Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: s type 2001 3litre, offside drivers window problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, thank you for the swift reply. Maybe I haven't explained myself quite well, I have the broken forward plastic slider in my hand but to remove it from the door I need to have the Bowden cable removed, this I could do by cutting a slot into the edge of the plastic and lift the cable out through the slot just cut, this is all very well but a new slider may be sealed at its base thus not giving me access to replace the cable. I am thinking if I also cut a slot in the replacement and then use a soldering iron to melt the plastic closed again. Your comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I say, take the Mech out. May be impossible to fit the new slide without a good view of what's going on, can't remember how the cable runs through them.

TT
    ================================================== =====================
    Current Cars
    2001 S-Type 4.0 - Pacific Blue
    2002 Galaxy 2.3 Ghia - State Blue
    2001 S-Type 3.0 Breaker Light Blue
    2000 Focus 1.8 Zetec Breaker Panther black.
    1987 Sierra Sapphire 2.3 8v Project - Galaxy Blue
    20?? Haynes Roadster - Black And Zinc Yellow
    2007 Transit 350-100
    Past Jaguars
    2001 S-Type 3.0 Sport - Pacific Blue
    1999 S-Type 3.0 SE - Cardinal Red - Parts Car

3. Thanks picalopete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It appears then that I should replace the whole regulator, there are 2 large holes in the door, the front one from where I've removed the radio speaker and a rear hole showing a metal strut which I guess is part of the regulator, is this right? So which hole will the mechanism come out from, front or rear?

Post Thanks / Like
    once you have it loose you will wiggle it out without issue, can't remember which way.
    ================================================== =====================
    Current Cars
    2001 S-Type 4.0 - Pacific Blue
    2002 Galaxy 2.3 Ghia - State Blue
    2001 S-Type 3.0 Breaker Light Blue
    2000 Focus 1.8 Zetec Breaker Panther black.
    1987 Sierra Sapphire 2.3 8v Project - Galaxy Blue
    20?? Haynes Roadster - Black And Zinc Yellow
    2007 Transit 350-100
    Past Jaguars
    2001 S-Type 3.0 Sport - Pacific Blue
    1999 S-Type 3.0 SE - Cardinal Red - Parts Car

6. Thanks picalopete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by picalopete View Post
    It appears then that I should replace the whole regulator, there are 2 large holes in the door, the front one from where I've removed the radio speaker and a rear hole showing a metal strut which I guess is part of the regulator, is this right? So which hole will the mechanism come out from, front or rear?
    Well, have you done it yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	253.6 KB 
ID:	20352Hi, I have decided to try the cheapest way at this time and have ordered on ebay as the picture shows. I am still waiting delivery. I am going to try and send you another picture showing the broken slider with the Bowden cable attached, I am hoping that as the cable is loose that I can it back onto the mechanism without too much trouble. Hope you get this picture and my next one to send seperately. Any further help will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	20353This is my broken slider, do you think I will need to remove the regulator to get the cable right? Also how does the motor connect to the regulator, will I need a plug disconnect somewhere to remove the regulator?

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, the complete regulator with motor comes off after removing just a few screws - there are some "you-bend" guides out there which are very good. Disconnect it and bring it in somewhere comfortable to work and replace the plastic parts, grease and put back.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Neilr for your posting, as the slider will be removed whilst the regulator remains fixed in the door I can see no reason to remove the regulator, unless that is the only way to get the Bowden cable back on correctly. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I taped the window up so it stayed put, removed the complete regulator assembly because that is what was suggested. Getting the cable back on was hard in the comparative warmth and comfort of my kicthen. In the car door, I expect I would have amputated a few fingers at least and maybe a hand and still not succeeded The regulator comes out relatively easily and then it is easier to work on too so there is no good reason not to take that approach.

This looks like the guide I used:

http://jagrepair.com/WindowRegulator2000SType.htm
    Last edited by Neilr; 25-10-16 at 15:57. Reason: Added link to guide
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

13. Thanks picalopete thanked for this post
    Likes Lost it liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast