Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Boot Access

Post Thanks / Like

Emergency Boot Access

Further to posts posing the problem of getting into the boot in the event of a lock electrical failure or locking the keys in the boot, here are two simple, cheap solutions. One to undertake IN ADVANCE of the problem arising in your car that can be used easily in a far, distant place and one that will work if you get caught out before carrying out that modification, but it needs a drill. My car is MY 2005, but I don’t know to what other years this will apply but it’s easy enough to open up and look to see if yours is the same setup.

First, the precautionary method:

Inside the boot, remove the plastic covering to the locking system and the pulldown handle next to it. The pulldown is held with two torx screws but the cover uses these plastic fixings that easily distort.

Use very light pressure on the screwdriver as these screws will strip even when undoing them! If all else fails, they can just be pulled out and replaced with new. Then remove the locking motor assembly held on with these three torx screws, remembering to mark the position of the lock to allow it to be replaced in exactly the same position later.

You should now see some of the internals as shown here

Attach a 10 inch long tie wrap as shown here to the arm that I think is used in the US spec to allow an internal operating pull to be attached, to allow trapped children to escape! The knob has to glow in the dark! Note the plastic lock cover has an opening for this. Anyway, it’s just what we need for this project.

Now feed the end of this tie wrap through this hole and replace the lock assembly.

Remove the number plate and you can now feed the tie wrap end through the topmost spare number plate hole in the boot lid as shown in this shot from inside

And this from outside.

Time now for a trial run. Pull the tie wrap end and the boot should unlock. If so, replace the number plate until emergency access is required and refit the internal boot lid trim. That’s all there is to it, but it might save you a lot of frustration in the future.

Then the method if you didn't quite get around to the above before getting caught out, that I haven't done on my own car but has been proved by Deeekent!

The link is: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=75923 Go straight to Page 3.
    Last edited by astromorg; 10-12-15 at 19:13.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2006 Auto Sovereign 3.0 X Type Saloon

2. Thanks mrmut thanked for this post
    Likes Irish Pappy, Tiptronic, fullstretch liked this post
    westville

Re: Emergency Boot Access

Nice one Astro man - will you be putting a link to your wiring info here an also one on the How To Guides?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Damn clever that!

Post Thanks / Like

This is very useful, but also for the wrong people!

Can I suggest to everyone, don't annouce here online that you've done this mod!
    2009 XKR Portfolio - 12.4 @ 115.5mph
    2005 XJR - 12.9 @ 107.6mph
    2005 X-Type & 2001 S-Type - long gone
    2008 Freelander2 - ex wife got it...
    www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau

6. Thanks Jaggeoff thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a similar thing last year using a choke cable off on old ford, conspicuously placed between the rear seat and D post. Fed thru the boot umbilical and sticky foam pad retained to the inner surface of the boot lid. Attached to the pull rod an that was it, only opening from inside the car!
    2l Petrol, Retro fit=Sat Nav,PwrFold,Rr Park Aid,Full Lthr,Htd Frt Scrn,Rr Splr,Clear Side Repeater's,18"Aruba's,2 Cup Console,Heavy Chrome Pack,Twin Round Tailpiece,Red Caliper's,Rr Pwr Window's,Spkr Upgrade,More to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice - but why not route the cable back into the seat cabin, should be possible to secrete it somewhere (under carpet?)
    (as long as the cable can be fixed somewhere to the body so it doesn't slip, allowing you to pull down on the bolt by pulling the cable)
    2010 XF 3.0D Portfolio S
    Not your average Jag driver...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I considered all sorts of options - even a model radio controlled servo running off independent battery supply, but hey, I haven't needed this mod in the last six years and I think I'll be unlucky to need it the next six. But if I do need it better a half hour's minimalist solution now than all the difficulties of gaining entry the hard way! If the locking mechanism was not on the boot lid it would be easier to run a cable into the cabin and I'm impressed that the old Ford choke cable fitted by Prod Eng works though such a tortuous route. But that still lets you lock the car, open the boot and then shut it with the keys inside. Oops!!

I don't see it as a security risk in a practical sense.

The good thing is, with all these alternatives everyone can now fit their own solution to suit their tastes, abilities and interest. One thing is almost certain: someone reading this will get caught out in the future and say 'I wish I'd got round to fitting one of those ideas!!'
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2006 Auto Sovereign 3.0 X Type Saloon

10. Likes italino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Astromorg. That's brilliant. Thanks very much for posting that.

Since there isn't a Haynes manual for the X-Type and the fact that you write such good articles with excellent photos, would you consider dismantling your car and rebuilding it for the benefit of other X-type owners? I'd buy an Astromorg manual.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the early X-Types have a different boot lock mechanism. My lock is only held in by two torx screws and when removed doesn't reveal anything. I assume that the child release mechanism was fitted later. My car is a Y reg but Astromorg did say that other models might not be the same as his.

I agree about the plastic clips with the central screw. They are the spawn of the devil.

On the plus side I never knew I had a pull down handhold. I'd never got my head that far into the boot and looked up before.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

OriginalCaruso
    A note of caution for 08/09 facelift Estate models - I have just tried implementing this excellent mod but the lock is completely different to the photos above, the lock cover plate is held on with a 5 star with pin torx like security bolt, taking this off allows removal of the electrical actuator, I could not see the loop through which the tie-wrap is connected

If you want to check:

Open the boot and pop the cover plate off the fascia panel which surrounds the lock, it is secured by 4 tags, 2 on left, 2 on right
    Pull trim panel off interior of tailgate
    Remove 4 torx screws
    Open tailgate glass and remove cover over tailgate locking mechanism
    Remove 2 torx screws
    With long screwdriver remove fascia panel from tailgate, you may need a long screwdriver to pop fixings - there are 6 of them but not all are easily accessible
    Slide cover off tailgate lock
    Remove wiring connector from tailgate lock
    Remove 3 torx screws securing lock to tailgate having marked position first

Remove 5 star with pin torx like security bolt - you will find the black top section comes out but be careful realigning when reassembling as the cam needs to be correctly located to the bar which actuates the lock

Without checking I can't be sure for earlier models, my keyfob has a button to remotely open the tailgate so that may be a quick way of determining whether you can do this mod or not - I'm sure someone will be able to confirm
    Last edited by OriginalCaruso; 28-06-12 at 07:21.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast