Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar X-Type (Drumming at idle)

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar X-Type (Drumming at idle)

Hi All,

I am really glad there is a forum like this!!

So I have a Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Diesel, 2005 plate.... After reading all of your posts I am almost 100% certain I am a victim of the Aux belt tensioner problem!!
    No longer able to cope with said noise, I am looking in to doing something about it..... I have found a part on ebay and was wondering if someone could tell me if I am picking the correct "Modified" part I need.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200391059339? ... 1423.l2649

Thats the first one I have found. I have also fond the one from hatfields Jaguar but at £200 I am really really hoping it can be done a bit cheaper!!!!!

Your help will be massivly appreciated, I am really sorry as I am sure this topic has been covered a million times!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jaguar X-Type (Drumming at idle)

As far as I'm aware that's the original part design. The new one has a much heavier wheel
    2006 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D Sport Estate

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JAGUA ... 23153e236f

This is the Jag kit with a modified crank pulley.
    Myself and a few others have fitted these and they seem to work.

I tried just replacing the belt and tensioner and they lasted about a year before they started rattling again.

It's a tricky job to replace these, but not impossible to the DIY'er, there is a bit of a guide here
    http://jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... 2b#p420582

Post Thanks / Like

what do you think to just replacing the belt and tensioner??? If it lasted about a year thats pretty good?

Just a belt and tensioner comes to £55, what do you think labour would be to fit it, i am definately not capable of the diy option but if we are talking less than £100 for a belt and tensioner I think it would be more viable to have one fitted every year rarther than the £300 I am looking at!!

Thoughts please???

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on whether you wish to deal with the cause or the effect?
    I believe the cause is a defective/deficient crank pulley, so, changing the tensioner and belt, to me, is pointless!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're paying labour to get it fixed, fix it properly with the kit with the revised crank pulley.
    As there's a good chance you'll be paying again sooner than you think!

You really need to replace the crank pulley as well as the tensioner and belt, it's this crank pulley that we all think causes the problem, that's why the kit has the heavier, revised one.

I did it myself, but was quoted 2.5 hours to fit at a indie.

First time it cost me £69 for the tensioner, £15 for the belt and a standard pulley £59.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,

I having similar issues on the alternator side of my 04 2.00d. it basically sounds like a tractor at idle at 850rpm it quiet, i have been told its the damper pulley and tension er i would also replace the belt.

Have you any idea on costs ? or are they similar to your post.

Thanks

Miles
    2ltr Diesel Pale Gold 04 35w Hid dip Headlights Ring +120 H1 mains , EGR fully blanked ,2 stroke added, half leather, leather gaiters for gear & handbrake. Dension Ice link for Ipod & I phone

165k on the clock and climbing

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, your problem will be exactly the same thing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thanks for the info, is it the same part as described in the earlier thread, or are they left and right sided.

Mine seems to be noisy on the left side looking from the front or drivers side. do you know any good garages that are reliable to fit in Bucks

Thanks

Miles
    2ltr Diesel Pale Gold 04 35w Hid dip Headlights Ring +120 H1 mains , EGR fully blanked ,2 stroke added, half leather, leather gaiters for gear & handbrake. Dension Ice link for Ipod & I phone

165k on the clock and climbing

Post Thanks / Like

Miles, it's likely the crank pulley, tensioner and belt need replacing, those that are on the left.
    It's a very common problem with this engine, no matter what it was fitted in.

If it is these, the car will usually sound noisy at idle, particularly when the air con it on or the alternator is working hard.

If you look at this pic
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/ ... 091290.jpg
    You can see that under the black ribbed cable is the tensioner, you can test it by holding a long screwdriver against it while the engine idles (there's a mark on this one, someones already done this)
    The screwdriver will hammer against a knackered tensioner and be difficult to hold on to.

The problem shows it's self as the tensioner, but in fact it's the crank pulley that's knackered, they don't seem robust enough for this engine, and as a result of the pulley wobbling it ruins the tensioner, so both tensioner and pulley require changing.

The Jag kit has an uprated, chunkier and heavier pulley.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JAGUA ... 1700276489
    Compered to the old standard one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-M ... 5645f8fc2b

I've tried just replacing the standard parts with new standard parts and the results lasted only a year before the noise came back.
    A few owners have replaced these with the uprated kit, including myself, so far it's working well.

It's not cheap, but isn't that much more than the standard items, l fitted these myself, but it's a bit fiddly, I was quoted 2.5 hours to replace by a indie garage.
    I can't help you find someone to do it, but there is a list of garages in the "how to" section.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast