Thread: Unusual shudder and vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Unusual shudder and vibration

Has anyone experienced these symptoms as i am going crazy trying to solve it??
    My 2002 S Type v8 has developed a very annoying shudder and vibration mainly felt through the steering wheel.
    If i have the engine running and gear in neutral and rev the engine to 2000rpm i feel a bad judder through the wheel (no judder at idle), its also bad as i pull away from 0 - 50 mph and is hardly noticeable at high speeds. Also there is a knocking noise more noticeable over bumpy road surfaces rather than speed humps.

I was thinking the front anti roll / sway bar bushes are needing replaced but because the problem exists when the car is stationary surely this rules that out.

I also suspect the engine / transmission mounts so i had a friend sit in the car, foot on the brake and placed gear into drive, as he reved to about 2000 - 3000 rpm the engine lifted on one side (LH) approx 2 inches. Is this normal or should there be no movement? There was no knocking sound as he did this.

I have changed many parts to attempt this fix including
    . new lower ball joints, upper wish bones, upper shock mounts, and lower shock bushes, new discs and pads and if anything the problem is worse.

Can anyone throw some advice my way on this as its starting to become rather expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try drive shafts but a possibility. Had the bother myself. Got vibration when static revs but not massive. whole car shook eventually and found a guy that fixes few as taxis. Even got told flywheel (diesel) of other places
    Pull on them and if you get movement that's it. Will move more as they wear but compared each side to each other
    Richie
    X Type 2.0d classic Saloon (Late 2004)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply but check the engine mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Reid View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but check the engine mounts
    Wow! I think you might need a time machine to be of help to the OP!
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Wow! I think you might need a time machine to be of help to the OP!
    Not so much for the original poster but for anyone doing a search with similar symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Reid View Post
    Not so much for the original poster but for anyone doing a search with similar symptoms.
    Well said, Every little helps for those following no matter how long ago the question was asked.
    S type 3.0ltr V6 SE 2000, 84Km
    S type 4.2ltr V8 2006, 107Km
    XF 3.0ltr SC V6 2013 68Km
    No More, No More

Bring me Sunshine, in your smile,
    Bring me Laughter, all the while,
    In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
    So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow,

Eric and Ernie... you gota Love em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Well said, Every little helps for those following no matter how long ago the question was asked.
    Well, there was no feedback so there is no specific learning. The thread is of very limited value.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.