Page 545 of 548 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548 LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,450 of 5477

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is you’re fine if you aren’t stopping, but what about if someone runs into you, and emergency services are called. All sorts of potential contacts. Just not worth the risk unless the journey is “necessary “.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    4.2 2004 (04) XK8 Silver
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and rust part 2

Today I did the drivers side. The wheel was a little easier to remove as yesterday I sprayed the joint with WD40 and let it soak through. A few bashes with the rubber mallet and it was free.

This time I remembered to photograph the struts and arms. I cleaned them up. Painted with Kurust. Then hammerited them. So in some of the photos you will see a pale blue colour that's Kurust not activated yet.

Cleaned out and painted with Kurust. Turns rust back to black metal.

First coats.

I can see that it looks like a mess in there. Normally by now I would have had the wheels off and done all the rust etc by now. Alas months of solid rain and cold weather put me off doing it. At last though can get started. It is though just a start. I need the car up in the air to crack on properly.

So rusty parts treated. Hammerited. Wheel faces treated with Kurust. Painted with copper crease. Silver parts surrounding disc treated and painted with silver caliper paint. Actual wheels degreased, cleaned, painted where necessary. The bolts I just treated with Kurust and shone the silver bits.

Wheel back on. Cup of coffee later I put the top down and took it for a drive around the block. Hmmm heaven. My first top down drive this year. No stopping or even passing other cars.

Still much to do. Hope the good weather continues. I want to finish off underneath etc.
    Last edited by frankc; 25-03-20 at 22:24.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

3. Likes Jimbov8, 20inchguns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more day.

As your aware I have been working on the car for the past couple of days doing what I call the 'top rust'. Rust on bars and struts that you can only really get to from the top so to speak.

Looking at the weather forecast yesterday it appeared the lovely weather was going to end today. Cloudy, cold, icy winds etc. Just as I was getting going to! Got up this morning though and the sun is shining. No rain. No wind. Him upstairs has given me another day. Very nice of him. So I have taken advantage of that this morning.

Ramps out. Up onto ramps. Got to the front of the car and blasted underneath with a high pressure hose to remove any loose dirt, dust etc. Just waiting for that to dry, and for it to get a bit warmer. Then I can get cracking.

So here it is up on the ramps ready for me to start work. Whats with the brush and chair? Sitting in the car you cannot see where the ramps end. So I measured the distance. Stood the brush up against the chair. So when the nose of the car moves the brush slightly I am in the right spot. Simple but effective! (Bit like me)

Hosed down and dripping but you can still see the rust.

Seeing that photo reminds me I need to remove that panel!

Overalls on time!
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

5. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morning Frank,

I see you have Powerflex bushes, what do you reckon to them, did you notice much of a difference?

I'm thinking of changing mine as I have a couple of bushes that could do with replacing.

Kev.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Cheddar Gorge is one of my favourite UK beauty spots and there are car parks at various points as you climb up it, one of the best I think is here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...f702a81e?hl=en it faces south and Glastonbury Tor features in the landscape. The car park and gorge was featured on Wheeler Dealers Honda S2000 programme.
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Porcelain White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev P View Post
    Morning Frank,

I see you have Powerflex bushes, what do you reckon to them, did you notice much of a difference?

I'm thinking of changing mine as I have a couple of bushes that could do with replacing.

Kev.
    On my last three cars I changed from original to powerflex even if there was nothing wrong with them. I do the entire car. That way come MOT time its one less thing to worry about. They should outlive the car and I also think there is a guarantee to that effect to, but double check that.

Some say it stiffens up the ride but personally I think the car just feels more solid. If your bushes are badly worn you will feel the difference. It's a good difference. I only recommend stuff if I truly think they work. I recommend powerflex bushes. No I don't work for them.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    As your aware I have been working on the car for the past couple of days doing what I call the 'top rust'. Rust on bars and struts that you can only really get to from the top so to speak.

Looking at the weather forecast yesterday it appeared the lovely weather was going to end today. Cloudy, cold, icy winds etc. Just as I was getting going to! Got up this morning though and the sun is shining. No rain. No wind. Him upstairs has given me another day. Very nice of him. So I have taken advantage of that this morning.

Ramps out. Up onto ramps. Got to the front of the car and blasted underneath with a high pressure hose to remove any loose dirt, dust etc. Just waiting for that to dry, and for it to get a bit warmer. Then I can get cracking.

So here it is up on the ramps ready for me to start work. Whats with the brush and chair? Sitting in the car you cannot see where the ramps end. So I measured the distance. Stood the brush up against the chair. So when the nose of the car moves the brush slightly I am in the right spot. Simple but effective! (Bit like me)

Hosed down and dripping but you can still see the rust.

Seeing that photo reminds me I need to remove that panel!

Overalls on time!
    Don't forget to chock the rear wheels before clambering underneath.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    On my last three cars I changed from original to powerflex even if there was nothing wrong with them. I do the entire car. That way come MOT time its one less thing to worry about. They should outlive the car and I also think there is a guarantee to that effect to, but double check that.

Some say it stiffens up the ride but personally I think the car just feels more solid. If your bushes are badly worn you will feel the difference. It's a good difference. I only recommend stuff if I truly think they work. I recommend powerflex bushes. No I don't work for them.

Cheers Frank,

I think thats the way to go, I will change them all while I'm at it.

Kev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Don't forget to chock the rear wheels before clambering underneath.
    Always do! No desire to be crushed. My next door neighbour made me a couple of wood chocks that would hold a vulcan bomber at full throttle.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev P View Post
    Cheers Frank,

I think thats the way to go, I will change them all while I'm at it.

Kev.
    my local Indy did a health check when I got my car, they recommend mine be done at some time with Powerflex.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    4.2 2004 (04) XK8 Silver
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Page 545 of 548 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548 LastLast