Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air con not cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Air con not cold.

Hi Guys,
    I've searched the forums and found nothing so far so here goes and thanks in advance.

During March last year my air con was regassed from 300g back up to 800g by my local garage and checked for leaks.
    No leaks were found during the ultraviolet check etc. Cost £77.

A month later the air con was warm again and my local garage advised me to go to my local Jag indie and let him check for any fault codes-diagnostic problems.
    He regassed it 270g to 800g and checked everything and charged me almost £100.

Another month later the car was back with my indie and he regassed it again and found an "O" ring seal leaking on/near the compressor and charged me another £60.

Been using the air con regular but has the weather is now getting warm and the car interior hot I put the air con on "LO" yesterday and it only blows cool air with the air con/climate on any temp LO/auto settings 19 c/any vents.

Really p****d off right now.

Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air con not cold.

Sounds like still a leak. Or another one. Not rocket science for a decent a/c guy to sort out. If dye was added then finding a leak should be fairly easy.

A commonish cause of leaks is the a/c not being used enough e.g. switched off during winter, don't know if that might apply to your car perhaps before you bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Unsure what year car you own, but if it's a pre facelift S Type the pipes that run down the O/S of the engine bay fail. Very common fault. But hard to find.

They are the pipes that are wrapped in heat reflective foil. If these are green or look like they have oil on them, they will be shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again and thanks so far Guys,
    Yep 04str, dye has been added and uv checked at all 3 regasses.

and thanks Jafix, I pointed out the hidden pipes problem to the independant and he checked them and said that he knew about that particular problem and all was ok on my year 2000 car. I have used the aircon regular but not on a cold setting over the winter.

Love my car to bits but just so damn annoyed right now, feel like i've been let down.

Anyone else any thoughts also ?.

Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like

If on in cold weather it gets used to dehumidify, you just maybe didn't realise that.

Finding the dye at the leak "just" takes effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your outside temperature gauge working properly, its not reading some outrageous temperature like 52C is it? Its the failure of the outside temp gauge thats causing my air con to blow warm air, and it only actually seems to blow cold just as I'm pulling into my driveway.
    3.0L S Type, Y reg, Pacific Blue,94k-ish miles. Just a replacement coolant tank needed and she's a sweet girl!

Post Thanks / Like

The a/c compressor clutch kicking in when a/c is pressed?
    All relays and fuses ok?
    Condenser look in good nick?

Being a 12yr old car any of the above can fail.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Guys,

Exterior temperature is showing 17 deg C.
    Fuses and condenser radiator look fine.

No idea where/how to check relays, sorry.

With the engine running and me leaning out of the car door I cannot hear the clutch kick in.

Although,
    I have the temp set to "LO" and then switch the air con and air recirculater switch on then the air flow boosts up from the vents considerably.

Supertrev.

Post Thanks / Like

My local non-Jaguar air-con techie (and general garage) found that there was no live supply to the compressor so he ran a new one to it! Dunno what happened to the original one but it worked fine after that! His kit vacuumed out the system, checked for leaks and refilled and it only cost me about £60 2 years ago!

Post Thanks / Like

OK . Your car is in the correct year bracket for the bad pipes. Has he sniff checked them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast