Page 412 of 412 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412
Results 4,111 to 4,112 of 4112

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just realized I did not answer you question completely. The nut is a Stainless Steel nut size M8. I am sure you can buy a whole packet for what the dealers charge for one
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like

Cabin Interior/Ambient Sensor.

Some time ago I had a small irritation, no not that sort. The temperature inside the cabin did not seem to match the display on the head unit. I suspected the interior cabin temperature sensor. Finding out where it was, behind a vent in the car, I sprayed some MAF cleaner through the vent. It certainly helped.

This week I did a bit more research, thanks Phil, and decided to tackle it properly.

We are talking about a UK car here. Your car may also be different if it has forward traffic sensing radar as it will have a button in the first picture below instead of a vent.

So in front of the car are two small vents. One either side of the steering wheel.

This one on the (uk) drivers right.

The other on the left just above the drivers knee. Thats the one that contains the sensor.

At first I was going to pry the vent out, bad idea do not try it. You will see why later.

Follow the leather bolster down and you will find two 8mm nuts, one either side.

This is the left one.

This is the right one, looks like someone has had this cover off in the past.

So stick on a 8 mm socket and loosen, do not remove the nuts. ** Frank tip** I found it hard to work out, or it simply did not feel right, which direction is Loosen/tightening when undoing nuts upside down. The answer is both obvious and simple, though it did take me a while to catch on. Simply use the wrench the right way up. Set it to unscrew etc then turn it upside down to work on the nut.

When the nuts are loose the next job is to pry out the top catches. Shown below. Mine were in very tight. I found the best way for me was to do one side at a time. Put a pry tool at the top and at the side at the same time then gently pry outwards. Then do the other side of the steering wheel.

Once loose you slide it off the 8mm bolts you loosened earlier. Unclip the two connections underneath. Make note of the position of the valet sensor connection especially the two tiny clips that go on the outside. Seems a flimsy setup compared to the other side. You will see what I mean when you do it.

This is my rather dirty knee bolster out. Did not actually look that bad in position.

So onto the sensor work.

To remove it from the exterior vent you have to push in two tiny clips either side. When I first saw them I thought it was just white paint. On much closer inspection it turned out to be the clips holding the vent in.

This is the part I refer to above.

Same place close up. There another two clips on the other side. They simply push in with something tiny to release.

See why I think its a bad idea to try and pry out the vent?

So now the cover is off the sensor. I thought mine was relatively clean, see photo below. Looks like the MAF cleaner did its job. I still took a Q tip and cleaned it with alcohol.

That done I had a go at the rather dirty leather cover.

Spent sometime on it and now its ready for refit. All clean I also tackled the rear too. The bolster is metal covered in leather, surprisingly heavier than I thought. Even rust to treat!

So here it is done. Quickly and easily refitted. Slid into the bottom two nuts first. Reconnected wires at rear. Clips pushed back in. Tighten the bottom nuts. Jobs a gud un.

Any detached leather can be superglued back in place.

One more thing off the 'To do' list. Hope someone finds it helpful.
    Last edited by frankc; Yesterday at 16:17.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

3. Likes Stagnite liked this post
Page 412 of 412 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412