Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    good man frank. keep up the good work. chaz

2. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

4. Thanks coling thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Franc
    What a genious, unfortunately for me the seat edge has gone too far its through to the cloth, its the bit that always appears to get your hip area as you get into the car. Love the job on the cracked leather and the engine bay looks great. Unfortunately paintwork wise I was too eager to get her cleaned and shining. I tee cut the surface and applied a good quality polish, left it a couple of days, tree sap got onto it (didn't see tha) polished it again. The tree sap has run between the polish layers and looks like the bonnet has oxidised, strip it back and do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple little bit of advise to all car owners out there with nice leather drivers bolster. Remove the back pocket button on your trousers, it acts as a scraper each time you get in and out of the car. As for the perished leather you do know it can be removed like a sock so you can get it fixed dont you? Just look on youtube for "xk headrest repair" and you will see how it lifts off. Oh that reminds me, head rest repair... another for my "to do" list.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Franc
    Thanks again what a mine of useful information, I just wish the previous owner(s) had been told that. I will look at the issue of removing the seat cover and having it repaired, was going to do that when I strip the interior for the weld next year. Oh the joys of motoring!

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Control Fix

I thought the controls felt a little loose. So today I had a good look and sure enough the controls were just hanging loose. It took some working out but basically if you have this problem you put the front in push it HARD to the front, being careful of course you dont break it, then whilst the pressure is on the front you push the back in hard. It has two tiny protruding clips that have to fit into two slots. It is now in solid. Obviously the Jag dealership, or who ever did it, could not get it to stay in. I may be a fussy sod but why don't people do a proper job first time?

Picture time

When the weather gets a little warmer I will attend to those small marks you can see. That's the problem with up close photos..... It can point out the worst bits.
    Last edited by frankc; 20-11-14 at 22:26.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine Bay again.

The sun was shining this morning so I popped out and did a little more work on the engine clean up. Still a lot to do, but getting there

The photo below is actually after I cleaned and de-greased it. You can imagine what it looked like before I started working on it.

Nearly there

After a little more effort.

The close up photos show areas that need redoing but I will get around to that after I sort out a few more important things.
    It's in the detail.

10. Likes chaz, Administrator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, get yourself some carburettor cleaner. You'll be surprised at what that stuff can shift.

Jim
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Frank, get yourself some carburettor cleaner. You'll be surprised at what that stuff can shift.

Jim
    Thanks Jim, I do have some carb cleaner. Just never thought of trying it on these parts. Going to go out and give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been out at the car again, just cant keep away. Today been literally scrapping off the rust around the fuse box holder with a screw driver. Dusted all the bits off and used rust treatment to turn the rust back into metal so I can paint it, when I can find some paint. Also been around the bay again looking for rust that I may have missed for treatment. I found a really bad bit last time and treated it. Had a look today and I cant find it, obviously the treatment worked.

Gave the hood a wash for the first time. Normally I would not wash it but I noticed the other day that bits are turning green. Obviously never been treated or cleaned since new. Scrubbed away the worst bits just above the boot lip. Cannot tell if its gone until it dries but in this weather I may have to wait some time. Come spring its going to get a good clean. Re-colour and re-proofing.

Washed the rest of the car and a bit of a shine up. Ohhh it looks sooo good when its all clean. Proud owner here.

Still awaiting some Black Waxoyl to do the under sealing. Should have been here last Tuesday. Arrr some people make me mad.

Jobs to still to do. Fit new Powerflex bushes back and front. £407 + fitting. Sort out the vacuum problem in the petrol tank ( causes a thunk from the back very occasionally ) Take a closer look at the passenger side foglight. Clean and lubricate all the bits under the car especially the handbrake. Clean. Treat rust. Underseal. Then Waxoyl the underside and wheel arches. Clean, colour and re-proof the hood. New serpentine belt.

It goes in on December 12th for respray and fixing of rusty bits on rear bumper, window trim and lots of nic's and scratches.

Am I being too fussy?
    It's in the detail.

14. Likes X-type_Bobstar liked this post
Page 3 of 421 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast