Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: S Type or XJ ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Check the front brake diameters before ordering wheels. The original cars all had 300 mm discs at the front and 16" wheels were standard. If the discs are bigger, which is mainly the case for facelift cars, you will need 17" wheels. The official 17" tyre size is a bit of an unpopular size though (235/50-17) and are as expensive as the 245/40-18, sometimes more.
    it's a good point about the brake disc diameter as all the online brake suppliers I tried gave multiple and conflicting results.

They are probably 326mm which probably means 17" is the minimum I can fit, I just had the wheel off and forgot to measure the disc.
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/
    Wireless Phone Charger under Instrument Surround.
    Pictures of technical stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    I really don't know why is this, maybe people increase power too much, who knows? However you put it, I personally know about several STRs that had their engines blown. Heck, there is even one with a blown engine for sale just now: https://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/jaguar-...oglas-25692881
    Ah - you are in the wonderful Hrvatska
    Dobar dan

You must be hard on cars out there - or perhaps we sent the bad ones out to you!!
    2002 Black S type R 4.2 V8 Supercharged

Post Thanks / Like
    Too many people do not understand that even a modern charging system will not necessarily keep their battery fully charged, you need to charge it yourself every so often - especially modern cars with their vast array of computers etc, especially the S/X/X350.

This is new... But it sure sounds plausible. I have had my battery drain 2 times in the last 5 years.

What country are you in ?

Croatia. Not many Jaguars here.

I agree with the boot space - not being able to put the back seat down would make the car (for me) a lot less useful, and after seeing the cost of replacing the Brembo brakes I was convinced an STR wouldn't suit me.

Yeah... It is not that pracital, and definitely pricey to upkeep.

In some ways the supercharged engine is simpler as it doesn't have VVT and AFAIK a lower compression ratio. Why there are many blown up examples in your country is a mystery to me as they are generally regarded as being tough as old boots (if looked after properly) and even 100 BHP/Litre is not that high in modern terms. Perhaps it is the (ab)users who are at fault

I would agree about the blown engine reason. People tend to view Jaguars just like any other car maintenance wise. However, they are usually a very finely tuned machines that require much care to run properly.

What do you mean re lower compression? I thought compressor increases compression rate overall?

My car has CATS and so far all is well, although the suspension units are quite expensive, no idea why the original owner specified it as it probably has to come with sports suspension as well which would explain why my SE has sports suspension and as a result is not as smooth as it could be on certain road surfaces, it is very stable though.

How does it work? How long it takes to switch hard-valve on? There is a guy who put a CATS switch in central console in his XK.

Wheel size definitely affects ride quality and road holding, my car has 18" wheels (supposed to be 245 but I <think> they may be 255 - I shall check later) and would benefit from the softer tyre wall of a 16" wheel, it is possible I will get some winter wheels and they will be 16".

I looked specifically for 16" when I was getting second set. And I bought the best summer tire there are Conti Premium Contact. I was positively shocked at how better they gripped and how much smoother they were, even in comparison to soft winter tires. Try some Conti premium winter tire on 16", and you will be hard pressed not to get 16" for summer, too.

Did they make a white S Type ? I could imagine one in Olde Englishe white might even look good with wire wheels - contentious perhaps ?

Yup There are some, and they look fantastic. Rare, tho. (There are also gold ones...)

Even the 4.2 N/A can spin up an inside wheel if being a little over enthusiastic pulling out of junctions, so yeah might be a good idea especially in snowy conditions.

There is a kit, found it online. I will definitely get it if I ever get S-Type.
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Too many people do not understand that even a modern charging system will not necessarily keep their battery fully charged, you need to charge it yourself every so often - especially modern cars with their vast array of computers etc, especially the S/X/X350.

This is new... But it sure sounds plausible. I have had my battery drain 2 times in the last 5 years.
    Certainly my brothers/sisters/others frequently have flat batteries - who do you think they call first to help them......

Modern systems are very much better, but it probably depends more on driving pattern, time of the year (lights on more in winter etc), and the state of the battery.

For example, my previous S Type (which now lives just two doors up the street and so I get the pleasure of maintaining that as well......) and it has a battery that is two years old, the new owner was having some problems. The battery was technically flat (11.8v) but it started the car very easily and didn't produce the dashboard of warning lights you frequently hear of on this forum, my point being the battery was healthy (chemically ?) but still had more than enough capacity despite being in need of a charge.

I don't have any power in my garage to use a permanent trickle charger that many on this forum use, maybe I should try a solar panel.

What country are you in ?

Croatia. Not many Jaguars here.
    Nice, on my (huge) list of countries to visit.

I agree with the boot space - not being able to put the back seat down would make the car (for me) a lot less useful, and after seeing the cost of replacing the Brembo brakes I was convinced an STR wouldn't suit me.

Yeah... It is not that pracital, and definitely pricey to upkeep.
    The ATE brakes fitted to later cars (IIRC) are quite a bit cheaper and just as good ?

In some ways the supercharged engine is simpler as it doesn't have VVT and AFAIK a lower compression ratio. Why there are many blown up examples in your country is a mystery to me as they are generally regarded as being tough as old boots (if looked after properly) and even 100 BHP/Litre is not that high in modern terms. Perhaps it is the (ab)users who are at fault

I would agree about the blown engine reason. People tend to view Jaguars just like any other car maintenance wise. However, they are usually a very finely tuned machines that require much care to run properly.

What do you mean re lower compression? I thought compressor increases compression rate overall?
    What I mean is the ratio of the maximum volume at the bottom of the stroke to the minimum volume when the piston is stuffed into the combustion chamber, cars that are blown benefit from a lower comp ratio to avoid detonation etc - or they used to, maybe in these computer controlled days this is less of a problem. This is not the same as the air pressure/density of the forced induction system - not really my area of expertise, maybe someone else can elaborate.

I'm not sure I agree with the maintenance statement - if you think about it they are just machines like any car, just with quite a lot of components/systems. Just servicing (oil change etc) once a year is not enough to keep any car running smoothly - especially as they get older and plastic/rubber parts deteriorate.

My car has CATS and so far all is well, although the suspension units are quite expensive, no idea why the original owner specified it as it probably has to come with sports suspension as well which would explain why my SE has sports suspension and as a result is not as smooth as it could be on certain road surfaces, it is very stable though.

How does it work? How long it takes to switch hard-valve on? There is a guy who put a CATS switch in central console in his XK.
    It works by sensing the attitude of the car through a number of accelerometer sensors, when it detects you are cornering hard enough (for long enough) it switches to firm mode. It is quite noticeable when it does this as the car just feels more taut - a bit difficult to describe.

If you just wanted a manual version then I would imaging a switch supplying current (via a relay) could well be enough to make it work.
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by graham-r View Post
    Certainly my brothers/sisters/others frequently have flat batteries - who do you think they call first to help them......

Croatia
    Nice, on my (huge) list of countries to visit.
    If you decide to, let me know. I can suggest locations based on your preference, and you will be able to visit real gems. Stuff that are usually presented in tourist leaflets aren't places those who know of nice places go.

We have many, many islands, however not al are worth visiting, have the same quality sea, etc. Some widely publicised are downright terrible, and everyone will try to rip you off.

I am just now on an island, we pay 40EUR a night for a very large apartment. It has its own kitchen, so eating is also a bargain. (Food is generally bad here, much better / traditional in Greece.)

Anyways, let me know, will gladly help.

The ATE brakes fitted to later cars (IIRC) are quite a bit cheaper and just as good ?
    I don't know for the stock stuff, but I spent fair amount of time after I almost burnt out my brakes driving on a mountain.

In the end my choice was TRW hardened discs and hugh-performance (ceramic) pads. This, with DOT 5.1 from ATE is bulletproof. I haven't been able to overheat the brakes whatever I did to them (sans track racing), and my stopping power and increased dramatically. There is also no brake fade at all; with these I first time in my life observed ABS on rear wheels working.

I'm not sure I agree with the maintenance statement - if you think about it they are just machines like any car, just with quite a lot of components/systems. Just servicing (oil change etc) once a year is not enough to keep any car running smoothly - especially as they get older and plastic/rubber parts deteriorate.
    Agreed. No cars can drive 200+kkm without proper maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer of places to visit in your country, we had intended to do some long road trips in the old bus this year, but neither the car nor me are anywhere near ready for that right now.

Anyway good luck in finding a car that is rare in your country in a colour that is super rare and without a blown engine

7. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mrmut;1106191]

Croatia

If you decide to, let me know. I can suggest locations based on your preference, and you will be able to visit real gems. Stuff that are usually presented in tourist leaflets aren't places those who know of nice places go.

We have many, many islands, however not al are worth visiting, have the same quality sea, etc. Some widely publicised are downright terrible, and everyone will try to rip you off.

I am just now on an island, we pay 40EUR a night for a very large apartment. It has its own kitchen, so eating is also a bargain. (Food is generally bad here, much better / traditional in Greece.)

Anyways, let me know, will gladly help.

Not all food is bad there - we liked Cevapcici!!
    we stayed at Orebic on the Peljesac peninsula, it was very pleasant, lovely little secluded bay on the end of the peninsula called Loviste, very quiet and unspoilt
    2002 Black S type R 4.2 V8 Supercharged

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rickwpw;1106377]

Not all food is bad there - we liked Cevapcici!!
    we stayed at Orebic on the Peljesac peninsula, it was very pleasant, lovely little secluded bay on the end of the peninsula called Loviste, very quiet and unspoilt
    Yeah... You come to Pelješac, to specifically Mediteranean place, and than you are served cevapcici Abomination! My grandparents are from there specifically, and I can assure you that cevapcici didn't exist. Cevapcic (ćevap) is a convenience fast food native mostly to Bosnia, where it was eaten in a way it is today common to McDonald's food. There are many traditional dishes that taste so good you wouldn't believe it, but unfortunately they are not commonly served, or requested because people don't know about those (also most cooks are not native ones so they don't know how to make those).

Just returned from one of our islands (we have about 1200), and the only way you could eat native food is to actually get up early (about 6 in the morning) and go to the local market and buy freshly caught fish and such.

EDIT: Also, your sig is bold, but that car is bold too!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567