Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on using K-Seal or similar to fix small coolant leaks

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know eyeballroy is that it usually works and never had problems with engine overheating. All I know...
    Late 2004, Full facelift Jaguar S-Type, 2.5 V6, Auto, British Racing Green metallic,
    Dodge Charger R/T, 1970, 440 Magnum V8, 5 Speed Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    There's only one answer, fix the leaks or they'll bite you one day. Water pump isn't that difficult to take out and reseal or replace.
    Previous : 1992 3.2 XJ40, 1997 4.0 V8 XJR - Current 2003 4.2 Black STR

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Best way to keep your car running well. K seal thing is for lazy people
    Late 2004, Full facelift Jaguar S-Type, 2.5 V6, Auto, British Racing Green metallic,
    Dodge Charger R/T, 1970, 440 Magnum V8, 5 Speed Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazyman - you're just... crazy! lol

We used egg in the radiator, EP90 in the sump (stops big-end knocking and smoking if you catch it in time), and 2-3 pairs of the girlfriend's tights in the diff in the 60's, all worked a treat.

You can't be that hard up still, can you me old fruitcase? Surely your pension will cover a bottle of K-Seal these days?

Today we can use scientific solutions - oil thickening additives in our sump to stop knocking and smoking, and in our diff to stop whining.

And Steel Seal to seal up burnt out cylinder head gaskets without opening the engine. And they even say on the jug that it can seal cracked engine blocks!

Really? Yes: Steel Seal Head Gasket Repair | Head Gasket Repair | Steel Seal

And for our rad leaks...

Holt's Radweld or Wynne's wotsit are great for small leaks so those should be OK for yours.

K-Seal is ABSOLUTELY GREAT for big holes.

I used it in my 2-litre 16-valve Vectra, also a high-performance engine, to seal a long split seal on my rad tank which was gushing a 4-inch cataract, it sealed within a minute, literally, as I watched with the engine running, and it stayed sealed for months until I replaced the rad. No problem, no blockage in any of the pipes even the small ones.

One member here said it wrecked his engine but I don't believe that for a second because if it was true he could have sued them in the small claims court for thousands but didn't.

If you are not sure, you can call the manufacturer, and ask them directly and tell them if they are wrong they will be liable for your repair costs plus rental car. They won't back off.

Really? Yes: K-Seal Car Leak Repair: Coolant, Head Gasket & Radiator Sealant

Anyone who says it blocks the internal waterways has never used it and is pure pipe-smoking - a hash-bubbly I think.

Really? Yes: http://www.nuttyhistory.com/uploads/...17252_orig.jpg

Temporary solutions I agree, until we can save up the pennies of our pensions to replace the duff part.
    Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 03-09-14 at 22:57.
    Used to have: Superb Silver 2004 2.5-litre V6 petrol, ZF Auto box
    Don't believe anything I say - Alzheimer's is setting in!
    Links:
    The Coffee Shop Thread: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=65758
    S Type Stickies: http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

5. Likes AliasFaux liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The leaky seal on the water pump is probably cheaper than a can of 'miracle seal' - get the spanners out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Then i got my late 2002 s type i had no heater, I found this-

Don't use Radweld!
    Previous owned jags-
    1999 S- type 3.0 auto, late 2002 S type lpg 3.0 auto and 2005 3.0 auto lpg.
    I own a Nissan Skyline 350gt, also own a Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TB TCT and Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2008 XJ 4.2L. I've replaced the top and bottom main hoses and the heater hoses in the front area, all with new worm drive clamps. No leaks. But the 1" hose connection to the bottom of the overflow tank is a snap lock type, rather than a clamp. It was not leaking before, but it is dripping now about 1 drop every 10 seconds. That was a real bugger to just reach and get aligned before putting it back on the tank.

Any ideas on how to fix that one leak point?

I'm in the process of changing the coolant over to Evans Waterless Coolant. The engine if full of flush out. But I need to solve that leak first.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a right pig is that connector if it's like the STR header tank, and very difficult to tell if the clip is in the right place, also on the STR there is no wiggle room in fact there is no room full stop to do a pull/wiggle test. Anyway I had the same problem a while ago after some hose replacements, and I found the tapered seal in the connector wasn't great but I put some Vaseline on the tank spigot, as I thought the lip might have been getting misplaced on re-assembly. Been ok since (tempting fate there!).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think k seal is a great product if used right if you have a motor that has a small leak then it's fantastic and for all you out there who say it cloggs up water ways ect ect no it doesn't and I I don't know where you are getting your poor info from if you have a car that has high miles and becoming of age and not worth much then what is the problem with using k seal or steel weld ect why spend lots of money on trying to find the problem and then having it fixed head gaskets ect it costs a bomb when you can spend £9 on k seal and it does a fantastic job for example I had a golf gti I bought cheap of a friend who did not put anti freeze in it and cracked the engine block so I used k seal and it repaired it and carried on for years later my way of using it is to poor it in let it do its job then drain flush ect then refill with coolrent my 3.0 s type has a very small leak somewhere where I top up once every 2mths so the system dosent pressurise at all but never caused any problems never has overheated and am I going to use k seal lol dam right yes I love the old jag but I ain't spending £££ on the old smoker as I know k seal will sort it

Post Thanks / Like
    I first used K Seal when my Vauxhall Vectra split the radiator side tank.

There was a 4-5 inch split.

Within 2 minutes it was completely sealed and lasted several months until I had time to change the rad.

So I have every confidence in it and in Steel Seal for sealing head gaskets as it says on the tin. No UK or US manufacturer would risk £/$million law suits by lying. And they have phone and email contacts for direct assistance so you can clarify any queries before you use either product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast