Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Shop for S-Type Maniacs - For our idle moments!

Post Thanks / Like

Coffee Shop for S-Type Maniacs - For our idle moments!

I see a lot of threads go off topic and thought we might like such a thread to air views and have a good old-fashioned grumble.

So here it is, lets see what happens.

My favourite grumble is the unreliability of car electronics, having to pay just have the codes read and translated (the car should display them with explanations), our government's inability to understand why the world works, the poor quality of Starbucks coffee, the weather...

That's one big grumble!

My faves?

DIY round the house and on my cars, big computer systems, good food, family, good (sometimes prodding) humour, good coffee, camaraderie and idle banter with people of similar interests.

What's yours?
    Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 09-02-14 at 12:24.

2. Likes Les Moxon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea Jim, well done

We're pretty similar you & I, except that I wouldn't even attempt DIY on my Cat, despite having spent many a weekend in the 60's de-coking my 'car of the moment'

"Big computer systems" is right up my alley, as I live right on the bleeding edge of IT running our small firm. The gripe is despite their enormous budgets, the companies we support for providing client solutions possess "Big computer systems" that make ours look like 'Tomorrows World' in terms of speed, accuracy, effectiveness, usability........etc etc. When will they wake up?
    2003 S-Type - Platinum 3 Ltr V6 Auto SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim - Failing to be off-topic here (sorry) but: get a cheap OBD tool instead of paying. Or get two: elm327 & Mongoose JLR clone.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are flat hunting and dodging the ****** showers - oh the joys of our weather.
    Can I fit an outboard to the boot?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not going to float enough, but yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I love the fact I can work on my Cerbera with relative simplicity as it's what I would call old school when it comes to electronics and mechanics.

Most modern stuff throws warnings a hissy fits for no reason, I wonder if we will be able to keep a modern jag running and passing MOT's when it's 20 years old .... Let's hope so or what will I do with my spare time

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, that's not true. They throw codes for good reasons. People are very bad at realising that, however.

You can still ignore codes and use guesswork if you prefer, but it'll not be cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably didn't make myself very clear, what I meant was that as the electronics get older they become more problematic in my experience.

As a result of having to hit various eu targets cars are becoming more reliant in electronics look at the reputation French and Italian cars have gained over recent years. This I fear could mean more cars end up at the breakers than becoming someone's classic in 15 years time, simply because they become to complicated for the enthusiast.

I know I find great pleasure getting my hands dirty or tinkering rather than trying to get a laptop to connect and tell me some codes I have to look up later ....

Loving the thread though ...
    Last edited by BuckMR2; 09-03-14 at 15:12. Reason: quote removed-not needed

10. Likes Jumpin' Jag Flash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    was doing a car last weekend, keep coming up with cam sensor code. replaced with a good one sill come up. car miss firing, wont tick over my itself. Found the fault to be the wiring to the coil pack only found when it caught alight. so fault code are not always right, but can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am wondering how many countries are having big charity events to help out the people suffering in our floods
    1997 Aspen silver 735i
    54 plate Black 3.0 auto S Type
    Renault traffic

still miss the old XR4i

13. Likes Sponge liked this post
Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast