Thread: Front Wind Deflector Fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Front Wind Deflector Fitting

I ordered a set from eBay here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

At the time of ordering they were £23.45 + £5.65 P+P. I ordered them on Sunday and they arrived today (from Germany I think), which was a lot quicker than the estimated 6-8 days.

First up, they were packaged very well.

They are manufactured by a Polish company:

Bag of seperate clips that came with them:

X Type 3.0 Sport (Manual) & Mitsubishi Evo IX Wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Front Wind Deflector Fitting

So, onto the fitting........

(TBC later)

Post Thanks / Like

Right, back to the fitting. Big thanks go to my wife for helping with this while I supervised and took the pics

So, first job is to thoroughly clean the window channels:

Next, remove the covers that are on the sticky tape at either end of the deflector:

Then locate the part of the deflector nearest the wing mirror, just push it in place:

And then push the other end of the deflector into postion:

Then you need to slightly bend the whole thing to slot the main part of the deflector into the window channel:

Finally, there are two clips that need to be pushed in to complete the job. These are shown in an earlier picture. You will notice one side of the clip has a triangular part sticking out, presumably as a gripper, so we decided to face that part towards the rubber part of the channel rather than the actual deflector as we assumed this would damage it. Pushing these in was the hardest part of the job, and we found using a screwdriver head or pliers and pushing quite hard they did go into place:

Once fitted, we tested to ensure the window opens and closes ok and they are fine. A test drive though gave us some wind noise and we think we need to adjust the rubber slightly to quieten this.....you can see how it's slightly distorted by the clip.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, here's so pics of the completed job. I was a little concerned that it may look weird having just front ones fitted, but to me that's not the case......quite happy how they look.

So, overall....as long as I can quieten the bit of wind noise slightly then for about £30 I am a happy man

westville

Oh that sort of wind
    Nice one - are you putting a link in the How To Guides?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westville
    Nice one - are you putting a link in the How To Guides?
    Have done that now Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Been thinking of getting a set of these and l think l'm convinced now!

Amazingly looking at your Jag gave me a damn fine picture of what mine will look like. It's frighting how similar they are. I have a phone holder in the same place on the window and blindspot mirrors too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony73
    Looks good. Been thinking of getting a set of these and l think l'm convinced now!
    For £30 it could be the best mod I could ever hope to do on her.......anything to stop the ****** rain coming in

Post Thanks / Like

Spirit, out of interest, are those clips that go in against the rubber really necessary? The wind deflectors l had on my previous car (Punto Grande) never came with those clips and they were official Fiat OEM's. They never fell out either, and seeing as you also had adhesive pads to stick them in l'm wondering whether they are really needed? Aside from possibly damaging the rubber it may actually be causing the problem with the wind noise due to the window not sitting correctly in the housing. Maybe it might be worth trying them without the clips and see how you get on?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought last night Tony, and in fact removed the ones by the wing mirrors earlier today. Whilst the wind noise is certainly less, it's still there.....but I think it is literally swirling around the deflectors themselves now and nothing to do with the windows.