unlikely to be approved by Jaguar. Anyone who copies any of my actions or utilises any of the data does so entirely at their own risk and I cannot accept any responsibility for any problems or failures in any car arising from anyone copying my actions, or trying to do so.

My car, on which I carried out this modification, is a 2005 SE 2.5 Auto model and the wiring diagram I used is designated 2004.25/2004.5. I also looked at the wiring diagram designated Jan 2007 but could find nothing different in respect of the wiring for the items under consideration here. I don't know when memory seats were introduced, but the wiring diagrams of 2001.50 and 2002 make no mention of the system.

The first photo shows the components required to implement this modification:

The wire was obtained for a pittance from the local scapyard to allow colour matching throughout - a detail I believe all Jaguar cars deserve! (In passing I also keep a set of photos and record of the work in the car's History Pack for future owners)
    The Scotch-lok connectors (Two different sizes to suit the wire sizes as the Yellow/Black wire is a bigger size than the others) were used to install the module until all was established as OK. Subsequently the joints will be soldered and encased in shrinkwrap, again, as befits a Jaguar!
    The relay is a Miniature DPDT 12 volt type. (Kam Ling KL2P-F) But I think it's of standard dimensions, as used by other manufacturers
    Stripboard designed for one off circuit board construction
    A 1N4001 Diode for relay/circuit protection
    An 8 Way Pin Connector
    Two screws, nuts and washers from the Come-in-Handy box
    Plastic Box to contain new module

The first thing to do is to make up the new module. The following photographs should enable every wire and relay pin to be put in exactly the right hole and the deliberate breaks in the copper strips to be made. These must be positive breaks in the continuity of the strips. Near enough is not good enough for this project!

This picture shows the stripboard cut to shape to fit in the box with a tongue to pass through a slot cut in the side of the box to allow the connector pins to be fitted later. The holes are to allow the board to be secured to the base of the box and the relay is in position, noting the corner cut-out that serves to identify one end from the other!

This is the underside of the board before soldering in the relay, noting that four of the terminals require additional holes to be drilled because the hole spacing only matches the other four terminals.

These two views show the top surface complete with relay, wire links and the protection diode in place

This is the completed underside, noting the cut-outs in the copper strips to ensure the correct circuitry.

Once the finished circuit board has been tested for correct operation and absence of shorts or open circuits using a workbench 12v supply, it can be permanently fitted in the plastic box. Each of the two screws passes through, in this order, the mounting bracket, the box base, a nut to support/space the circuit board from the base of the box, the circuit board itself, a washer and a further nut to secure the whole arrangement.

After this, the 8 way connector can be soldered on to the protruding tongue. Not all 8 pins are required, but the spacing of the 5 connections on the board edge makes it the simplest solution. The module is now complete (Except a lid to close the box up will have to wait as the box supplier was out-of-stock!) and it is now time to wire up the new, white multiplug and to modify the wiring within the car.

The white multiplug requires 3 wires attaching to pin connectors and inserting while still on the workbench. With the plug orientated as in this photograph, the plug holes should be filled as follows:

1. Blank
    2. Red wire 6 inches long
    3. Yellow/Black wire x 5 feet long
    4. Blank
    5. Black wire 6 inches long
    6. Blank
    7. Blank
    8. Blank

Now to the car itself.

Good engineering practice is to disconnect the battery Negative terminal before starting, ensuring you've got the radio code available to reset it idc and noting any odometer readings you may want as these too will go on the battery disconnect.

For access to the relevant wiring harness runs, the sill trim and a section of the driver's door seal must be removed. Also the footwell panel. The seal just pulls off as does the sill trim, (held by three tight clips equispaced under it). The footwell panel can the be pulled rearwards to release it from its two clips in the A pillar. It also makes access easier if the driver's seat is unbolted to allow it to tip up.

This photograph shows the initial arrangement of junction boxes and their wiring under the driver's seat.

Arrowed are

the Red wire which goes from the Seat Module to the powerfold button in the driver's door
    the White/Blue wire providing ignition switched power to the Seat Module
    the Black Earth wire leading from the Seat Module to the earth point at the base of the A pillar

and this photograph shows the General Electronic Module (GEM), situated just above the accelerator pedal.

The Yellow/Black wire that feeds a pulse to all four door locks to Double Lock and Unlock them is arrowed.

With the new multiplug in the area of the Driver's seat multiplug junctions, the Yellow/Black wire in it has to be run to the GEM. With the seat unbolted it is quite easy to pass this wire alongside the existing wires, under the carpet, to the sill area and then along and up to the GEM, taping it in to the original wiring harness as you go. The end of this wire should be spliced into the Yellow/Black wire that comes out of the left hand GEM multiplug as shown here.

All the trim can be replaced now.

The Red wire from the new multiplug can now be trimmed to a suitable length to allow it to be spliced into the existing Red wire in the bottom row - not the one in the top row!! - of the left hand, grey junction box, and similarly the Black wire to the existing Black wire from the lower, right hand corner of the black junction box. Now for the decisive move! Take the White/Blue wire from the upper right hand corner of the black junction box (It's the only White/Blue wire in all those wires!) and pick a suitable point at which to cut it so that after soldering a connector pin onto each of the new ends, the end from the seat junction box can be inserted into the new multiplug at Point No 1, next to the red wire, and the end from the ignition can be inserted into Point No 7, with a blank on each side of it. Removal of the small cable tie on the lower right hand side of the black junction box will give better access for this. Now it should look something like this

The captive hex head screw that holds together the two parts of the black seat junction box can be loosened sufficiently to allow it to clamp the new module in position and when its plug is inserted, that's the job complete! All that remains is to reconnect the battery and when it all works as you've dreamed it should, wonder why Jaguar didn't do something like that on Day1. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by astromorg; 01-03-13 at 14:54.

Post Thanks / Like

In the first post you got IMG twice next to each, just delete one either side

eg
    Current Car:
    2016 XF 3.0d S, 17MY - 35k miles, Ultimate Black and loads of extras.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY

Resident Super Moderator.
    My 2016 x260 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I'd be grateful for more info on how you did that!! I think I've tried every combination of img and direct links from Photobucket with and without the img button on the Forum with no joy. Sometimes a message says Only Allowed so many pixels x so many pixels but viewing the photos on Photobucket and checking their properties suggests they're all inside the limit!

Frustrated and Depondent Astromorg!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do the post for you 2 ticks.
    Current Car:

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Your images may only be up to 700 pixels high.
    Your images may only be up to 901 pixels wide.

You need to resize your images put the hyperlink for your pictures between them two img tags, job done. Only one img tag each side of the link!
    Current Car:

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like something I'd be guaranteed to stuff up!
    Anyone fancy making a few quid and fitting these for ppl?
    2010 XF 3.0D Portfolio S
    Not your average Jag driver...

Post Thanks / Like