Page 385 of 385 FirstFirst ... 285335375381382383384385
Results 3,841 to 3,848 of 3848

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like

The Boat Inn.

Glorious day. My friend and I took a drive through the countryside. Top down. Aircon on. Sun full blast. Ended up at a tiny old riverside pub called the Boat Inn. We sat atop a high bank under the shade of a tree. A view of the river Severn one side and this sat waiting for us on the other. What better way to spend a summers day?

2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

2. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Purrrfick Frank.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

4. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most valuable car in the car park Frank. Very satisfying!

6. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont know about the most valuable but it was the only one I wanted to drive home. They say the best way to judge paintwork is in the glare of the sun as it shows up the smallest faults. Well it must have been 30* out there today with brilliant sunshine and I was proud of my paint work. As one bloke said as he went passed "you can shave in that" a compliment indeed.
    It's in the detail.

8. Likes 20inchguns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sport button not being very sporty.

Coming home from lunch today I glanced down and the 'Sport' button by the gear shift was illuminated. I switched it off, well I tried to anyway. No matter how I wiggled and pushed the thing would not go off and stay off.

So I went to Rev Sams video on how to remove the gear shift surround.
    After a bit of fiddling I managed to get it off. Unfastening the connector to the speed button, simple push in button and slide connector apart.

Then I got out my CRC Maf cleaner, a good electrical cleaner would do the same. Sprayed it into the slot marked below. Seconds later button worked as good, if not better than before. Saved me a few quid buying another button etc. Simple but satisfying job.

Another plus was the ability to clear 15 years of accumulated grunge under the surround, as marked below. I also cleaned the plastics and treated with Aircraft 303 to stop the plastics going brittle with age.

Franks tip. When you put the surround back on put the rear of the surround down and in first.

Always something to do.
    It's in the detail.

10. Likes MarkFY, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Horse Power, again

Nothing to do with cars, our little racehorse won again today. Two wins in a week. I can get used to this.
    It's in the detail.

12. Likes 20inchguns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frank, the postman delivered some new Oatmeal foam backed covering material for the screen header and A post covers which, like yours, need re-covering. I'll just have to pop into Screwfix for a bottle of Nemesis aerosol adhesive which they recommend as it is stable up to 100C. You normally go into great detail when writing up your jobs, but I can't find your "How to" part when re-covering the screen header. I'll just have to go it alone.

I have had a new supercharger belt sitting in the boot of my XKR for a while now awaiting fitment. I tried a while ago and gave up as it seemed to me that I would have to remove the top hose and drain the cooling system so that the fan pack could come out allowing access to the belt tensioner. My Indie said he has a special slim tool specially designed to release the tension without having to remove the fan unit so I decided to let him do it. When I picked up the Jag he then told me he just undid the 22mm nut holding the oil cooler feed pipe to the oil cooler and the fan unit slid out!!!!! I could have done that, if only I had known. Anyway, the job has been done and the engine has stopped sounding like a "squealing hoar", to quote my Indie! £40 well spent!

Your XKR is looking superb now Frank. Mine is at the stage of having to spend LOTS of money on it if I want it to be perfect which it never will, so I have decided to just be happy with it as it is.

I am not sure if this is allowed, but here is a link to the August edition of Jaguar World which makes interesting reading.
    http://ourmagazines.co.uk/URurT

Check out the XKR story which starts on page 64. T205 PUH is my one.

Keep on Jaggin' and fettlin'.
    Any more horsey wins?
    Currently enjoying:
    2009 XKR convertible. 25k miles.
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey with Dove Grey Interior. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 63,000 miles.
    1999 XKR Convertible. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 76k. LOUD pipes. Great!
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convertible Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convertible Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

Recovering header bar and A Pillars.

Sorry Stag your right of course I did not do much of a how to. Its so simple it was not really worth a write up.

Basics.

1. Lay out the new stuff on a table covered in newspaper for any glue over spill.
    2. Remove/scrape off the old stuff on your pillars etc. I used an old sharp knife. Messy and smelly. I simply sat on my garden patio wall taking my time scrapped off as much as I could. Then washed them down and wiped them dry.
    3. Lay out your items to be covered on the new stuff to work out how your going to cut it up. I cut out the A pillars first then sat the big bit in the material that was left.
    4. Cut out the length first of the A pillars.
    5. Place a A pillar onto the material and roll the new stuff around it. Leaving enough on the edges to give a decent overlap on the inside of the pillar.
    6. If yours is like mine its got internal 'fins' for want of a better word. Cut slots out of new material so it can go either side of those fins.
    7. Cut off large excess, but you can trim further when you have stuck it down.
    8. Pretend you have sprayed the material and place one outside edge, allowing for over lap behind, then roll the material around the front and up the opposite side. Better to find mistakes now rather than when its all sticky.
    9. At this point do not worry about holes you may have to cut. You do this later after the material is on.
    10. Spray on your adhesive to the new material. I did not do both the pillar and the material, just the material.
    11. Leave it alone for about 5-10 mins.
    12. Present the new material to the edge of the pillar, not forgetting to leave the overlap. I put my straight edge on the material straight edge first, no overlap. I had to pull it off.
    13. Roll the pillar so it takes up the new material keeping it tight but not too tight.
    14. Work it onto the pillar using the flat of your hand to smooth it on. Work over first then down to the dippy bit, you know the bit I mean. Simply smooth the material and remove creases, air etc. Try not to use fingers and it will leave an impression. When your happy how it looks at the front pull the material over the edge. Ensure its well down. Now you can use your fingers as this bit is behind. Trim off any excess.
    15. I cant emphasize this enough. Ensure the edge is sharp and the overlap at the rear is well stuck down. If its going to fail anywhere then its on this bit.

Its the same procedure for the overhead bar, or what ever its called. Dont worry about the holes. Just put material over the entire thing. When its dried, again making sure the edges are sharp and well fixed down. Take a razor blade or very sharp craft scalpel cut a Cross through the material over the holes, do not cut off too much though! You may have to apply more adhesive to the edges. Ensure a good overlap and trim off any excess again. You will find that when you put the light in and the blind holders it will pull the material tight.

Its worth doing and if a cack handed guy like me can do it anyone can.

Franks tip. If you do get glue on the outside use a cloth with rubbing alcohol on it, available cheap at chemists or online, to wipe off the marks. Not to much though you dont want to unstick it.
    Dont be too quick to put them back on the car. Leave them out in the hot sun. This will show you bits that have not stuck down as well. Better and easier to find off the car than having to remove everything again.
    Last edited by frankc; Today at 08:26.
    It's in the detail.

15. Thanks Stagnite thanked for this post
Page 385 of 385 FirstFirst ... 285335375381382383384385