Thread: Ski hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

Ski hatch?

I've had the car a few days now and have been poking about it. I've found that there's already a hole cut in the steel seat back, behind the fabric panel where the arm-rest is folded down. It appears about the same shape and size for a ski-hatch. Is it possible to get the hatch itself to retrofit?

Post Thanks / Like
    solved the problem myself.

Cut the fabric behind the arm-rest up behind the back of the seat. Also cut two slots in the lining on the seat back in the boot. I then used self adhesive velcro on the metal seat back and stitched to the fabric and liner to ensure it could be tucked back into place. It works fine. Just need to find some thin rubber or plastic piping that I can run around the edge of the metal so it doesn't scratch the skis and it's sorted. Maybe not as elegant as a plastic hatch that can just be popped open, but good enough for occasional use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by feef View Post
    I've had the car a few days now and have been poking about it. I've found that there's already a hole cut in the steel seat back, behind the fabric panel where the arm-rest is folded down. It appears about the same shape and size for a ski-hatch. Is it possible to get the hatch itself to retrofit?
    I'm wondering the same thing
    Current - 2004 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, Radiance Red
    Mods - XJ54 SOV reg, Red alloy caps, X351 style XJ badge, Adamesh upper & lower grilles,

Previous - 2003 X-Type SE 3.0 Manual, Radiance Red

Click below for pics of them both.
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/93270560@N02/kg4x66

Link to my YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpa...gSxt2KWvzAhNtw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by feef View Post
    Just need to find some thin rubber or plastic piping that I can run around the edge of the metal so it doesn't scratch the skis and it's sorted.
    Pop down to your local electrical wholesalers and buy some black profile strip. It's used in the trade to dress the edges of cut out in galvanised trunking or gland plates in commercial distribution boards. We buy it in big rolls but they may have smaller packs of it or might cut you off a piece if you ask them nicely. Reminds me, must get some at work to cover the ****** sharp metal edge that keeps cutting me in my boot!!
    See here http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/pro...CTID=800-00004 for an example of what is available.

Regards,
    Dave
    Last edited by dmcsweeney; 08-10-12 at 16:50.
    '04 2.0d SE Blue/Cream Leather
    '13 BMW 520d SE ED Kashmir Silver/Oyster
    '72 Rover 3500S
    '73 Rover 3500S
    '73 Rover 3500S - Modified
    '73 Rover 3500S
    '96 Mondeo TD

Post Thanks / Like
    your lucky,i wish i had a arm rest letalone a ski hatch. never noticed untill i had the car a week that it didnt have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feef, I'll PM you too about this as I'm very interested to see what you did. I too have a gap in the seatback and would like to be able to put longer items in the car.
    Formerly a 2004 2.0D SE Manual. Zircon and Champagne with 17" Caymans and Michelin Crossclimates.

Now switched to the dark side, A4 Avant 2.0 SE Technik 163ps

Post Thanks / Like
    My first 2.5se didn't have folding seats, otherhalfs previous 2.1 did so never though about it untill trying to put kayak paddles in boot, have a estate now which is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1003 View Post
    My first 2.5se didn't have folding seats, otherhalfs previous 2.1 did so never though about it untill trying to put kayak paddles in boot, have a estate now which is great.
    Lol, it's not something I'd considered either, until I realised I have skis, a snowboard and a mountain bike. Just got the car though so I'm not switching to an estate
    Formerly a 2004 2.0D SE Manual. Zircon and Champagne with 17" Caymans and Michelin Crossclimates.

Now switched to the dark side, A4 Avant 2.0 SE Technik 163ps

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used a Stanley knife and cut a slot in the arm rest liner , and cut a slot in the boot carpet back panel ( no metal to cut through ). I do a lot of sea fishing in the winter and when I got the jag home I realised the back seats didn't fold - nightmare ....
    2005 SE TD , full xs bodykit and 18" arubas ,oh !! that'll be the x type .