Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying a Jaguar Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a top tip for buying Jaguars from main dealers - ask to see the health check report which is done at any MOT, it'll have red/green/amber for many aspects of the car, also the 100+ odd point inspection list if it's a car the dealer brought in from elsewhere. If you see 'declined' it means the owner was informed of a pending issue and did nothing about it. Tell them you want any item like that resolving - for example in my recent case the owner had declined to have alignment checked despite one tyre wearing much faster than the rest. A four wheel alignment is a good 400+ pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    If you see 'declined' it means the owner was informed of a pending issue and did nothing about it. Tell them you want any item like that resolving - for example in my recent case the owner had declined to have alignment checked despite one tyre wearing much faster than the rest. A four wheel alignment is a good 400+ pounds.
    To be fair, I’d decline it too. Then I’d take it straight to a reputable alignment centre where you can get the same job done for £70. (Fell for that rip off with my Merc. I later found out the place I used after that was also used by the main dealer. So they drove it 1 mile down the road, had them do the work, paid them £70 and billed me £250! Nice work if you can get it.
    I refused most work from the main dealer as you can almost always get it down vastly cheaper elsewhere. Be that tyres, brakes or alignment. Cheap MOT and annual services are used as loss leaders. They make it up on the “it needs a” stuff.

The sheet you you describe is pinned to every MOT so available wherever you get the car. I’m less concerned with main dealers as they’ll put anything right anyway.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    They should put everything right - and will if you highlight it, but the alignment and headlining stitching probably would have gone unchecked as those aren't on the multi point checklist. I also have declined a dealer repair (wheel pressure sensor) and had it done at an independant, and I did the power washer pump myself with a new gasket from Jag parts dept and a used pump from ebay, but if you're getting one from a dealer I think it's worth checking the sheet and asking about any items on there which aren't green. Even consumables could be haggled into the price.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234