Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: S Type or XJ ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah. But didn’t they do something Like that? They Made an electric E-Type. I think new UK king drove that for wedding.
    Tbh, new Jaguars don’t have much appeal to me. They are nice, but they are not drop dead gorgeous. Also, there Is a question of comfort. I have tested out jaguar XF 3.0 automatic a few days ago, and was surprised to find that the car, while quieter, was less comfortable than my X-type. I’m just currently on a trip, and it is really a joy to drive it. I just can’t imagine myself to buy new, less comfortable car. What I would actually like to do is something like Graham did: 4.2 L S. Size and everything else look just right, and maintenance and other stuff shouldn’t be skyrocketing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar did indeed do an electric E Type, I was thinking that the Lucas electrics (AKA the prince of darkness) reference was to the 1960's S Type and XJ.

You are probably right about the electric cars, many manufacturers experimented - including the Isle of Wight (my spiritual home) with the Enfield Thunderbolt.

The S Type looks bigger than it actually is with it's rounded body style, performance-wise the 4.2 N/A is more than quick enough to embarrass many a yob in their farty exhaust chav-mobiles (the STR must be even better for this necessary task), even the V6 cars can be indecently rapid off the line.
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/
    Wireless Phone Charger under Instrument Surround.
    Pictures of technical stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by graham-r View Post
    Jaguar did indeed do an electric E Type, I was thinking that the Lucas electrics (AKA the prince of darkness) reference was to the 1960's S Type and XJ.
    hahahaha, I haven't heard one for a while The title sounds even better in German! (Fürst der Finsternis)

The S Type looks bigger than it actually is with it's rounded body style, performance-wise the 4.2 N/A is more than quick enough to embarrass many a yob in their farty exhaust chav-mobiles (the STR must be even better for this necessary task), even the V6 cars can be indecently rapid off the line.
    I would agree on size; it looks much bigger than it actually is, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - more crumple zones (I have a kid).

However, while tempting, STR is not a good deal in my opinion. Of all the STR cars in my country, they all had blown their engines. It is also much more complex than the normal S with 4.2 engine, more complicated suspension (CATS), less boot space, dramatically bigger wheels - so more strain on the suspension components, compressor, etc.

On normal S 4.2 you can still put 16" wheels, which are in 225 dimension, which provides both great grip, and maximum comfort. And I don't really see the modern V8 as a point of failure. (The only I know that have blown are on STRs.) All in all it is a fantastic looking car, which is quick and comfortable. I really want one. White, if possible.

The downside of it is that there are only a few in my country, and to import one from EU I would need to pay 10000 GPB in taxes. There are also no late models with 4.2 motor here at all, only stupid 2.7 diesels that like to blow themselves up.
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing I would upgrade an S if I will get it is differential - I would install a limited slip one. It is kind of stupid that they haven't done it by default.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    The one thing I would upgrade an S if I will get it is differential - I would install a limited slip one. It is kind of stupid that they haven't done it by default.
    The Old 4.0 Daimler xj40s had an LSD as standard as did the other performance models XjR chasseurs etc etc

Don't know why the S type didn't get one!

It seems rather ridiculous especially on the 400hp R
    They said it couldn't be done, so i didn't do it

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they wanted to save money, tho the notion is stupid. There is an upgrade kit, definitely a must. I really wouldn’t want to stuck in snow wit it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting comment regarding blown engines on the STR, I thought the motors were fairly bombproof if well maintained. in the UK I think it's rust that has killed most s types!!
    2002 Black S type R 4.2 V8 Supercharged

Post Thanks / Like
    hahahaha, I haven't heard one for a while The title sounds even better in German! (Fürst der Finsternis)
    It is a bit unfair really, batteries/generators/regulators of the time were nowhere near as good as today, I had many old motorcycles (and cars) fitted with Lucas stuff and it rarely gave me any trouble. The only time I burnt out a Lucas alternator was running a 6V Triumph motorcycle without a battery and I left the light switch in boost mode which is what killed the alternator.

Too many people do not understand that even a modern charging system will not necessarily keep their battery fully charged, you need to charge it yourself every so often - especially modern cars with their vast array of computers etc, especially the S/X/X350.

I would agree on size; it looks much bigger than it actually is, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - more crumple zones (I have a kid).

However, while tempting, STR is not a good deal in my opinion. Of all the STR cars in my country, they all had blown their engines. It is also much more complex than the normal S with 4.2 engine, more complicated suspension (CATS), less boot space, dramatically bigger wheels - so more strain on the suspension components, compressor, etc.

On normal S 4.2 you can still put 16" wheels, which are in 225 dimension, which provides both great grip, and maximum comfort. And I don't really see the modern V8 as a point of failure. (The only I know that have blown are on STRs.) All in all it is a fantastic looking car, which is quick and comfortable. I really want one. White, if possible.

The downside of it is that there are only a few in my country, and to import one from EU I would need to pay 10000 GPB in taxes. There are also no late models with 4.2 motor here at all, only stupid 2.7 diesels that like to blow themselves up.
    What country are you in ?

I agree with the boot space - not being able to put the back seat down would make the car (for me) a lot less useful, and after seeing the cost of replacing the Brembo brakes I was convinced an STR wouldn't suit me.

In some ways the supercharged engine is simpler as it doesn't have VVT and AFAIK a lower compression ratio. Why there are many blown up examples in your country is a mystery to me as they are generally regarded as being tough as old boots (if looked after properly) and even 100 BHP/Litre is not that high in modern terms. Perhaps it is the (ab)users who are at fault

My car has CATS and so far all is well, although the suspension units are quite expensive, no idea why the original owner specified it as it probably has to come with sports suspension as well which would explain why my SE has sports suspension and as a result is not as smooth as it could be on certain road surfaces, it is very stable though.
    Wheel size definitely affects ride quality and road holding, my car has 18" wheels (supposed to be 245 but I <think> they may be 255 - I shall check later) and would benefit from the softer tyre wall of a 16" wheel, it is possible I will get some winter wheels and they will be 16".

Did they make a white S Type ? I could imagine one in Olde Englishe white might even look good with wire wheels - contentious perhaps ?

Even the 4.2 N/A can spin up an inside wheel if being a little over enthusiastic pulling out of junctions, so yeah might be a good idea especially in snowy conditions.

But overall it suits me as I don't use it to commute.....
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/
    Wireless Phone Charger under Instrument Surround.
    Pictures of technical stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwpw View Post
    Interesting comment regarding blown engines on the STR, I thought the motors were fairly bombproof if well maintained. in the UK I think it's rust that has killed most s types!!
    I really don't know why is this, maybe people increase power too much, who knows? However you put it, I personally know about several STRs that had their engines blown. Heck, there is even one with a blown engine for sale just now: https://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/jaguar-...oglas-25692881

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel size definitely affects ride quality and road holding, my car has 18" wheels (supposed to be 245 but I <think> they may be 255 - I shall check later) and would benefit from the softer tyre wall of a 16" wheel, it is possible I will get some winter wheels and they will be 16".
    Check the front brake diameters before ordering wheels. The original cars all had 300 mm discs at the front and 16" wheels were standard. If the discs are bigger, which is mainly the case for facelift cars, you will need 17" wheels. The official 17" tyre size is a bit of an unpopular size though (235/50-17) and are as expensive as the 245/40-18, sometimes more.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast