Page 2 of 439 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    well Frank got to say I'm suitably impressed an already fine looking cat being brought back up to scratch,
    I for one ,will be watching it's progress with interest
    my cats a manual , 2.1 on a '52 plate, metallic JRG with cream leather trim, 104k on the clock and climbing
    my mod's, sliding centre console armrest, mesh upper grille, painted & logo'd calipers, de-badged boot lid, wood ashtray & gear surround, wood door inserts, cream leather gear gaiter, 8 way electric front seats, modded air intake, chrome rear door treads, additional boot lighting, grey smoked repeaters, folding mirrors on double lock, DRL's

MAPRIKA TAG = pete my1stxtype

Post Thanks / Like
    nice car frank. my seats need done as well but will wait till spring time. your doing a good job mate. chaz

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. Nice to know someone appreciates my hard work other than myself. I have now also updated my engine before after pictures. Obviously no where near finished yet, but we are getting there.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great story,thanks frankc for sharing.Keep the pics and dialogue coming.
    I cannot understand how any owner can let their car get into a filthy state but its going to look superb when you have finished.
    A J.
    2016 XE S. V6 Supercharged. Bluefire. 20in Propellor wheels etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job frankc . When can I book my car in for your 5 star service

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went for a hunters alignment today see this thread http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f30/shi...tml#post700225

Basically it is only slightly out. Read above link for full story. Will be going back for adjustments.

But having the car up in the air allowed me to take a good look underneath, bit easier than lay on the ground in the pouring rain trying to see. I am pleased, and relieved, to say the underneath is pretty solid. It has just been under-sealed as the seller said. There is still room for improvement and a tin or so of Hammerite but all in all actually much better than I was expecting having seen the true extent of the grubbyness of the engine bay.

A big nice surprise too when I found that it has 4 brand new tyres, something the seller did not mention. I knew they were in good nick but never appreciated they were new. The garage pointed on the new marks and tags still on as they have not had time to wear off yet.

Another bonus was the fact he had to check the tyre pressures. Another thing I have not got around to in the week I have had the car. Being split rims he had to remove a plug to get access to the valve to screw on an adapter to inflate/check the tyres. Boy where they stuck on. He had a huge screwdriver and a tin of spray. Combined with a lot of time, and swearing, he managed to get the caps off to check the tyres. They were all out. Some quite a bit. I am more of a 'pounds' man myself but even I know if its supposed to be 2.2 bar and its only 1 bar then its quite low on pressure. He pumped them up to the correct pressure. Applied copper grease to the plugs so when I check them they will be easy to remove. It was worth the trip for this alone.

So tyres sorted. Underneath checked. Alignment only slightly out but can be rectified. Three more things off the, self expanding, list.

Update.

Just Googled it. 2.2 bar = 32lb 1 bar is 14lb pressure. So I had less than half the pressure I should have had in the tyres.

If you would like to know what tyre pressures you should have in your cars tyres please click here http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-pressure-search.asp
    Last edited by frankc; 24-10-14 at 07:59.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty0137 View Post
    Great job frankc . When can I book my car in for your 5 star service
    Where are you Monty?
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Boot key fix

My latest work on the car. I found that my key would not unlock my boot. Apparently it is a common problem. I have searched and googled for a solution but apparently there is none to be found. Some people do not even know that their key will not open the boot. Rather than wait till I get a flat battery then realise I cannot get into my boot/trunk to jump start my car I had a go at fixing it this morning. I managed to fix it! Delighted.

In case others have had this problem I put together a video. Hope someone finds it of use.

Last edited by frankc; 25-04-15 at 21:22.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

9. Thanks Administrator, C16RKC thanked for this post
    Likes DouglasXKR, chaz, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    X300 and X308 suffer the same problem. Regular use prevents it from reoccurring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK11963 View Post
    X300 and X308 suffer the same problem. Regular use prevents it from reoccurring.
    True. But they do stop working and this is a fix. Many do not know their boot wont unlock with the key until its too late and they are locked out.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

12. Likes chaz liked this post
Page 2 of 439 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast