Thread: How do you turn off Autolock without a dealer?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you turn off Autolock without a dealer?

I nearly got locked out of the car this morning, son put keys in and the doors locked, luckily the boot was open as we were still loading with Xmas goodies!

Is there a way to de-activate this feature?
    Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 - Year 2000
    Land Rover Lightweight
    Dnepr MT10-36 - Bike and Sidecar!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try an indy who has dealer level diagnostics, but either way I'm pretty sure it can only be switched off via that level.

Sorry it's not much help,

Jim
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its a tick box on ids. You'll need a dealer/Indy with jag diags system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what really happened but it had nothing to do with the autolock feature. Autolock activates when the speed reaches 3 mph.
    2001 3.0 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably pressed the door lock lever or button. Agree - nothing to do with auto-lock.

Cylon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rowley View Post
    I nearly got locked out of the car this morning, son put keys in and the doors locked, luckily the boot was open as we were still loading with Xmas goodies!

There is. Don't let the kids have the keys.

Senior Member Steve S Type Sport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rowley View Post

Turn on the ignition so all the dash lights come on but don't start the engine.

Lock the door using the button on the door handle and then unlock the door (but don't open it) 3 times.

Turn off the ignition.

Lock the door using the button on the door handle and then unlock the door (but don't open it) 3 times.

Turn on the ignition but dont start the engine - you should be able to hear a beep.

Lock the door again as before then unlock it (only once this time) - a final beep should be heard.

If all goes according to plan your doors should now not lock when you go over a certain speed (about 5-10mph). This will also auto lock the doors if you reverse away. This mod will be operational until you repeat the above steps to switch it on. It will only work once for each time the car is started though. In other words, if you unlock the doors to let someone out without turning the engine off, they will not automatically lock when you move away again.
    2.5 V6 S-Type Sport
    JOUEC Jaguar Owners Unite Enthusiasts Club.
    Google is our friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    A great answer from S Type there.
    In 7 years I've never had a prob with autolock. Our MG is a pain as it auto-locks @ 20 mph but doesn't un-auto lock when you pull the door pull like the Jag does.

I'd agree that the prob was a child-related finger interface issue. Someone locked the doors when you weren't looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answers, must have been finger trouble but who knows.
    Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 - Year 2000
    Land Rover Lightweight
    Dnepr MT10-36 - Bike and Sidecar!