Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spark plug change in 2.1 x type sport

Post Thanks / Like

spark plug change in 2.1 x type sport

hi there all, just done a spark plug change on my x type today, it took the best of 2 hours to do the work, as most of you would know by now that in order to carry out this job you have to take the inlet manifold off (YES YOU DO HAVE TO TAKE IT OFF). it is impossible to change them otherwise, in my car i was experiencing a missfire under load, had it on the diagnostics but came up with no faults so i put it down to 1 of the plugs being faulty although the service history suggested that they had been replaced 8 months ago with ngk pltanum but low & behold when i removed them they had changed their make & looked worse for wear in other words they had not been changed, never tust service records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Anyway, my reccomendation on this particular job is that if your reasonably mechanical minded then you shoul be able to do it with a bit of patience & care. the front 3 plugs are easy enough to remove just take off the air filter box, then an 8 mm socket to remove the coil packs & your away. Now when it gets to the 3 on the bulkhead side of the engine it gets tricky. I personally removed all the electrical plugs off the manifold 1st, then there are 2 water pipes going into it also so take them off, then i removed the vacuum pipes now these are a bit tricky & delicate you have to push down on the wee black ring on the bottom of them & gently pull the pipe out at the same time being careful not to break them.next i located the four 10 mm bolts on the back of the manifold that support it, there are 2 at the top 1 on the throttle side & 1 at the bottom which is an awkward one, you dont have to take the 2 top ones out completely because they are slotted to take the wiring loom brackets however you do have to completely remove the other 2 quite a testing job i have 2 say a lot of scratches on my arms lol, next job was to take the throttle body off its held by four 10 mm bolts, then finally there are six 8mm bolts holding down the manifold, remove these & make a record of where they came from because they vary in sizes, once you have done all that the manifold should just lift off, but do it carefully & be careful that you dont drop anything into the now exposed manifold ports, also keep the gaskets clean. when you have replaced the other 3 plugs just repeat the procedure in the opposite way, my car runs as sweet as a nut now & ive gained on the mpg which is always a good thing.
    I hope this will have been some help to you, By the way my local jaguar dealer quoted me £280 to carry out this work, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spark plug change in 2.1 x type sport

I hope you don't mind me adding a few photo's to your excellent write up - (I've got autogas so a few extra pipes are shown in the photo's - just ignore them - I also did things in a slightly different order so some of the photo's might not show the same sequencing)

JTIS advidsed that the coolant should be drained first so that is what I did - did I need to?? This required the undertray to be removed first:

The front 3 plugs are easy enough to remove just take off the air filter box, then an 8 mm socket to remove the coil packs & your away
    Now when it gets to the 3 on the bulkhead side of the engine it gets tricky. I personally removed all the electrical plugs off the manifold 1st
    One on top

two on the drivers side

One to the inlet tract

one to the throttle body

I also removed the inlet tract by unclipping it

then there are 2 water pipes going into it also so take them off

then i removed the vacuum pipes now these are a bit tricky & delicate you have to push down on the wee black ring on the bottom of them & gently pull the pipe out at the same time being careful not to break them

This one just pulls off

next i located the four 10 mm bolts on the back of the manifold that support it, there are 2 at the top 1 on the throttle side & 1 at the bottom which is an awkward one, you dont have to take the 2 top ones out completely because they are slotted to take the wiring loom brackets however you do have to completely remove the other 2 quite a testing job i have 2 say a lot of scratches on my arms lol,
    My 2.5 only had three easy bolts :P

next job was to take the throttle body off its held by four 10 mm bolts

then finally there are six 8mm bolts holding down the manifold, remove these & make a record of where they came from because they vary in sizes
    The rubber washers are also different sizes so make careful note:

Long bolts in manifold locations:

once you have done all that the manifold should just lift off, but do it carefully & be careful that you dont drop anything into the now exposed manifold ports, also keep the gaskets clean. when you have replaced the other 3 plugs just repeat the procedure in the opposite way, my car runs as sweet as a nut now & ive gained on the mpg which is always a good thing.
    I hope this will have been some help to you, By the way my local jaguar dealer quoted me £280 to carry out this work, cheers.

All coil packs and plugs can now easily be removed

My opld v new plugs (rubbish picture) old gap was about 3mm!!

Ex 2005 X-Type Estate 2.5 AWD LPG
    Maserati 3200GT - Daily Driver
    1977 1500 Midget - de-bumpered and glass fronted.
    Ford Fiesta Mk2 1985 - 2.1 Turbo - Trackday special

westville

Great joint effort - will you put up a link on the How To thread HERE?

BTW - just what is a spark plug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dunnah01
    JTIS advidsed that the coolant should be drained first so that is what I did - did I need to?? This required the undertray to be removed first:
    No, you don't need to touch the cooling system. I printed out the guide from this site which has been posted a few times. It's a very easy job when you have the full info on the hidden bolts etc, but it still seems to scare people to death

http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...ing-plugs.html
    2002, 3 Litre Sport, Auto, Titanium Grey with Saville Grey Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Did it on my 2.5 couple of months back - found some eejit had put ford mondeo plugs in it - no wonder it was running like a dog.....

Anyway, I used this blog for mine;

http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/200 ... plugs.html

It has full destructions and photos.

Biggest pain for me was re-screwing the middle screw at the back of block - in hindsight, should probably of unscrewed from the bulkhead rather than the block - at least I would have been able to see what I was doing

Oh, and I didn't drain teh fluid at the time either.

Aus

Post Thanks / Like

you guys are amazing ... i would certainly have my dealer replace it for me
    Pearl-Grey X-type 2.0V6 Oct 2005
    (Singapore)

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, my nearest dealer is 2 hours and 130km away - plus is cost a lot lot less

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: spark plug change in 2.1 x type sport

Great guide Thanks a lot, going to try this next weekend if my spark plugs get delivered fast enough.

Some questions though, i'm a newbie in car maintenance so might seem stupid questions to some of you:
    1.) Do you need anything besides spark plugs to complete this change? (some kind of grease or whatnot)
    2.) What other parts it would make sense to replace within same operation? Are there any filters or something else that requires inlet manifold to be taken off for replacing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay334
    Great guide Thanks a lot, going to try this next weekend if my spark plugs get delivered fast enough.

Some questions though, i'm a newbie in car maintenance so might seem stupid questions to some of you:
    1.) Do you need anything besides spark plugs to complete this change? (some kind of grease or whatnot)
    2.) What other parts it would make sense to replace within same operation? Are there any filters or something else that requires inlet manifold to be taken off for replacing?
    Having completed the spark plug change i can answer the questions myself.
    1.) Nothing really special needed. What i actually lacked myself was a 16MM spark plug socket. I did have a 16mm socket but the spark plugs require a socket that is really deep - otherwise the "butt" of the spark plug gets in the way and you won't be able to screw the plug loose.

Also i had to create sort of a loop out of strong wire to get the plugs out after they had been screwed loose. Thin pair of pinchers would do the trick aswell.

2.) Engine air filter seemed to be the only easily replacable part that you reach during this procedure. Though my air filter was still quite clean after 210K km so just blew some dust off and kept using the same one

From first glance it seems cleaning the MAF sensor & changing spark plugs redeces fuel usage quite a bit. But will have to drive around some more to get reliable numbers.

Thanks for the excellent guide, the old spark plugs had really worn out during 210K km.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay334

Having completed the spark plug change i can answer the questions myself.
    1.) Nothing really special needed. What i actually lacked myself was a 16MM spark plug socket. I did have a 16mm socket but the spark plugs require a socket that is really deep - otherwise the "butt" of the spark plug gets in the way and you won't be able to screw the plug loose.

Also i had to create sort of a loop out of strong wire to get the plugs out after they had been screwed loose. Thin pair of pinchers would do the trick aswell.

2.) Engine air filter seemed to be the only easily replacable part that you reach during this procedure. Though my air filter was still quite clean after 210K km so just blew some dust off and kept using the same one

From first glance it seems cleaning the MAF sensor & changing spark plugs redeces fuel usage quite a bit. But will have to drive around some more to get reliable numbers.

Thanks for the excellent guide, the old spark plugs had really worn out during 210K km.[/quote]

And a correction
    1.) 'Inlet port-o rings' aka 'GASKET-INLET MANIFOLD' (C2S14519) are suggested to be replaced during this procedure http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/dd ... 20MANIFOLD

2.) Engine air filter (optional, mine was not dirty at all)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast