Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cruise problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise problem.

Still have my cruise problem.

This is is what's wrong.....

get to 70mph then press the + on steering wheel, info display in speedo says "over limit 76mph" and a warning bong starts and next to the cruise Amber light there's another one that is like a speedo with a section covered and ASL in it which starts to flash.

Theres nothing in the book about it and it doesn't illuminate when the ignition is turned on.

When this is happening I can, with the +&- buttons alter the speed shown in the display but not the cars speed.

I phoned rybrook jaguar service dept in chester but I think I got put through to the office cat cos he didn't know anything and could only say bring it in for some £80 an hour digging about!!

Had my AA mate put it on his diagnostic machine and no faults were present.

It all started last week when, during driving in heavy rain we stopped at a shop and briefly I got the park brake fault in the display but when I pulled the switch on and off it cleared and hasn't been back on.

Anyone any ideas as to what is the only blott on an otherwise perfect car???
    Last edited by Mr Lawrence; 08-03-15 at 16:06.
    WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

2006 Jaguar S type 2.7diesel V6 se manual in ultra violet blue with nav, 5in oval powerflow backboxes.

2nd car, when im allowed to drive it, is a pretty 1998 m.g.f in solar red. (Now packed away for winter)

3rd car, wifeys baby, is a 2015 Abarth 595 custom in legends blue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd, it sounds like the Automatic Speed Limiter (ASL) is active but I didn't know the S has that.

My Merc has it. I can select either Cruise, or Limit. They will not both work at the same time.

What it does is limit how fast your car will go. You set the limit then no matter what you do with your foot the car won't accelerate above the speed you set as the limit.

If you are going downhill the car can accelerate beyond the set limit, the limiter does not apply any brakes.

I can't find any reference to Speed Limiter in the S Type handbook, does anyone else have this Limiter fitted?

There should be a menu selection or button to switch between Cruise Control and Auto Speed Limiter if it is fitted.

The XF has it.

Afterthought: Did a previous owner install an independent after-market Limiter/Cruise control maybe?

Here's a description leaflet: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/service/procedure/435621/PDF/890391b5-a8bf-4796-901c-f4881dbe98c7/en_GB

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 09-03-15 at 00:11.
    Used to have: Superb Silver 2004 2.5-litre V6 petrol, ZF Auto box
    Don't believe anything I say - Alzheimer's is setting in!
    Links:
    The Coffee Shop Thread: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=65758
    S Type Stickies: http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. Read the link. Jag guy said it sounds like that has been turned on but there's no button to do that.

Ive not done anything different than when I've used cruise before.

Car is a one owner car and has no after market additions

its very frustrating especially now I have cruise and use it all the time, it's true that you don't realise how much you use something till it breaks!!
    WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

2006 Jaguar S type 2.7diesel V6 se manual in ultra violet blue with nav, 5in oval powerflow backboxes.

2nd car, when im allowed to drive it, is a pretty 1998 m.g.f in solar red. (Now packed away for winter)

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy I still can't find anything about an ASL option on an S Type, only XK8 and XF, and I found this: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj...asl-acc-70297/

If there is an ASL option for the S - does anyone know?
    Links:

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you thinking it could be a battery problem?

I think the battery is a jaguar labled one but the previous owner had all the maintenance work done at a main dealer.
    WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

Post Thanks / Like
    No ASL on the S Type. Our Ford S Max has this and its one set of buttons too many on the Steering Wheel if you ask me.

Doug.
    My Boat,Train, Plane & Crane
    2002 STR Zircon
    2003 Mazda Mx-5 Montana

WARNING: Contents may contain total cobblers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chances are if the battery has Jag on it then it's the original one, might be worth changing or charge/conditioning it.

Can I ask you a totally unrelated question, are you into air rifles at all ?

Si.
    07 S-Type 2.7D SE with many toys, if it offered to massage my testicles while driving it wouldn't surprise me !
    This ones got a lightey up ashtray already Andy !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know Andy, the guy who posted that changed his battery and it cured his problem.

Measure your battery voltage in the morning befoire starting to be sure, and if it is about right then the next step is to take it to your dealer for diagnosis, since it looks like the ECU seems to think ASL is engaged but you don't have it. That should only cost half an hour, £66 at my dealer.
    Links:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsbuggered View Post
    Chances are if the battery has Jag on it then it's the original one, might be worth changing or charge/conditioning it.

Can I ask you a totally unrelated question, are you into air rifles at all ?

Si.
    being brought up in the yorkshire countryside I've dabbled into various air rifles. Why do you ask?
    WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    I don't know Andy, the guy who posted that changed his battery and it cured his problem.

Measure your battery voltage in the morning befoire starting to be sure, and if it is about right then the next step is to take it to your dealer for diagnosis, since it looks like the ECU seems to think ASL is engaged but you don't have it. That should only cost half an hour, £66 at my dealer.
    what should the reading be normally??
    WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast