Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJ Buying Advice

Post Thanks / Like

XJ Buying Advice

Hi, I'm Josh, 16 years old and looking for an XJ

I already have 2 cars - a roadworthy Scimitar GTE and a part completed nut and bolt resto Scimitar Coupé. I'm thinking of selling the GTE and getting an XJ project.

I'd like a series 1 (and 4.2 or V12 in an ideal world) but realistically, I'd probably be looking at a 2.8.

Just wondered what I should be looking out for, where the best place to look for one is, where the best places to get parts for etc.

I know restoring one would be a challenge, but I'm not put off easy

Anyone want a nice Scimitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Did I read correctly that you are only 16.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2015 MB E 220 Premium Plus with all the toys.
    Previous .2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate.
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm 16. I got the GTE just over 2 years ago and the coupe just under a year ago. I get by on £20 a week from a cleaning job and buying and selling car spares. I also made a bit of money on a Scimitar SS1 turbo I restored. I cut down on costs a lot by doing all the work myself (and the added bonus is I learn a hell of a lot of skills like welding, engine building, trimming, electrics etc )

Post Thanks / Like
    It makes a refreshing change to hear of someone so young, grafting and making their way in the world and learning new skills along the way.

Well done young man and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Jim
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Josh, you remind me of me. I started at about 14 too but with an old Ariel Square 4 1948 motorcycle so it is refreshing to hear of someone starting as you have, good luck in the future.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2015 MB E 220 Premium Plus with all the toys.
    Previous .2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate.
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    look for, and pass on, any rusted XJ, unless you like replacing rusted-thru panels and enjoy finding rot behind those rusted panels.
    Note that these cars show rust bubbles at the bottom of the front and rear windscreens, that is typical if not "normal", I am talking about rusted-thru rocker panels and wings, and jacking points.

Also remember these cars do not have separate chassis, they are "monocoque" bodies, (everything is welded together), so that makes it even more important to start out with a non-rusted body.

in other words, start with the best body you can find. Mechanically these cars are sort of "user-friendly", sort of easy to repair, the 4.2 XK engine is what they call "bullet-proof" but definitely not "abuse-proof". (yes, the engine is called the "XK" engine, developed over 30 years from the 3.4 XK engine into the 4.2 XK engine, a very refined engine by the end of its life which was 1987 for the American market). Parts are plentiful, at least in America you can find anything, used or new.

I've owned my 1984 XJ-6 since 1990 and it is still running beautifully, regular oil and filter changes help the engine survive the centuries, use only 20W50 Castrol mineral oil in the engine, these engines do not like synthetic oil or other Grades of mineral oils. Use a Jaguar filter, buy them from a Jaguar dealer.

Good luck!
    1965 Jaguar 3.8 'S'
    1984 Jaguar XJ-6 4.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, I guessed rust would be the thing to avoid.
    I've had a quick look at parts and have been very pleasently suprised at the cheapness of them.

I've spotted a couple so far - a 2.8 is being auctioned tomorrow at the restoration show at the NEC. Without being able to drive there, I'll have to keep checking and maybe have a bid online.
    There's also a 4.2 on eBay. It ends before I can have a look, so I'm hoping it won't sell and I can have a look and a haggle.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, do not buy any car sight-unseen, remember that sellers misrepresent cars in the advertisements, for example:

"Rust Free" = there is no charge for the rust !
    "It's all there" = yes, in boxes somewhere.
    "it ran when I stored it" = yes, 15 years ago.
    "look at the pictures" = right, they were taken 12 years ago...

Caveat Emptor ! (Buyer Beware !)
    1965 Jaguar 3.8 'S'
    1984 Jaguar XJ-6 4.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow - great work and its great to see a 'youngster' getting involved like this and actually WANTING to learn the proper skills!

I would agree with the advice above. The body on any XJ will fall apart and often kill the project if you are not handy with a MIG welder and panel fabrication.
    Sills, floor pans, crossmembers, jacking points and anything else made of steel can and will corrode away. Check for filler in every area - especially the sills and where the sill meets the rear wing.
    Fuel tanks corrode ionternally and its not uncommon to see a car running on just one tank as either the other has rotted out or the pump has packed up.
    Trim is quite hard wearing - all headlinings fall down!
    The engines are strong - check for head gasket failure. The 2.8 is not the problem engine it once was. Looked after and serviced - they are a smooth unit - even if they are under powered. A common rule is if there is no oil under the car - there is no oil in it! XK engines weep oil!
    Check the inboard rear brakes for partially seized calipers and worn out pads. The rear brakes are a good days work even for the experience mechanic with a 2 post lift.
    Check for leaking steering racks and worn front suspension bushes.
    Parts are readily available from many suppliers ( including us)

Good luck and keep us posted with your purchase.

Kind regards,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Keith
    (you wouldn't happen to know of any S1s for sale would you?)

At the minute, my Dad is trying to convince me to get a smaller car, but I'm having none of it and am still looking for the right Jag. As I've left it a bit longer, I've now got some money saved so I don't have to sell the Scim to fund the Jag
    I am still trying to earn a little more money though, so I've just bought a couple of mega cheap cars and will throw them on eBay to make some money. I'm also looking at buying a very cheap 1995 XJR6 to try and make some cash

I'll get one some day, hopefully before winter
    Cheers
    Josh

11. Thanks stevesxj6 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast