Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior courtesy lighting bulb replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Interior courtesy lighting bulb replacement.

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the front interior courtesy light panel without damaging it in order to replace a bulb?

There's no info in my handbook about it, and I don't want to go poking screwdrivers in odd places.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the one in the centre roof console, or one of the sun visors?

If it is the centre one, it can be removed easily by pushing your fingers under the windscreen side and pulling firmly down. There are a couple of push-clips on that side, and it is held up at the back with tabs that go behind the roof lining. That removed the whole console to give access to the bulbs. you don't need to touch the plastic lamp reflectors at all.

For the sun visors, I don't know. I suspect the plastic clips off to reveal some screws.
    2016 XJ Autobiography 3.0D, White, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, black pack
    2016 XJR 5.0, White, CF pack, 360 camera, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, Illuminated vents
    2015 F-Type R 5.0, White, CCB, CF pack, Mods: 360 camera
    2010 XJ LWB 3.0D, Grey, Mods: ACC, BSM, 2013 RSE, DAB, LED headlamps, Faster touch screen, Illuminated vents
    2004 XJR 4.2, Silver, Mods: 2008 facelift inside & out, RSE, BT, SC pulley, Alcantara roof/pillar trims

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by x-dave
    If it is the centre one, it can be removed easily by pushing your fingers under the windscreen side and pulling firmly down. There are a couple of push-clips on that side, and it is held up at the back with tabs that go behind the roof lining. That removed the whole console to give access to the bulbs. you don't need to touch the plastic lamp reflectors at all.
    Perfect! I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I've tried pulling from the windscreen edge and inserting various (plastic) devices to try and prise the light console off, but I figured that the sounds of tearing and cracking were not a good sign so stopped!!!

Can anyone describe or illustrate from the above piccy how to get access to the bulbs?!

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't insert anything up there to try and pry it down as that won't work, the clips are vertical so the only thing that will do it is getting your fingers under it at both front corners (the lamp side) and pulling down and forward (towards the windscreen, but only after the clips are free). Don't pull it down at the back because there are two tabs up behind your roof lining.

The clips that hold it up also double as the electrical connections for the lamps. It is possible they may be creaking. Best to just pull and it will come out in one. Mine makes all sorts of noises when I take it out, but it would be very, very difficult to break anything.

The pink bits at the top are tabs, and at the bottom are approx. where the clips are.
    2016 XJ Autobiography 3.0D, White, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, black pack
    2016 XJR 5.0, White, CF pack, 360 camera, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, Illuminated vents
    2015 F-Type R 5.0, White, CCB, CF pack, Mods: 360 camera
    2010 XJ LWB 3.0D, Grey, Mods: ACC, BSM, 2013 RSE, DAB, LED headlamps, Faster touch screen, Illuminated vents
    2004 XJR 4.2, Silver, Mods: 2008 facelift inside & out, RSE, BT, SC pulley, Alcantara roof/pillar trims

Post Thanks / Like
    it will seem scarry at first, but do like dave says and just give it a good yank. since it has more than likely never been removed it will be tough the first time.

here is a shot of the inside where the clips are that you have to pull on to remove them. once those 2 are out the entire console will drop down for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave for the info, and nb for the pic of the console. It makes things much easier when you know what's involved.

Much appreciated guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior courtesy lighting bulb replacement.

Red or blue?

Fancy changing the interior front courtesy and footwell lights - red or blue?

For the life of me can't gain access to front one despite help and pics here.

Can anyone tell me what size the middle bulb is, please?

Thanks in advance.
    Danny.
    X type - 2002, 2.1, petrol, zircon blue, tints, manual, red calipers, wood dash kit and steering wheel, mesh grilles upper and lower, clear side indicators, chrome gear knob and red stitched gaiter.

westville

The document here may be of help: http://www.drivehq.com/web/jfenley/I...ad_Console.pdf
    Cheers
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks westville, have tried again and managed to get one clip out but had to go to work so popped it back in.

I'll keep trying and see, it just seems too difficult to get it out.

In the meantime I've ordered a blue festoon bulb 8led 42mm off ebay.
    Danny.
    X type - 2002, 2.1, petrol, zircon blue, tints, manual, red calipers, wood dash kit and steering wheel, mesh grilles upper and lower, clear side indicators, chrome gear knob and red stitched gaiter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast