Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P0406 (& P0402) EGR Fault Code

westville

P0406 (& P0402) EGR Fault Code

This is the code showing on my 08MY 26000mile 2.2D Cat IV stepper motor driven EGR vehicle

The symptoms I noticed (eventually ):
    • Moderate acceleration - glow plug flashes and limp mode kicks in (once reset does not happen again [ happened maybe 5 times over last 6 weeks])
      Stalling when pulling away from stationary (twice - weeks apart [forgot all about that]}
      Otherwise no loss of power or reliability

Whole vehicle IDS analysis shows just 1 code for the ECM - P0406
    Description: Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit high
    IDS Symptoms:
    • The customer will notice significant loss of performance and power [NOT ME]
      On the first occurence of this fault the powertrain check lamp - (flashing glow plug lamp) on the instrument cluster will illuminate
      On the 3rd consecutive occurence of the fault after key-on engine on the malfunction indicator lamp (engine/fuel pump symbol) will illuminate.

Possible Causes:
    • Faulty connector that is reporting a signal lower than the maximum range of the sensor, thus reporting a 'high' fault short circuit to battery.
      A jammed open valve

Actions Required:
    Note the fault may be seen with P0402, this code is reporting the same faulty exhaust gas recirculation valve
    • Check all wiring connections first to confirm all connectors are connected and the wiring harness is not faulty
      Check for open circuits, short circuits
      Jammed open valve - replace the exhaust gas recirculation valve assembly.

Connector/pin information:
    • Powertrain control module pins 7, 8 and 27
      Exhaust Gas Recirculation pins 6, 4 and 2
    Diagnosis and Result on my car:
    Strongly recommended by a trustworthy indy (N&S Wakefield) to replace the EGR valve He has tested the wiring and connectors - no problems there so it is down to a fault in the valve. I discussed cleaning etc - he felt if it did anything it was only a temporary fix and that the stepper motor version of the EGR (as fitted to mine) was more prone to this failure and that no amount of cleaning, WD40'ing or greasing would resolve the situation.

Conclusion: I have had my long held belief confirmed - "What a piece of C**P the Jaguar EGR system is" - my car has been absolutely cherished - wants for nothing - serviced on time, driven with care and consideration - clean fuel and engine cleaner now and again - EGR cleaned - ONLY DONE 26000 miles for God's sake and still the ****** useless piece of c**p has failed!
    Jaguar you should hang your head in shame - a "quality" marque - my arse

Hope this info helps others
    Jim

2. Likes stinkydog liked this post
    westville

Re: P0406 (& P0402) EGR Fault Code

Right "spare" EGR fitted today - lets see how long this one lasts

The original valve appears to work perfectly - slightly oily gunge on the surfaces but not blocked and piston and motor both move easily - frustrating piece of machinery the EGR

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim have you had the (failed) EGR blanked in any way prior to this failure?

westville

For a short time (2/3 months) I ran her with an 8mm hole - I actually forgot to put it back in having removed it for some warranty work and dealer service this time last year
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim has replacing the EGR valve sorted out the running and code problems on your car.Tim

westville

Yes - but I've only been out for a few miles today
    Going on a long run tomorrow evening will be better able to judge then when I can get her up to temp and give it a bit of welly
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westville
    For a short time (2/3 months) I ran her....
    So for the last year you have been singing the praises of something you don't have fitted........ hmmm

westville

Rather embarrasingly yes - it was only yesterday when I unhooked the EGR I thought - "where's that blanking plate gone?"
    Bit more than a senior moment methinks

Post Thanks / Like

Tutt, did you not notice a decrease in mpg or increase in soot out the back end ...... is it back in now?

westville

Funnily enough no noticeable decrease in mpg but I did have my tuning box on as well which masked the performance figures
    Absolutely no sooty smoke ever on the car.
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast