Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XJS 3.6 head gasket replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your input,
    but this is not an XK engine, its and AJ6 engine , which then turned into an AJ16 with a different head etc.
    and as such are numbered from the front to the back , same as my V12, front right is 1A and front left is 1B , and are quite different to the XK ,

i take your point about flushing as much oil as possible, but draining the sump and changing the filter was sufficient to add the new oil and run the engine , a latter oil change was recommended to the owner ,
    and as i pointed out, this wasn't a ' rebuild ' it was a rescue job to keep the car running

BB

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologies. I knew it was an AJ6 engine but I thought Jaguar always numbered them from back to front.
    I appreciate it was not a rebuild just a rescue but if you don't flush out the crap or change the oil again sooner than later you may need a full rebuild. The remark was not so much directed towards your excellent effort to keep this XJS on the road but a warning to others who might be doing this work themselves and want to go that little bit further. The AJ6 sump is the same as the XK sump with that extra bowl in the front under the chains which stores all the crud. My engine had been sat for 7 years before I rebuilt it and when I removed the sump I was able to stand a spoon up in the crud in that front bowl. Just saying.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a bit late to this party but thats an excellent post, almost given me confidence to attempt head removal on my xjs if it needs it, which is probably likely soon....
    Neil

1995 XJS 4.0 celebration, previously x type 2.5 spirit

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work BB, I also have the 3.6 engine in my 1985 Cabriolet but doubt I'd have the confidence to do it my self??
    On the next to last pic after rebuild showing drivers side of engine, between the injectors almost central, is a connector with a few wires coming from it. Is this anything to do with cold start? I've started a thread about my Jag not ticking over till warm but I don't have this particular sensor (or what ever it is) mine has a flat plate with 4 screws & pipes going to it. Once again first class work. David, Merseyside.

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice write up! thanks for the contribution this is very helpful.
    at 145k miles (230,000km) I say this engine in excellent condition. That's only another proof how durable the AJ6 is

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any pictures / part numbers of the "Special Tools" you mentioned for the cam gears and timing chain tensioners? I am sure that might add value to the thread...

Great information and write-up.

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rocky, im afraid this was nearly five years ago , lol , but thanks for your comments

the cam timing tool is shown in position in one of the later picture of the exposed cams, is a standard tool, for this work and about £20 to buy ( $30 )

hope this helps

BB
    currently driving
    1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior since 2016
    1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior since 2004
    2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior since 2012

previously ,
    1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior 2009-2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12