Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) FAQ’s, Tips & Tricks

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) FAQ’s, Tips & Tricks

I have an X-Type, S-Type Facelift or XJ X350 and I want to connect my ipod/mp3/whatever into the factory head unit. Is there an aux or line-in?
    No. The factory head units do not have an aux or line in. There are a few possibilities how you could do this;
    #1 You need to install Jaguar’s Audio Connectivity Module (ACM)
    #2 You need to install a 3rd party interface, for example Parrot Mki9200
    #3 If you have a cassette player, you can use an old-school tape unit with line in.
    #4 If you have an X350 with rear entertainment, there is an aux input in the rear console with RCA’s that can be set for audio through the whole car
    #5 If you don’t have the touchscreen, you might consider changing the head unit for something more modern…

So what is the Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) exactly?
    The ACM is a Jaguar-branded version of the Dension Gateway 500 audio interface. It’s a module that connects into the D2B fiber-optic network, and emulates a CD changer (i.e. uses the CDC controls). The ACM provides an aux input of 2x RCA’s, an iPod connection and a USB socket for playing music from a USB stick.

Where can I get more information about the ACM?
    Dension has a support website HERE which provides part numbers, as well as revision history for hardware & firmware. You might also want to look at the owners manual HERE, startup guide HERE and the official installation instructions HERE

Where can I buy an ACM?
    The ACM is available from Jaguar. They also pop up on ebay from time to time, but be careful of ACM’s for sale without the required cables and accessories. You must have as a minimum the part with the RCA sockets, since there is a toggle switch which turns the ACM on/off.

I heard there were problems with the ACM.
    Sure, the early versions had some issues, but AFAIK the latest version has resolved this. You can see on Dension’s own site HERE there were a number of revisions; cables as well as firmware.

How do I install the ACM?
    Have a look at the official instruction guide HERE and also Westville’s guide HERE.
    The ACM is officially for the S-Type & X-Type only, and the instructions show installation in the center console. Of course the ACM fits the XJ X350 as well; however it’s usually installed in/behind the glovebox. The location of the module really doesn’t matter, so long as the cables reach the head unit, and the place where you want to connect your RCA/USB/iPod.

How does it work with my iPod?
    The Jaguar firmware revision V2.0 locks the buttons on your iPod, so you can only control the track selection via the stereo controls. You will also see the screen of the iPod shows a Jaguar logo.
    The ACM will only play tracks from pre-selected playlists in the iPod, or simply play through all the tracks from start to finish. You cannot scroll through albums or artists. You also cannot see the name of the track/artist on the display.

How does it work with my USB stick?
    You need to organise your music in folders, similar to a collection to be played with Windows Media Player. For example, make a folder for each album, with the individual tracks in each folder. The ACM will allow you to skip between albums, as well as individual tracks in each album. This is a little nicer than just the playlists like with the iPod. But again you cannot see the name of the track/artist on the display. There is apparently a limit on the size of the USB stick. Some people have used 8GB sticks, I’m using a 4GB one without issue.

How does it work with AUX inputs?
    Aux inputs are just that. The head unit “plays” disc #6 continuously, and you get the audio from your external source. The only control you have via the head unit is volume, everything else is done via your external source.

Note that the Jaguar firmware revision V2.0 prioritises the connections; for example, if you have an iPod, USB stick and AUX inputs all connected, only the iPod will play. Remove the iPod & the USB will play, remove the USB & the iPod and the AUX is activated.

What is the firmware revision V2.1?
    Since Dension market the Gateway 500 on their own, and also supply it for other vehicles, there is firmware available outside of the Jaguar realm. The revision V2.1 is originally meant for Mecerdes vehicles, but has been proven to work in the Jaguar system in an X350, see HERE as a reference.

How do I update the firmware?
    The firmware V2.1 can be downloaded HERE
    Instructions on updating the firmware can be found HERE but be warned, you update the V2.1 at your own risk!

What does the updated firmware do?
    First of all the controls through the CDC screen are altered. You can connect up all three inputs simultaneously, and select which one you want via the disc #6 button.
    Secondly the iPod controls are no longer locked, so you have control over the track selection at the iPod itself. The Jaguar logo which blocks the screen is also gone.

I updated to V2.1 but I need an instruction manual?
    Lucky for you, there’s one HERE

I have an old ACM but I want to use only Jaguar firmware, not the V2.1.
    You can download & install the V2.0 from Dension’s site HERE just follow the instructions.

How do I get the most out of the iPod connection?
    With the V2.0 it’s really only possible to program your playlists. Of course you can undock the iPod, select the track you want, and reconnect it. It seems the V2.1 firmware is the way to get the most out of your iPod with the ACM.

How do I get the most out of the USB stick?
    I don’t remember who thought of this first, but I’m not going to take credit for it.
    Using an online text-to-voice website, e.g. VozMe, you can record short mp3’s which read out the Artist and Album name. Simply give this mp3 file a name so it is alphabetically at the start of the album, and when you select that album, it will read out the artist/name to you. It’s brilliant!
    Also, there is a software tool from Dension called GatewayIndexer, this helps to index your albums and speeds up the ACM’s selection of albums & tracks. You can download it HERE

How do I get the most out of the AUX inputs?
    The beauty of the AUX inputs is that you can connect whatever you want!
    Many users have connected satellite radios, but if you want to connect video (TV, DVD, etc) to your touchscreen using a Video Interface Module then you will need the ACM in order to have the sound through the cars speakers.

Feel free to add more information!
    2009 XKR Portfolio - 12.4 @ 115.5mph
    2005 XJR - 12.9 @ 107.6mph
    2005 X-Type & 2001 S-Type - long gone
    2008 Freelander2 - ex wife got it...
    www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau

2. Thanks Chip Bored thanked for this post
    Likes Jazz, u102768, rich998a, Yann972, Chip Bored liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) FAQ’s, Tips & Tricks

Here's my ACM install on an XJ X350 - http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f32/ive...how-29895.html
    Last edited by djdex; 10-02-13 at 22:35.

4. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone proved that the gateway indexer does anything to the Jag version?
    It doesnt seem any quicker and I thought that it was for use with the dension 500 that can send the track names and details.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like

Damn I totally forgot the X150...

FYI Information on the ACM for the XK Alloy Body can be found HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an example with the Voice Tags made in VozMe

[youtube:36jgy3dd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLHtxFzK3SY[/youtube:36jgy3dd]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

#4 If you have an X350 with rear entertainment, there is an aux input in the rear console with RCA’s that can be set for audio through the whole car

I have rear entertainment, can this work with a Video Integration Module (VIM)
    or do I still need to buy a seperate Audio Connectivity Module?

Thanks
    ivajag

Post Thanks / Like

You want to bring the video onto the front navigation screen?

What should the source of the video be? the factory DVD player or an external input?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, to the front screen.

I was thinking external only, to use with, blackvue dr400g-hd, a reversing camera and maybe an iphone 4 music and tv out.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

HI all,
    I have a question partly related to this thread. Is it possible to play DVD's on my factory fitted touch screen via the DVD satnav player in the boot???.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just updated my firmware to 2.1 and am suitably impressed that I can now control music from my iPhone4 screen.
    MY 09 X-Type 2.2D Sport Premium Saloon 6 Speed Auto DPF in Ultimate Black. Terracleaned(142k),Touch Screen Sat Nav(2012), DAB, 6 disc changer with Bluetooth Phone and IPOD ACM with Jaguar Premium Sound System. Ivory Trim. Piano Black veneer, Electric Sunroof, Xenons and 18" Proteus Alloys. New fuel rail & injectors(144k) & New Turbo(152k)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast