Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nav DVD

Post Thanks / Like

New Nav DVD

Hi,

Long time no post......

Just been advised my new Nav disk (2011 - 2012) has just arrived on my doormat from Navteq

Is it just a case now of taking the old disk out of the machine, and putting in this new one. Will it upgrade stuff automatically, or do I have to do this 1971 thing? Ignition on or off?

1st time I've done this, so thoughts greatly appreciated.... 05 3ltr X Estate, btw (original, as supplied, disk still in machine)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Nav DVD

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the new nav disc!

I don't know if there is a new software for the nav system, or if it's just new maps. It also depends on the existing map disc that you have. I'll assume you have an old one (with green logo).

You need to have the ignition on (car can be running, or not, doesn't matter) so that the navscreen is operational.
    Go to the boot & eject the current disc, then load in the new disc. Any software updates will start automatically.

DO NOT switch off the ignition until the updates complete. You'll see flashing 51 & 50 (or is it 52?) on the outside temp display while the nav screen is black. Whatever you do don't panic, and don't switch off the ignition!

The update can take up to 10 minutes or more. Once it's done the nav screen should come back on & you'll have lost all your stored addresses and previous destinations. You'll also have to re-set your home address, search by country etc.

Good luck & let us know if you see any major improvements with the new disc! Try to take some pics if there are big changes.
    2009 XKR Portfolio - 12.4 @ 115.5mph
    2005 XJR - 12.9 @ 107.6mph
    2005 X-Type & 2001 S-Type - long gone
    2008 Freelander2 - ex wife got it...
    www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the install instructions PM me your email and I'll forward them to you but they are as above
    BuckMR2
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...MR2/sigggy.jpg
    07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

My X-Type has a 2005/06 disc in the system (I only got the car just under 4 weeks ago) and I would be keen to hear your experience with this update.

can I also ask where you finally sourced your disc, part number and cost? (if you don't mind).

Thanks

Derek
    Lexus is220d
    (I know it's not a Jaguar but I still like them and want one again...)

Post Thanks / Like

Cambo351,

Instructions pretty much spot on my friend

Derekosb,

Relatively straight forward, Cambo351 has nailed it:

- With the ignition on, took out the old disk, and inserted the new one.

- Then got a series of status messages on the screen such as 'Preparing to load system software', followed by 'System software is updating. Version 09.03. Do not turn off the ignition'. All the while the outside temp guage swiches between 51 / 52.

- After approx 2 minutes, the screen cleared, and displayed the Jaguar Logo (now white on black rather than white on green). The external temp guage also stops switching between 51 / 52.

- Screen then returned to the Nav screen (if memory serves).

The update appears to reset the heating settings, and clears all previous destinations, stored locations and the 'home' location. Suspect, although haven't checked it probably also clears the phone address book.

There appears to be slight cosmetic updates e.g. the compass pointer has changed from the 2 back to back triangles (1 red / 1 clear) to a different graphic. Warning screen also has different wording.

The biggest change seems to be the way the map is rendered. On the previous version, the pointer stayed in middle of the screen and the map 'swung' around it (with the compass pointer swinging as well). Now the pointer moves, but the map only scrolls up / down and left / right. Haven't yet seen a menu item to change it. Not sure I like it this way.

The disks are now on line from Navteq (http://www.navigation.com) and cost £169 inc of VAT (also includes free shipping until the end of August). I ordered the disk Weds late morning and received it Thursday am.

Hope this Helps

westville

Well done Mark - nice explanation - are you going to add a link on the How To Guides? as this comes up fairly frequently
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark
    On the previous version, the pointer stayed in middle of the screen and the map 'swung' around it (with the compass pointer swinging as well). Now the pointer moves, but the map only scrolls up / down and left / right. Haven't yet seen a menu item to change it.
    Top left of the screen is a small icon. Press that to toggle between "north up" and "direction up". If you zoom out beyond 2 miles, it's always "north up"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronShepherd
    Top left of the screen is a small icon. Press that to toggle between "north up" and "direction up". If you zoom out beyond 2 miles, it's always "north up"
    Top Man yup - just tried it - pressing the compass icon in the top left of the screen - switches over - and shows the '2 triangle compass icon' that I am used to - pressing againg switches back, brilliant

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westville
    Well done Mark - nice explanation - are you going to add a link on the How To Guides? as this comes up fairly frequently
    Jim
    Can do ...... err how do I do that?

Mark

westville

Done HERE
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast