Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro fit Premium Sound

Post Thanks / Like

Retro fit Premium Sound

I have now completed fitting the Premium Sound system with lots of help from x-dave and thought you may be interested in some pic's.

I have an 02 sport model with the base sound system with a cd player in the boot and no sat nav screen.

First I bought a used Jaguar amp from obey.

This is the wiring loom package from x-dave it comes complete with everything you need to install, including bolts cable ties / clips instructions and wiring diagrams.

Next I removed the trim that runs on top of the sill, the rear seats and seat back, rear shelf, boot carpet, and carpet cover that hides cd player. Then ran the new x-dave wiring loom from the passenger footwell into the boot (trunk)

Then I removed the blue speaker wiring plug from behind the trim in the passenger footwell and plugged it into the socket in the new wiring loom and replaced it with a new plug in the new wiring loom.

Next I fitted the amplifier in the boot behind the cd player rack using 2 exisiting mounting holes tapped out and a 3rd that I drilled and fitted a nut rivet then used M6 Bolts. X-dave does provide bolts that are suitable for mounting.

The boot end of the wiring loom provides the plug in connections needed to power the amplifier and speakers.
    I fitted the sub speakers in the rear shelf next. I opted for aftermarket Alpine which fit neatly in the original holes already cut in the rear shelf steelwork. I decided not to drill to mount the speakers but used a hot glue gun on the rim of the mounting. So far this has held the speaker in fine.

Last job was to connect the optical data link in series with the cd player, again x-dave provided the wiring and how to instructions, and the connectors are marked up with data direction arrows.

When turning on the radio the amplifier was automatically recognised and added the extra menu's for the sub volume and the DSP surround positioning. As I was on a roll I also added the ACM Audio Connectivity Module and this worked fine with the amp.

After giving the speakers a good workout I replaced all the trim and set to modifiy my door cards.

I bought a cloth interior again from obey and removed the door handles which contain the tweeters & grilles.

This was scarry at first but using a rope cutting tip on a gas soldering iron it was easier than I first thought. The exisiting glue points melted at a different temperature than the door trim plastic so I was able to melt the contact points and easily remove the door handle.

I did the same for the speaker grille as it has a chrome finish, then after removing my handles and grilles I refitted the new one's using a hot glue gun.

Finished panel.

I used Alpine aftermarket speakers and now with the added amplifier it sounds superb. A big thank you goes to x-dave who's help advice and wiring loom made this possible.

I now need to get Henry out to clean the car!
    3.0 Sport Manual, Black
    Gas Conversion, Retro-fitted: Sat Nav, Audio & Cruise Control, Rev Parking Sensors, 18" Melbourne Alloys & EBC Redstuff, Premium sound system inc Dynamat Soundproofed Door Panels,
    Rear Shelf Sub & ACM, Rear Screens & Digital Tv, Rear Electric Windows, HID's 4300k, Apple WiFi Music Streaming.

2. Likes Nezzer, XMan2002, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post I want a premium sound system too
    BuckMR2
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...MR2/sigggy.jpg
    07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey bigbear, again it is really great to see you got that all working without making a trip to the dealers for reprogramming. Now you've been playing with the DSP settings you'll understand why you can never have a car without it again.

With your permission, I would like to copy (and tweak a little to fill in some gaps) your post for the coming 'projects' section of http://www.jaguarguides.com. I'll link back to this forum thread so people can ask questions, etc.
    2016 XJ Autobiography 3.0D, White, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, black pack
    2016 XJR 5.0, White, CF pack, 360 camera, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, Illuminated vents
    2015 F-Type R 5.0, White, CCB, CF pack, Mods: 360 camera
    2010 XJ LWB 3.0D, Grey, Mods: ACC, BSM, 2013 RSE, DAB, LED headlamps, Faster touch screen, Illuminated vents
    2004 XJR 4.2, Silver, Mods: 2008 facelift inside & out, RSE, BT, SC pulley, Alcantara roof/pillar trims

Post Thanks / Like
    top post

2002 3 litre sport . auto, 40% I do miss the old girl..

www.petercostellophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi x-dave yes all works superb I like the DSP. You can use what ever no problem, I kept the post short for the forum as your detailed fitting instructions will cover everything needed to fit. I like your website very usefull. If anyone wants more specific info let us know thanks Dave.
    3.0 Sport Manual, Black
    Gas Conversion, Retro-fitted: Sat Nav, Audio & Cruise Control, Rev Parking Sensors, 18" Melbourne Alloys & EBC Redstuff, Premium sound system inc Dynamat Soundproofed Door Panels,
    Rear Shelf Sub & ACM, Rear Screens & Digital Tv, Rear Electric Windows, HID's 4300k, Apple WiFi Music Streaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. Looks like a job well done.

I have been thinking about putting the two premium subs in as well, do you know if i would need to change the loom as well and would i also require the amp? i currently have the cd changer and sat nav screen so am unsure if this loom is the same?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonny, it sounds like you have the same starting platform I had in mine. You will need the same harness bigbear fitted above to give you the cables for the speakers and the amp as they will not be present on your car. You can't buy one from jag as it is basically a modification to your main cabin harness, and you cannot realistically retrofit/replace an OEM harness without stripping everything from your car (dash, seats, roof, the lot). I know because I bought one with the aim of doing it only to find it would be a lot easier to use it as a blueprint to make my own to emulate the bit I wanted.

Fitting the extra door speakers is optional, I have a 2004MY car with the six speaker standard system so I just replaced the stock speakers, and added the subs in the rear and left it at that.
    2016 XJ Autobiography 3.0D, White, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, black pack
    2016 XJR 5.0, White, CF pack, 360 camera, Mods: ACC, 10.2" ICTP, Illuminated vents
    2015 F-Type R 5.0, White, CCB, CF pack, Mods: 360 camera
    2010 XJ LWB 3.0D, Grey, Mods: ACC, BSM, 2013 RSE, DAB, LED headlamps, Faster touch screen, Illuminated vents
    2004 XJR 4.2, Silver, Mods: 2008 facelift inside & out, RSE, BT, SC pulley, Alcantara roof/pillar trims

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a much more realistic option price wise.Why did you replace the std speakers are they not up to taking the extra power of the amp.
    I have the std head unit,CD changer in the boot, and 4 speakers in the door cards.
    How much dismantling would be involved with my set up just to add the bass speakers and amp to give a premium set up but without the tweeters?
    BuckMR2
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...MR2/sigggy.jpg
    07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post, thanks for the info and pics.
    Oh, what's diesel?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It just so happens that mine is the right one.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ueller/jag.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason I changed the door handles was to improve the treble, I had previously replaced the standard front and rear speakers with co-axial 2way Alpine speakers which improved the sound quality at higher volume levels however I wanted more from the system.

I decided to replace the speakers with component items and just piggy-backed the tweeters from the main speakers. I could have wired the tweeters seperately from the amp but after trying both I couldn't tell the difference (and it is a lot less hassle).

The tweeters in the door handle in my opinion make a big difference to the clarity of the sound especially if travelling at higher speeds. The amp was the cream on top as it allows more power to the speakers and the option of fitting the subs easily, and you gain the sub control. The speakers without the amp sounded good but the system was a bit underpowered with the amp it now sounds sweet and loud.
    3.0 Sport Manual, Black

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast