Page 584 of 584 FirstFirst ... 84484534574580581582583584
Results 5,831 to 5,837 of 5837

Thread: Franks XKR Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to use polish, where I can, to bring them back up after washing as it's kinder to the wheels than the alkaline and acid cleaners. It takes a little more effort than scrubbing with chemical cleaners but you get a polished and to some degree, sealed finish.
    (Autoglym SRP)
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be polishing them with SRP, then sealing with Ctechniq G5, but there is a lot of contamination to remove first. Have tried various potions (ValetPro Bilbery, Surfex, Korrosol) but some marks are being very persistent.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    4.2 2004 (04) XK8 Silver
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies to frank for butting in
    robbo are you sure it’s g5 ? C5 is the wheel armour

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s collins View Post
    Apologies to frank for butting in
    robbo are you sure it’s g5 ? C5 is the wheel armour
    Don't apologise. Sounds an interesting question.

I do have a spray can, somewhere, of wheel armour. Ended up not using it much. I found as I washed the car on a regular basis, or rather I did, brake dust build up never became a problem. Perhaps I should dig it out and start using it again.

As for washing the wheels with regular car wash stuff I can see your point. Its not so much the product as the application. The wash mitt I use on the car I do not want to use on the wheels, for obvious reasons. Being a lazy beger I find spraying the wheels with Bilt Hamber. Letting it work. Brushing the worst stubborn bits then hosing it down works a treat. No chance of getting muck on my washing mitt. I did have a dedicated sponge just for the wheels but found the brush works better and I just quickly rinse it under the hose when I am finished.

Each to their own. There is no real right or wrong way of doing these things and we just have to do what works best for us. Getting new tips and perspectives is always a good thing. Gives us things to ponder. That is the good thing about these forums. We all share a common interest. Somehow I cannot see Mrs FrankC getting excited about alternative ways of cleaning alloy wheels.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly there.................

Just noticed something of significance, to me anyway, about today. A anniversary, in some 5 hours................, I am sure you can guess what it is........
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Over the last few years of owning a car I have found places like this forum an invaluable source of information and help. My last car was a BMW and I joined the UK forum. On their site was a "projects" forum. When I took out the entire interior and swapped it over, put in memory seats etc I took lots of before and after photos. After selling the Beemer I looked back on my postings and was surprised by the amount of work, questions and answers over the years. Very enlightening. So I have decided to do the same on here, I hope no one minds me blathering on.

So this will be my XKR story. Good or bad.

When I got the XK home one of the first and obvious things to do was give it a good wash. Several coats of wax and a shield. On first washing I was shocked to see the sheer muck coming from my sponge. Obviously I had made my first mistake and had started washing my new toy with a filthy sponge. So I binned it. Got a new sponge from its wrapper and started again. It was not the sponge. These Zircon Blue cars REALLY hide the dirt well. Several washes and paint cleaner later I then polished etc and it looked much better. So my first before and after shots. Ok YOU may not see much difference but honestly it really was VERY DIRTY.

Before

After

The photo has not been manipulated, it really is a shade lighter.
    Yes an anniversary. Its been six years to the day since I started this little? story. Mainly as a record for me of what I have done. Never dreamed I'd end up with over 5000 replies, 584 pages and 1,161,606 views. To be honest I am not really into the facebook 'friends' things where they try to get as many as they can. However having said that its been quite a little adventure. I have spoken to, and like to think helped, people from all over the world in all walks of life. The reverse has also been true in that I have had help from others.

All in all we have these lovely cars. Call them money pits etc. Pains in the pistons sometimes but in the end they are a joy to drive and own.

Who knows what the next six years will bring, if I am still around that is!

Thanks guys for your support and reading.

Frank C
    It's in the detail.

7. Thanks payno, ducmon, Rhyl46 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct, it is indeed C5. It is not the same wheel armour you are referring to Frank.

The wheels seem to have excessive amounts of tar on them, and it is proving stubborn to remove. I will prevail in the end.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    4.2 2004 (04) XK8 Silver
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Page 584 of 584 FirstFirst ... 84484534574580581582583584