Page 418 of 422 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422 LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 4215

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    See you learn something everyday. I did not know that some Jags had sunroof's!
    Oh yes.

Here's mine! (an X351, not an X100, but still a Jag!)

Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

2. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whilst the weather is chilly and I am forced to just sit here and drink tea I thought id occupy myself enlightening some of the newer owners, the old hands probably know these already, with a series of "you did not know you did not know this".

So my first one........

You have locked up the car and want to stick something in the boot but you dont want to unlock the whole car....... if you push the boot/trunk button on your remote it will open the boot for you without setting off the alarm!
    Works on the XF BUT it carries the obvious risk that I discovered the hard way!! Hadn't had the car long and we were on holiday in Northumberland. Having a picnic on a nice sunny day my wife asked me to get something out the boot. I went back to the car that was locked, just opened the boot with the fob, put the fob down in the boot - got what I needed and shut the boot!!! Oh S**t !! My wife had the spare fob but had left that back at the cottage we were staying at 20 miles away! The car was still under warranty and included Jagaur assistance. I rang them and even though we were in a fairly remote area a chap from a garage at Seahouses turned up about an hour later. He said he would be using a "low tech approach" to get in. He had a small rubber pump a bit like an old blood pressue testing kit. He inserted the flat part into the edge of the door and then pumped it up to move the edge of the door enough to insert a metal rod through to press the keyless start which turned the ignition on and then got the rod to lower an electric window which gave access to the door locks and he was in. He was very careful and didn't scratch any paintwork although he got me to sign a disclaimer first. Apparently if my car had had keyless entry it prevents you locking the fob in the car.

Rather an embarrassing incident and needless to say I have been more careful where I put the fob since!!!
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

4. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen those bags on Ebay. So much for the XF security system though. Happy it ended well. I have been educated as well Mac. Thanks for that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Air-...:rk:3:razz:f:0
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

6. Thanks J.J.X.T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's just the sort of thing that the guy used to get into my car - I had been expecting him to turn up with a laptop/tablet of some electronic gizzmo. Doesn't say much for the XF's security system and despite all the advances in car technology it is still possible to gain entry using methods that would have worked 30/40 years ago. I suppose it is the immobilisers that have have improved and prevent the car being driven without the key although there are ways round that I believe.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

8. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    Works on the XF BUT it carries the obvious risk that I discovered the hard way!! Hadn't had the car long and we were on holiday in Northumberland. Having a picnic on a nice sunny day my wife asked me to get something out the boot. I went back to the car that was locked, just opened the boot with the fob, put the fob down in the boot - got what I needed and shut the boot!!! Oh S**t !! My wife had the spare fob but had left that back at the cottage we were staying at 20 miles away! The car was still under warranty and included Jagaur assistance. I rang them and even though we were in a fairly remote area a chap from a garage at Seahouses turned up about an hour later. He said he would be using a "low tech approach" to get in. He had a small rubber pump a bit like an old blood pressue testing kit. He inserted the flat part into the edge of the door and then pumped it up to move the edge of the door enough to insert a metal rod through to press the keyless start which turned the ignition on and then got the rod to lower an electric window which gave access to the door locks and he was in. He was very careful and didn't scratch any paintwork although he got me to sign a disclaimer first. Apparently if my car had had keyless entry it prevents you locking the fob in the car.

Rather an embarrassing incident and needless to say I have been more careful where I put the fob since!!!
    I did the same stupid thing. Opened the boot with the remote button on my S Type, put the fob in my jacket pocket then took my jacket off, chatted to a neighbour whilst putting y jacket in the boot and shut the lid!!!!!!!! I immediately realised what I had done. My then Mrs drove the 10 miles to find me and brought the spare key.

The XKR I had with keyless entry saved the day when I did the same thing, but the clever car knew the fob was in the boot and opened the boot itself - that was a very tense second I can tell you.

Heres one for those with paddle shifts. Did you know that if you are in "manual" mode and hold the right hand (shift up) paddle for a second, the gearbox goes back into DRIVE mode again?

If you have an early XK with the Merc gearbox, if you are in D and creeping, when you select sport mode, you can feel the box change into first gear for a faster take off. In D in takes off in second.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen those bags on Ebay. So much for the XF security system though. Happy it ended well. I have been educated as well Mac. Thanks for that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Air-...:rk:3:razz:f:0

They might be pretty handy for removing door cards.

Someone who shall remain nameless just wot stop talking - another good idea
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

11. Likes payno, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My friend had a new Range Rover with keyless entry. He popped around with his Mrs. We left them chatting as we totottled off to our local, The Duke that you know. On the way there I noticed a blue or red? Triangle lit on the dash. Neither of us had any idea what it meant. So as he drove I dug out the handbook and went through it. As we pulled up at the pub I found the right page. Found the triangle warning before I could say "Stop dont turn off the car" the engine went quiet. Sugar, or words to that effect. Apparently the lit triangle meant that the keycard was not present. It was in the hall way in his jacket. Close enough to the car to start it but we had no way of starting the car to get back. I had my car keys in my pocket so she, his wife, could not use my car to drive out to me to give us the key card for the Range Rover. Eventually we sorted it but a simple pub run became very complicated.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have done a stupid thing!

A couple of years ago I drove my XK out of my garage, with the key fob on the passenger seat. As I came down the drive my neighbour was walking up, to collect a parcel we had taken in for her. Not wishing to stop the engine before it went through its warming up process, I got out with the engine running, closed the door, and went to get her parcel.

When I came back the engine was still running, but the doors had self-locked, as they always do when you drive off. So I was locked out of my car with the engine still running. It wasn’t a problem because I was still at home, with easy access to the second key fob, but I learned a valuable lesson there!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

14. Likes frankc, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have a laugh on me......... (no its not me in the review) https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1152103
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I AM CRYING !!!!!!!!!! Good one
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Page 418 of 422 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422 LastLast