Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: recently fitted aux belt tensioner

Post Thanks / Like

recently fitted aux belt tensioner

Hi guys, i recently fitted a new aux belt tensioner and a new belt and for a few weeks things seemed quieter and smoother.....but recently the car is starting to sound like a tractor again especially when the air con kicks in ....also there is a bit of a noise at low speed acceleration ( sounds like a dodgy baffle in an exhaust ) which seems to have appeard at around the same time as the tensioner re-rattle.....so the question is...what did i do wrong ...do you reckon something has come loose or is there somthing else that i have missed which is a common occurance.....hope to investigate the problem in the next few days but was hoping for some tips as to what to look for

Cheers

Tdarcy
    Xtype 2L diesel estate sport premium 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Re: recently fitted aux belt tensioner

I think the crank pulley may be shagged.
    I managed to cure my rattle with a new tensioner and belt, but the rattles back after a year.
    I knew I should have swapped the pulley as well.

There's a modified pulley in the Jag Kit, seems to have grown, so I presume it's heavier.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JAGUA ... 25682e75aa

I've looked for the modified pulley on it's own, as the tensioner and belt are cheap enough these days, but so far come up blank.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply Goudy.....was thinking it must be the crank pulley so ordered one from transit parts for £60 hopefully fit it at the weekend......did my egr valve a couple of weeks ago and will have to do drive shaft too soon......seems to be too many things to fix on an x type which has only done 580000 miles......my last car was an Alfa and it gave me less trouble !!!!!

Tdarcy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdarcy
    thanks for the reply .my last car was an Alfa and it gave me less trouble !!!!!

Tdarcy
    I have a Fiat and an Alfa and neither give me as much headache as the Jag, in fact the Fiat as been fault free since new in 2007 and the Alfa has only had a split CV boot in 4 years, though it's had two cam belts in that time after Alfa dropped the replacement interval to 36k??

I've a Strut bearing to do and sort the aux belt out again on the jag, then I guess it'll be fine for a few minutes!!
    I've just cleaned the EGR, intercooler and manifold again, then replaced the intercooler hose last weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my hands on the Jag tensioner kit C2S51547. (I do feel abused after handing over all that cash for it )

The revised crank pulley is quite a lot heavier with that extra chunk added to the outside, so hope it'll cure the rattle for longer than 12 months this time!

Chatted with the parts assistant, he said their parts sale were up. "everyone's fixing their own car these days, you can download guides from a forum on the internet".
    He offered to give me the web address, I said I'd already seen it, as a laughed my way out of the door

So looks like there's another couple of "How to's" on there way, Aux belt kit and strut removal/strut bearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok....fitted the new crankshaft pulley today in great hope of a quite smooth running engine.......OHH the dissapointment !!! it actually sounds worse and when the air con comes on the whole thing sounds like its about to fall apart !! |When ticking over with no ac on its sound rougher than before and the belt is almost flapping about as it runs onto the bottom of the pulley (new belt and tensioner only a month ago)....... the pulleys looked the same as far as i could tell and there didnt seem to be any right or wrong way of bolting it on so i am a bit stumped and...... currently driving around with the air con off and the windows steamed up lol.

Any one got any ideas of what else might be wrong ....im thinking maybe the air con pump pulley/clutch/bearing bits maybe ????

Tdarcy

Post Thanks / Like

The new pulley has three lugs to locate on the end of the crankshaft. Are you sure that the pulley is sitting properly on the end of the crank and not resting on the lugs?

Jaguar / Ford insist that new bolts are used when you remove the pulley. They are tightened extremely well - you start at 45Nm and then tighten a further 120 degrees. I couldn't get 120 easily as there is little room working from the ground, but after thre or so pulls I must have been close - but couldn't tighten them further anyway. The old bolts were visibly stretched so could not be reused and may contribute to a loose pulley.

When using Goudy's method of pulling the crankshaft pulley around to tension the belt instead of the special tool, I found that my old oil filter chain wrench (extended a bit) worked very well on the new pulleys second belt run which isn't used on the Jag.

In the photo you can see how I used one of the old bolts first to locate the pulley then pulled it round to fit the other two. (then replaced the old one with a new bolt - all of which came as part of the kit)

Finally as I was working alone and the pulley bolts are very tight to remove I hit on the idea of using a piece of wood between the seat and the brake pedal to apply the brakes to lock the engine. Started the engine to get the servo working, pushed the brake pedal down then moved the seat up to lock the wood in place. Worked a treat

Was easy with electric seats as there is a very fine adjustment.

Ian C
    Last edited by iwvc; 05-08-12 at 18:13.
    2005 2.0D SE Estate now replaced by 2015 Mazda 6 2.2D estate (Euro 6 compliance needed for London)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Ian.....the pulley i fitted is an original one same as what came off and didnt have the lugs you discribed.....im now thinking about taking it all apart again just to check for lugs though lol.....i used the same method of seat brake pedal pushing as you did .... great minds think alike ! did use the old bolts though !

Tdarcy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdarcy
    Thanks for the reply Ian.....the pulley i fitted is an original one same as what came off and didnt have the lugs you discribed.....im now thinking about taking it all apart again just to check for lugs though lol.....i used the same method of seat brake pedal pushing as you did .... great minds think alike ! did use the old bolts though !

Tdarcy
    Hi' Why would you fit the same pulley that came off when the
    new modified one is available.

Jimmy
    2005 X-Type 2.0 Diesel XS

Post Thanks / Like

well Jimmy i couldnt seem to find anyone who sold the revised pulley on its own at a reasonable price....plus i thought the old type would be good enough to last another 50000miles at least.......taking it to a proper mechanic tomorow to see what he thinks......he mentioned the dual mass flywheel but i dont think its any thing to do with that ??

Tdarcy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast