Page 429 of 429 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429
Results 4,281 to 4,287 of 4287

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is how they set the doors at the car factory's with a big hammer and chisel but this is done before its painted
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

2. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roof beading.

Whenever I have re-proofed the convertible top I have never been 100% sure which is the good water beading and which is the not-so-good stuff. I will put up a link here later to a previous post to show you what I mean. As promised the link to my earlier posting. https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post738942 So I have decided to get it straight in my head once and for all. I would do half the roof now. Let it dry then wash the car to compare beading effects. So if you have never re-proofed your convertible roof before this is what I do . It seems to work for me.

First off wash the car and the roof and let it dry overnight. Not best practice to reproof a damp roof.

So fist job is to vacuum it to get rid of any loose stuff.

Use a nail brush to remove any stubborn bits.

Use the flat of your hand to ensure there are no more loose bits and to get rid of any brush or vacuum marks.

This next bit you obviously do not need to do. I masked off half the roof for comparison purposes.

My tool kit. Fabsil tent and fabric waterproofer. One tin that size should easily do two roofs, I think I am on my third application.

My method is to pour some in an old clean lid and use a paintbrush to apply.

So on with the Fabsil.

Make sure it goes into the clean gutters. Also make sure the stitched seams get a good coat. It those go rotten..........

Once its all on leave it for around 10-15 mins then go over it with a clean cloth. I use a terry nappy to wipe it over.

This is the bit where I cheat a little. The instructions on the tin say allow 6 hours to dry. That would make it half eight tonight. Dark, cold....... and damp. So I use one of my favorite tools the hairdryer. I am sure the neighbours think I am nuts anyway so nothing lost there

Its also pretty obvious which is the before/after bit as the masking tape would not stick down with the Fabsil under it.

Lastly, for now a more clear view of the before/after sections.

Not finished yet!! Got to wash the car and take a look at the beading, then do the other half!

Back hopefully tomorrow.

'Tomorrow'

Well what a result. I even left a bit of masking tape on the car so I could see where the two halves where. Need not have bothered. It's really obvious. I sprayed the roof with water this morning. The proofed side beads and the non-reproofed is 'flat'. You will see what I mean when you take a look at the photo below.

I have now done the otherside, after drying the roof completely. Did not think it needed doing but obviously I was wrong. Another job off the list!

My roof from the past Whilst searching for the link mentioned at the start of this post I came across a previous photo of my roof. What it was like when I first got the car. Practically all green, even after several washes the top still looked bad by today's standards. Take a look. This is one of the main reasons for this story to take a look at my past work or condition of car. Eye opening.

Last edited by frankc; Yesterday at 15:05.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

4. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Likes coling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So anyone got the urge to go out and do their convertible roof yet? The sun is shining lovely here.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    So anyone got the urge to go out and do their convertible roof yet? The sun is shining lovely here.
    Nearly Frank. Day off from Jury Services today and sun has been shining. Waterproofing the roof is nearly top of my list now but today I got out the ramps and removed the undertrays in the hope of curing my annoying rattle, then got carried away washing and polishing in the sunshine.
    Wasted time stripping a faulty dishwasher before ordering a new one. I think the main pump has broken.
    Roof tomorrow then.
    Update. Hang on, it’s only 15.54!!! So out with the Nikwax and after a vacuum, the roof has been done. I had an idea about going for a spin to dry it off but decided to just mop up the runs on the paintwork and pop the car in the garage where it can dry overnight.
    Last edited by Stagnite; Yesterday at 16:27.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work and write up as usual Frank.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 17k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 80k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

8. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job done there Frank but I can’t believe you put that tin straight on the bodywork.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

10. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    Nearly Frank. Day off from Jury Services today and sun has been shining. Waterproofing the roof is nearly top of my list now but today I got out the ramps and removed the undertrays in the hope of curing my annoying rattle, then got carried away washing and polishing in the sunshine.
    Wasted time stripping a faulty dishwasher before ordering a new one. I think the main pump has broken.
    Roof tomorrow then.
    Update. Hang on, it’s only 15.54!!! So out with the Nikwax and after a vacuum, the roof has been done. I had an idea about going for a spin to dry it off but decided to just mop up the runs on the paintwork and pop the car in the garage where it can dry overnight.
    A man after my own heart. I had an annoying rattle in my car but after she got out it stopped.

I used to repair my dishwasher , washing machines etc. Changing bushes and cards then I thought sod it. All this hassle when I have money in the bank? Like you I now simply go out and buy new. Not exactly green but can you imagine youth of today fixing their machines?

So you succumbed to lure of the sunshine. Roof all ready for summer....... very nice.

Almost forgot to ask. Whats that Nikwax like? Easy to apply? Expensive?
    Last edited by frankc; Yesterday at 22:35.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Page 429 of 429 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429