Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Filters and Oil Change on Diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Filters and Oil Change on Diesel

This isn't the definitive service guide, but hopefully a help to some of you to DIY a Filter and Oil change.

I've tried to keep it simple, with the fewest of tools, so don't start shouting if you see me using things like "mole grips", I wouldn't normally use them as a rule, but thought it useful to show it's possible with very little tool kit.

Things you'll need, I bought genuine air, oil and cabin filters and a Bosch fuel filter from Ebay.
    Oil is your choice make sure it's the right grade that meets the Fords Spec, WSS-M2C913B as per handbook.

And a few tools, 13mm ring spanner, screwdrivers, grips, rags and containers

Fuel Filter
    You'll need a bit of diesel to prefill your new filter, as I had a tank full I decided to collect some from the injector return pipe.
    Pop the thinner of the three pipes off the old filter.

Block the hole on the old filter top with the rubber bung off the new filter and sit the free return pipe in a clean and dry container like this
    Run the car until you get 1/2 a litre.

Now you need to replace the rubber bung back on the new filter, turn it upside down remove the drain screw and fill it with the fuel (I put 20ml of Forte Diesel conditioner in there as well)
    Refit the drain plug
    Remove the old filter from the bracket, the union clips "squeeze" and slide out before you can pull the hoses free.
    Then the old filter pulls up as you push a spring clip back.

Fit the new filter to the bracket, just slides in, clip the hoses back on it the same order they came off.

Job done, now run the car a while, check for leaks and warm the Engine Oil up a little.

Drop the Oil
    Once you've warmed up the Oil, park the car with the Off Side wheels on the kerb this will give you just enough room to drop the undertray, use a old rug or cardboard to lay on, I have a mixture of different screws holding the undertray on, but all come out with a screwdriver or grips.
    Once the screws are free you need to get your hand around the edges and pull it down.

Place a bowl under the engine oil drain plug, a little to one side as it'll fire out at an angle.
    Undo the drain plug with the ring end of the 13mm spanner (the genuine oil filter kit comes with a new drain plug, so you can bin this one)

Here is comes!

Let it drain off while you...........
    Replace Air Filter
    Easy, just undo the cross headed screws on the airbox cover

Pull the old out

Fit the new and screw back up.

Cabin Filter
    Pop up the "fir tree clips" across the back edge of the engine bay

Pull the middle trim off towards you

Pull open the trim to reveal the Cabin Filter

Pull the old out and fit the new in the right way around, arrows on the filter pointing towards the inside of the car.
    Refit the trim in reverse.

All the oil should be drained by now, so
    Remove the Oil Filter
    Undo the housing

Pull the old filter out of the housing, fit the new rubber seal.

Fit the new filter in, it fits in to a clip, prefill with oil and screw back up.
    Once it stops screwing in, that's it, don't over do it

Fit the new Drain plug bolt in and tighten it up with the ring spanner, you shouldn't be able to over do it if it's a short spanner.

Now, pour in 5.5 litres of the oil of your choice and run the car checking under that there are no leaks. (Cut your milk container down and use the spout as a funnel.

No leaks? Then refit the undertray and put the car back on the flat.

Leave it for 1/2 hour while you clean up (pour the old oil in the empty oil container for disposal later) and have a brew, curse the weather, wonder why a dealer will empty your wallet for doing this.

Recheck the oil level and top up to the required level.
    Last edited by BuckMR2; 16-03-13 at 23:06. Reason: Stickied

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Filters and Oil Change on Diesel

Absolutely fantastic post

Thanks Goudy, i tip my hat to you kind sir
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...P1000905-1.jpghttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_2078-1.jpg
    Jaguar x-type 2.0d silver 2004 (53 plate)
    WE ARE ALL PRISONERS OF TECHNOLOGY !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Goudy, it was interesting to see this. Out of interest roughly how much did the filters cost? Would the main stealer usually change the fuel filter and cabin filters at the correct mileage?
    2.0d 2005.

4. Likes kennymac liked this post
    westville

Nice One Goudy - another VERY helpful addition to the How To Library
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kram
    Goudy, it was interesting to see this. Out of interest roughly how much did the filters cost? Would the main stealer usually change the fuel filter and cabin filters at the correct mileage?
    Cabin = £13.95 free post
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0576363871

Oil Filter kit = £10 free post
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0537687927

Air filter = £10.50, free post
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0573532584

Fuel Filter £11.18 Plus £3.99 postage
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0580107777

Forte Diesel Treatment £9,60 free post, I put 20ml in the fuel filter when I prefilled it and put the rest in the tank that was 3/4 full.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0700181497

Methinks the air and fuel filter should be every 37.5K, which I think is a bit far.
    Cabin and oil filters every 12.5K.
    I do about 8k in this car every year, so that's my schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too expensive then my car just had a 62k service done before I brought it, but I dont know what got replaced as the dealer just put 62,000 service May have to take a look at the cabin filter to see if that got replaced. If Not then I have to presume just the oil and filter.
    2.0d 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

What should have been done if it was a Jag Dealer is here
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17878

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have seen that, and looking at that the cabin or pollen filter should be changed every time. So, I am going to check it once it stops raining
    2.0d 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from suffering from hayfever what are the real benefits of changing the pollen/cabin filter? I know people complain of whiffy smells sometimes in the cabin, but if you are not getting this is it worth changing?

Post Thanks / Like

When it clogs up, it'll reduce the air flow into the Heater/Aircon.

First off you'll get a poor performing heater/air con.

Second, the air flow in, cools the rheostat that controls the heater fan speed, it'll over heat and burn out. That's why most car handbooks say not to close off the outside air (recirculate button) for prolonged use.

12. Likes rickgordon liked this post
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast