Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar X Type Guide to: How to Check for Sill Corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar X Type Guide to: How to Check for Sill Corrosion

Prompted by other recent posts about rusting metalwork out of sight behind the plastic sill covers, I recently removed mine to give me peace of mind! For those who might want to do the same but feel it might take too long or are unsure if it's within their capability, here's an account of what I did with some photos to help. Each side can be removed and replaced within the hour and if you're reasonably agile, there's not even any need to jack the car up! Note this account covers a MY2005 X Type and it would be useful if anyone knowing of any differences in earlier or later MYs could post the information.

The sills are held in place with two rows of plastic clips. The first row is visible from under the car and comprises nine clips, such as shown here:

If you're lucky, about half of these clips will come out as intended, using a small Pozidrive screwdriver to remove the centre screw. It requires the minimum pressure on the screwdriver to have any hope of success! The centre screw should come out and the outer part will then just pull out by hand. If it doesn't unscrew, then you'll need to lever the screw out with a very fine screwdriver, as shown here. Note the rust in the seam before I've even got the cover off - but not much to worry about yet!

When all nine are out, the sill can be removed by starting at one end and pulling it straight out - not up and down. It will resist as it's still being held by another row of hidden clips, but once the first one is out, the rest will follow very easily. This photo shows the white clips you're trying to remove and also one of the two black locating pegs that help locate the cover when replacing it.

Having removed the cover, what's underneath? Hopefully, something like this; a dusty, but rust free structure so you can clip the cover straight back on and relax for another few years. If not, well maybe you've discovered it before it's terminal!

Having carried out whatever remedial work may be required, all that's left now is to refit the cover. Having located the guide pegs in their holes, a series of firm hits with the palm of the hand on the cover will relocate the clips. Then replace the nine clips under the sill and the job is done. I just hope that whatever you found let's you sleep more easily at night.

See http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...sill+corrosion for details of an internal examination of the sills
    Last edited by astromorg; 12-06-15 at 16:21. Reason: Link added
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

2. Thanks Jim Stafford, Administrator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Astromorg, I read the posts last week and thought about checking my sills, now after reading your guide I will do them when the weather improves,

Thanks Ken.
    Cheers Ken.

2011 61 JAGUAR XF 2.2 D LUXURY 4D 190 BHP DIESEL FACELIFT MODEL
    Crystal Blue Met

Previous..
    2004 X-type 2.0D Radiance Red ...3Yrs
    2002 X-type 2.1 V6 Agean Blue....3Yrs
    Granada's 2.8 Ghia / GL's Too many to mention
    Granada 3.0 Ghia

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it not be a good idea once removed to give them a good clean and waxoil since the won't be seen again?
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/stu/65xx.jpg 2004 2.7 DSE
    Bi-Xenons, Sat Nav, Fixed Phone, F and R Park Aid, Headlamp Wash, Heated Seats, Jag Voice, Elec Rear Sunblind, Auto Lights and Washers, Auto Dimming mirrors, Heated front Screen, Memory Seats, CD Multichanger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stue View Post
    Would it not be a good idea once removed to give them a good clean and waxoil since the won't be seen again?
    Waxoil or even a good stone chip type of undersealant?

Senior Member Big cat little cat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very informative as usual Astromorg. I've just been outside to lie on the floor and look at mine. They look very similar to yours, even the same colour!

I too have the rusting in the seam, but it's like any other car that age, not too deep and as you say, not to worry about yet. The lower face of the sill looks slightly grubbier than yours, but it never gets washed! I have the OEM mudguards fitted, so I think this will have kept some of the grime away.

Maybe I'll get the sill covers off next week, weather depending.
    Last edited by Big cat little cat; 05-07-13 at 22:25.
    Just when you think you can see a light at the end of the tunnel,
    you find that it's just someone with a torch bringing you some more work!

XF 5.0 Portfolio.
    X-type 3.0 Sport Premium Estate Auto.

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post Astromorg!

Mines got the rust in the seam too, but i don't think i'll be pulling off the sill covers any time soon.

Having seen a number of posts online showing horrible pictures of rusted out sills, i'd rather not know, ignorance is bliss!
    2009 XKR Portfolio - 12.4 @ 115.5mph
    2005 XJR - 12.9 @ 107.6mph
    2005 X-Type & 2001 S-Type - long gone
    2008 Freelander2 - ex wife got it...
    www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau

8. Likes Royston 19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to have a look at mine because I'm a nosey f***er.

The pics of rusty sills that you've seen Cam, would you see the rust before taking the cover off or is it hidden at the side of the real sill, under the plastic cover?

XF 5.0 Portfolio.

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Cam, ignorance is bliss.

I once checked my old Discovery and discovered (no pun) there weren't any sills, just plastic covers and irony red water.
    At the same time I went looking for the boot floor and rear wheel arches, I think they must have divorced the car some point in the past, packed and left!
    All that stopped my ready meals falling out was the boot mat!

Post Thanks / Like

All from 03 X-Type Rust - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Seems the problem was with the early cars, if you parked them on a sloping driveway (nose downwards) water would pool up in the sills.
    Later models had strategically placed drain holes at the front...apparently...something about the 2004.25 facelift...

Even with the plastic sill covers removed you can't see all this. The sills are double-skinned.
    Apart from pics 3 & 4 above, all those shots are with the outer metal skin of the sill cut away.
    Pic 3 & 4 are with rust so bad, it made it's way to the outer skin as well....

As I said, did you really want to know??? What has been seen cannot be unseen....
    2009 XKR Portfolio - 12.4 @ 115.5mph
    2005 XJR - 12.9 @ 107.6mph
    2005 X-Type & 2001 S-Type - long gone
    2008 Freelander2 - ex wife got it...
    www.facebook.com/oldjaguarau

Post Thanks / Like
    The photos are not showing to me, so there are still unseen!

I'm hoping that my car will be ok due to it's age and general condition. I'll report back once I've looked.

XF 5.0 Portfolio.

13. Thanks SpaldingSparks thanked for this post
    Likes SpaldingSparks liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast