Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Power Sockets

Post Thanks / Like

Auxiliary Power Sockets

I finally got round to fitting these today, one in the glovebox, one in the boot. I thought it would be a good idea to use the Jaguar parts, as they have the plugs to fit the sockets provided on the car. I went to the local dealer, who said they were discontinued. "I can only tell you what I tell all the others who ask for these, there's just no demand for them" he said, without a trace of irony.

Another dealer said he would check round for old stock, and phoned back a couple of hours later to say he had managed to locate a couple. I asked how much, he said £35 each + VAT (yes thirty-five, not three pounds fifty pence). Now I know why there's no demand!

So I bought a couple of 12v caravan power sockets for £11.00 off Ebay, a few bullet and spade connectors. The rear one was dead easy, I found the connector next to the CD changer. There were three wires, Black (earth) Brown, and Green/Brown. Checking the wiring diagram, I found the brown/green is ignition dependant, and the brown is direct to the battery, so you apparently have a choice, either permanently live or live only with ignition (position 1). Fortunately, the prongs in the plug will fit female spade connectors, so I used one for the permanent live, and one for earth. I put a 10A fuse in line on the live side (two spade connectors, and an old large spade type flat fuse), and ran the wiring round to the off-side rear, as per the Jaguar instructions, havind cut a hole in the interior trim. Job done.

The glove-box fitting was equally straight forward, apart from locating the socket, which is tucked up behind that huge piece of transverse steel tubing, then trying to detatch it from the plastic connector which secures it to the car. The connector was indestructible, took 15 minutes of swearing before it and the car parted company. After that it was easy. The trickiest bit was obtaining a 25mm drill to make the hole in the back of the glove-box.

I now have heated screen washer jets, auto-powerfold mirrors, and two aux. power sockets. Only the puddle lights to be done, and I'll be satisfied.

R

westville

Re: Auxiliary Power Sockets

Nice one Rog
    Perhaps you would like to add this "how to" on this link HERE
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Fitted a Jag one to my XJ the other week (same part number as X Type) and the prices have about trebled since I fitted one to my X Type which were £12 at the time which I thought was steep!
    Luckily someone had put a new one for sale in the for sale section the other week so snapped it up.
    The genuine Jag one fitted to the connector already in the boot on the X Type is a permanent live
    Link here:-
    viewtopic.php?t=3501
    BuckMR2
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...MR2/sigggy.jpg
    07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was prepared to pay £12 - £15 for the genuine Jag article, but £42 is daylight robbery. At least **** Turpin had the common decency to wear a mask.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how I fitted the rear one

This is the Caravan type 12v power I obtained You can find them on Ebay.

Remove the carpets and undo the clips to remove the trim covering the boot latch. Pull the trim panel outwards just enough to clear the latch, then upwards. There are 4 or 5 plastic locator pins which hold the trim in place, they are under the top edge, and vulnerable to breakage if you don't pull upwards.

Removing the nearside trim panel will reveal the CD changer, sat nav, etc. The auxiliary power supply socket can be seen connected to the car next to the CD Changer. There are 3 wires and 3 prongs in the connector. The Black is Earth. The other 2 prongs at right-angles to earth are Brown/Green, which is ignition dependant, and Brown, which is battery connected and permanently live. I chose the Brown because I wanted a supply independant of the ignition. Standard 6.3mm insulated spade connectors fit the prongs perfectly.

I made a wiring loom from some 13amp PVC insulated flex. Run it parallel with the loom along under the boot latch to the offside. About 5 feet should be sufficient.

About half way, cut the live wire and attch two spade connectors. Do this BEFORE you connect to the battery supply, unless you disconnected the battery.

You can then use an old large 10A automotive spade fuse to protect the circuit. It is accessible for inspection without dismantling, by reaching down under the boot-latch trim.

Remove the offside trim panel, by extracting two the securing pins, one just below the boot light and one behind the rear seat squab. Disconnect the boot light plug, withdraw the panel.

With a craft knife, make a snug fitting hole in the bulge just below the elastic CD case retainer, as shown here. Connect the live wire to the centre and the earth to the body using two spade connectors. Check the polarity, it may be important for some applications.

Then reassemble, job done.

The wiring for the glove box connector is the same. The socket is hidden up behind the large steel tube wich keeps the two sides of the car the requisite distance apart, and the colour coding is the same. You need a drill for the hole at the back of the glove box, the centre point is 55mm from the base and 25mm in from the RHS.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a few more pics of the Jag one, which is permanent live too even and all 3 connectors (in 1 plug) are used for some reason??

The 12v socket had to be relocated back to the LH side once the sub went in though

BuckMR2
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...MR2/sigggy.jpg
    07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

westville

Thanks Rog - link posted in the How To thread HERE
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I've read Roger's detailed info on how to fit an Aux power socket in the boot and glove box; nice one Roger.
    However, having spent some time standing on my head, and even with a torch and mirror, I cannot find the connector under the dashboard?
    Can you point me in the right direction please?
    Thanks, Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

As an alternative to the glove box position (mines always full so I could never manage to plug anything in it!) I used a Ring dual socket powered through the standard Jag feed (once I'd freed the cable from the securing bracket !!!). With a small amount of cutting it fitted neatly into the ash tray. I added an extra in line 10A fuse and used the permanently live connector - the alternative being ignition Position II, engine running - as I wanted to be able to charge the mobile and speed detector / sat nav when parked. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when fitting as I spent too long trying to get the cable disconnected from its securing bracket. If you can get your hands around it, the cable plugs in to an empty socket which is itself secured to a steel bracket with a one way fir tree type plastic push in and, in theory, you could squeeze the side of the connector and pull the wire and it's plug out rearwards (in the direction of the wires) but I ended up breaking the fir tree with a long nosed pliers and freeing the whole assembly. Only after I freed it I saw that the securing device was an empty socket and it was possible to simply remove the wire and its plug.

The 3 lights are a battery charge indicator which is OK for peace of mind showing that all is well with the charging system.

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate now replaced by 2015 Mazda 6 2.2D estate (Euro 6 compliance needed for London)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I need to correct my post above, It has been a while since I did this and it may be that the connector with the feed wires was fixed with the fir tree and the empty socket can be removed by squeezing the side and removing it. I assume this would then allow the connector for the extension wiring in the Jaguar kit to be pushed in in place of the empty one. If you want to use simple female connectors to mate with the feeds in the original wiring (as I did) you will need to release the connector. This is impossible to see, even after removing the complete glove box assembly being attached somewhere close to the tubular member that runs across the width of the car. As I said I ended up doing this with a pair of long nosed pliers, a torch and a small mirror. The only other way to see what you are doing would be by removing the dash assembly to get at it from the top !!!!!!!!

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate now replaced by 2015 Mazda 6 2.2D estate (Euro 6 compliance needed for London)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast