Jaguar Forum banner

XType Diesel, Engine Light on

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tykeboy 
#1 ·
Hi, for sometime I've had the well-known overcooling problem and today replaced both thermostats.

However, the traditional water system type thermostat came with a narrower rubber seal, so I had a leak and the engine got a bit warm - the warning light came on a few times but the needle never went above the 3/4 mark and the engine didn't seem particularly hot, nor did it misfire or stutter in any way.

I swapped the seal which fixed the leak and refilled the system. Since then the temperature looks fine and the heater is working well again so I think the cooling system is now perfectly ok.

However, the engine warning light on the dash stays on. I've checked all the electrical connections which seem ok. Could it just be some coolant in one of the connections? It got a good soaking round the thermostat housing area.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 ·
don't worry.....the light will self extinguish after 3 cold / hot cycles, provided the original problem has been cured. This is normal.
Just keep an eye on your coolant levels to make sure you have got rid of air locks.
Get it up to temp, with the heater on max hot, and check your levels later.

#4 ·
don't worry.....the light will self extinguish after 3 cold / hot cycles, provided the original problem has been cured. This is normal.
Just keep an eye on your coolant levels to make sure you have got rid of air locks.
Get it up to temp, with the heater on max hot, and check your levels later.
The light vanished the next day and no problems since. Its been nice to have some heat first thing in the morning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.