Page 396 of 399 FirstFirst ... 296346386392393394395396397398399 LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 3984

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    Hang on Frank, I’ll get my coat!
    Same pub Stag, same beer and pie you had. I'd better get going. Starting to drool at the thought. See you there!

I waited. Got you a pint. Forced to eat all alone and drink your beer.
    Last edited by frankc; 28-08-18 at 19:52.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-type_Bobstar View Post
    I noticed the new plate, looks great! I am in two minds, I want a private plate - BT51 XKR or BT51 JAG. BT51 JAG would look good next to my X-Type if I put BT55 JAG on that. Matching pair.
    I'm going to do my grille too now, both the XKR and X-Type.

I gave in and bought BT51 XJR for my car.

BT - initials, 51 -year of birth, the car is an XJR...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825_123536.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	403.1 KB 
ID:	28321
    MY2007 XJR - Frost Blue - Middle East spec - LHD
    MY2017 Suzuki Vitara - the Tonka Truck

3. Likes Jimbov8, Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrecosse View Post
    I gave in and bought BT51 XJR for my car.

BT - initials, 51 -year of birth, the car is an XJR...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825_123536.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	403.1 KB 
ID:	28321
    Nice looking car. Also nice to find a member older than me!

Thats the thing about registrations. Either you know straight away what they mean or people never notice. With Jag lovers though they are usually quite clued up on the personal reg numbers.

The original number on mine was T 29 XJR a personal plate put on by the original owner. Cannot think of a good reason why he picked that one.

As I said before though a very nice, clean looking car.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frank, to return to the car cover theme a moment, I have decided to bite the bullet and to hell with the appearance. Thank you for your research and tips - the water-less wash spray before applying for instance and how to fold the cover to remove it from the car. I know I said I didn't want to look out the window to see it but the requirement overrides the need for one. Therefore, the XK8 is being reassigned to a position in front of the garage (which is not under my front window), and I'll just have to look at a, whisper it, bmw under the window. I will be buying the same one as you, I know, I know, I don't have a mind of my own.
    Anyway, thanks again.
    1998 XK8 coupe, Antigua blue, stainless sports exhaust system, tensioners replaced - low mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B o B View Post
    Hi Frank, to return to the car cover theme a moment, I have decided to bite the bullet and to hell with the appearance. Thank you for your research and tips - the water-less wash spray before applying for instance and how to fold the cover to remove it from the car. I know I said I didn't want to look out the window to see it but the requirement overrides the need for one. Therefore, the XK8 is being reassigned to a position in front of the garage (which is not under my front window), and I'll just have to look at a, whisper it, bmw under the window. I will be buying the same one as you, I know, I know, I don't have a mind of my own.
    Anyway, thanks again.
    Bob. You will thank yourself in the end. Though a cover is not for the everyday driver you will appreciate it when you remove the cover after a few days/weeks and its still clean underneath. I have had to use the Jag ever other day so its not been worth it to put the cover back on and I have really noticed the difference. Cleaned the car last night. Left cover off because I was going to use it this afternoon and this morning I have bird )(*& on it and a 'crust' if you know what I mean.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know what your doing. Its appreciated.
    It's in the detail.

7. Likes B o B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Twiggy's Holiday.

Yes thought the car needed to stretch its wheels so I decided to take it on holiday down just outside Oxford.

Called in at the Bicester shopping village. Never again. Terrible parking. Eventually I found a spot right at the end of the car park but it was just behind the sign saying "valet Parking" so down came the window. ' can I park there or is that valet parking spot'. Yes sir you can park it there. Would you like me to park it for you?" Valet parking. "no thanks, but do you charge for valet parking?". "Yes sir, £35" So he was going to charge me £35 for driving 20 feet at the most. Stuff that.

Then you go in and the "discount" part has gone. Stupid prices for a Label. For instance I wore a very good quality jumper. Wandering around a shop in the village I thought .... "thats my jumper" same colour, pattern etc. I put it against mine and its exactly the same. At last I have found something to buy.......... yea right. £400. With discount etc in M & S mine was £28, even then I thought that was a lot.

So at least I could get a coffee and cake while I was there. Slice of cheese cake £6.75 Coffee £8. Drove off. Found a nice country pub. Steak sandwich and a half of bitter £12. That's more me!!

After my little lunch I turned up at the hotel. Just wanted a couple of days of change.

So here is my little car outside the hotel.

P.S did you spot it? ( I do not mean my car)
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your cat looks right at home there Frank! Yeah with you on the valet parking, stuff that...

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 80k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

10. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wing mirror heater.

On the day of my departure from the hotel I had risen early as usual. Been for a walk. Put the bags in the car and sorted out the Sat Nav for the trip home. I ran the engine and put the rear windscreen heater on. As I am sure you know that, in the XKR anyway, the rear heater also switches on the wing mirror heaters. The passengers side de-misted lovely. Whilst the drivers side stayed fogged up. Ohhh dear.

So today I decided to remove the glass and see if I could see what the problem was.

Here is Franks 'how to'.

Push the mirror in as far as it will go at the end nearest the car. Put a plastic lever behind it. At the other end with your fingers if they are tiny enough or another plastic lever apply gentle outward pressure and at the same time at the car end push along the inside edge towards the outside edge, not pry out. Its under a spring type restraint. Once the mirror has moved about 3 mm you will find the outer edge comes out/off. With the outer edge off you push that edge back towards the car to free that end.

The mirror could be electro chromic, very expensive, so put a towel/padding on floor to catch the glass if you loose grip on it. Also do not put too much pressure on the glass as again if it cracks its useless and VERY expensive to replace.

Once mine was out I found a loose wire! A quick pinch up with the pliers. A bit of electrical cleaner. WD40 later I put it all back together. Without a laser thermometer I cannot tell if its working again or not, but I strongly suspect it is.

So this is the lever I used on mine. Levering it gently, you can feel it 'bounce' away from the car.

I could not photograph the lever at the other end as I left my 3rd hand at home.

Once the glass was loose I unplugged the three wires behind it. This is what I could see.

One of the wires, brown bottom left, was not connected. A quick spray with electrical cleaner on all the connectors and a nipping of the loose connection with a pair of pliers would ensure it does not come undone again.

Clean up of the inside and a spray of WD.

To put the mirror back in place 'hook' the car end bracket first. Then push in the other end till it clicks/snaps back in. You can feel it connecting.
    With the mirror back in place, job done? Will not be able to tell till tomorrow morning when It mists up again. That should fix it though!

Update.

It did fix it. Went out and sprayed it with a mist of water. Need not have bothered with the water though. After a short while of running the car with the rear heater on you could feel the mirror heating up. Job's a gun un.
    Last edited by frankc; 14-09-18 at 16:21.
    It's in the detail.

12. Likes payno, Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    P.S did you spot it? ( I do not mean my car)
    Spot what Frank ?
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    Spot what Frank ?
    Ahhhh beginning to think no one had noticed that. What's odd about the photo of the car outside the hotel, it is actually there before you guess that
    It's in the detail.

Page 396 of 399 FirstFirst ... 296346386392393394395396397398399 LastLast