Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying a Jaguar Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a top tip for buying Jaguars from main dealers - ask to see the health check report which is done at any MOT, it'll have red/green/amber for many aspects of the car, also the 100+ odd point inspection list if it's a car the dealer brought in from elsewhere. If you see 'declined' it means the owner was informed of a pending issue and did nothing about it. Tell them you want any item like that resolving - for example in my recent case the owner had declined to have alignment checked despite one tyre wearing much faster than the rest. A four wheel alignment is a good 400+ pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    If you see 'declined' it means the owner was informed of a pending issue and did nothing about it. Tell them you want any item like that resolving - for example in my recent case the owner had declined to have alignment checked despite one tyre wearing much faster than the rest. A four wheel alignment is a good 400+ pounds.
    To be fair, I’d decline it too. Then I’d take it straight to a reputable alignment centre where you can get the same job done for £70. (Fell for that rip off with my Merc. I later found out the place I used after that was also used by the main dealer. So they drove it 1 mile down the road, had them do the work, paid them £70 and billed me £250! Nice work if you can get it.
    I refused most work from the main dealer as you can almost always get it down vastly cheaper elsewhere. Be that tyres, brakes or alignment. Cheap MOT and annual services are used as loss leaders. They make it up on the “it needs a” stuff.

The sheet you you describe is pinned to every MOT so available wherever you get the car. I’m less concerned with main dealers as they’ll put anything right anyway.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    They should put everything right - and will if you highlight it, but the alignment and headlining stitching probably would have gone unchecked as those aren't on the multi point checklist. I also have declined a dealer repair (wheel pressure sensor) and had it done at an independant, and I did the power washer pump myself with a new gasket from Jag parts dept and a used pump from ebay, but if you're getting one from a dealer I think it's worth checking the sheet and asking about any items on there which aren't green. Even consumables could be haggled into the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. I have just been inducted to this august forum and I don't (and never had) even have a Jaguar - YET!

I will try to keep the following short biography short. At the end of which I will (if you have not departed the thread due to tedium), ask for the benefit of your expert assistance please.

I am bent on satisfying a significant Bucket List desire, to wit, a soft top car with to relive those halcyon days of European top down sporty touring. Now the history bit :When I disposed of my second and much loved hobby car (a 1972 TR6 which I had purchased in 1976) Late in 1996, I decided upon a one car policy and also, I took up motorcycling for commuting and touring. That car was a convertible 2.5 Saab, tricked out by AFN.

This was not the best automotive/financial decision that I have ever made - not sure I ever made a good one - but most petrol heads are not accountants, I'm not. Dare I even refer to myself as "petrol head" after driving a Saab for 17 years? So, Saab gone mid 2013 to be replaced by a 15 month old X3. Janice, my other half for 25 years, liked Saab touring. She even tolerated several European bike tours. For the last five years she has been very content with X3 holidays. Here's the rub, I'm not and - glory be to the Creator - she understands.

First hurdle cleared. Budget more or less agreed and based on a three year program: cost in, running cost, and exit recoup amount (as we all know, value is a misused term in this regard- particularly when selling). The spread sheet is not for public consumption and anyway what was pension drawdown invented for!?

The next fence in this Aintree of a process is 6'4" tall and called ME. The situation is exacerbated by my 17.5 stones and 13.5 size plates.

My first object of desire was an MGB (is it really OK dropping all these non Jaguar names). A car in which I had achieved a level of almost never before experienced joy, delight, unalloyed happens - in my twenties. So, in 50 years, these cars (probably whilst under renovation) have appreciably shrunk. Strike 1!

This might not be the beginning of the end of my saga but as Winnie (not the poo) said "It is the end of the beginning.

Part 2 soon. I now have to walk downstairs to take a sachet of Citrafleet after which I will be "running upstairs". To much information?

Cheers
    Last edited by 2tall; 28-10-18 at 16:08. Reason: spellong error

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234