Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fault codes - Battery Condition!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saz9961 View Post
    Posts like this really put me off buying one of these cars, because I know it will only be used occasionally. And a flat battery in these Jags sounds like more than a minor inconvenience. I even read on another Jag forum that even when knew, these things would not hold charge for 3 weeks if left standing. Pity.
    A number of people (I'm one) use CTEK charger/minders. You can leave them on all the time the car is standing and they keep the battery fully charged without over-charging the battery (as some cheaper 'minders' will).
    "The jaguar is a compact and well-muscled animal." (Wikipedia on Panthera Onca)
    2008 XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi,
    LWB, Sunroof, 19" Polaris, Botanical Green
    2008 Hyundai Getz 1.4
    Previous: 2004 Hyundai Getz; 1990 Merc 190E 2.6; 1987 Nissan Prairie ... 1954 Mk-C 197cc Bond Minicar

2. Thanks Kish s-type thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanboy View Post
    Get a plug in voltmeter off eBay fr £3.00 ish and when the voltage is
    Showing 12v get it charged.
    On the face of it, this makes sense, but try getting an accurate reading from the battery. Problem is that it is in the boot, and if you open the boot, you immediately activate the boot lock motor and illuminate 2 boot lamps for 10 minutes, each drawing 1A. In all probability you will have just unlocked the car, which has repositioned the powerfold mirrors and put the vehicle system into get ready for action mode. So, just getting access to the battery has taken down the surface charge. I don't think I've ever measured more than 12.0v across any battery I've had in the car since I bought it.
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"We're gonna build those nimbys back to the stone age" - General Curtis Le Sajid Javid

4. Thanks Kish s-type thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was only a guesstimate, just tirying to suggest once you are in the 11. something range, you can start getting Amber light warnings from different modules. Eg park brake not available , abs etc, due to low voltage sapped away by starter motor taking voltage down to 10ish volts, modules aren't happy with low voltage and won't play? lol
    SE05 JAG stype, 2. 7 DIESEL,zircon/barley,sat nav2012,xenons,winter pack,rear park assist,
    Retrofitted > cdc,bluetooth phone module, pairs 5phones, jaguar voice, Led cabin lites.chrome grille &light surrounds, power points +leds in boot, ,DRLs, boot spoiler, Dash cam front/rear, Folding mirrors on double lock, Intergrated Reversing camera, Webasto heater manually selectable, Half wood st/wheel,burr walnut interior, dash clock, 84,000 mlies umbrella.

6. Thanks Kish s-type thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Partick the Cat View Post
    A number of people (I'm one) use CTEK charger/minders. You can leave them on all the time the car is standing and they keep the battery fully charged without over-charging the battery (as some cheaper 'minders' will).
    Yes, but you shouldn't have to do that for a relatively young car left for a short period. In contrast, of my 2 ancient MX5s, one started on the button after sitting for 8 weeks in an unheated garage. The other struggled a little, and needed a boost. But thats ok, its still on the original factory fit (1993) Panasonic AGM battery

Post Thanks / Like
    At temperatures below or around 0C the engine requires a significant amount of current to turn it over and, assuming it starts first time, at least 15-30 mins normal ‘unloaded running’ to recover. Under low temp/short useage running conditions it is very wise to trickle charge each night. When I forget to do this, my V8 will occasionally stall when selecting selecting drive for the first time and can often take some ‘coaxing’ to restart. Hope this is reassuring.
    The single biggest problem, in communication, is the illusion that it has actually taken place. (George Bernard Shaw)

Post Thanks / Like
    So True That's what I find. You are right. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Had a new battery fitted Bosch 100aph. Worked a treat after one reset.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12