Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaguar X Type 2.0 Diesel GUIDE to: Starter Motor Change

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this job on mine, I dug out the old thread - see below (if it helps at all)
    I found it to be a real "wish I hadn't begun this" task but when i'd finished it, I was well chuffed.
    After I'd located where the starter was actually located, I went thru the right hand side (removed the battery for easier access) to access the USAINs - long reach spanners are the order of the day, dropping the starter out from underneath as I remember.
    Good luck with doing this - don't give up if you get stuck. There are countless brilliant minds on this forum!
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/sta...tor-38695.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not removed the starter completely but have it off enough to inspect the gear.

Mine frequently dosn't engage so I though it must be gunked up. It doesn't look too bad in that respect thought there is some dust in there.

I can't move anything though, am I supposed to be able to? The cog can't be turned by hand and I can't move it along the shaft.

Is it worth spraying WD40 in that area or will that make it a dust magnet?
    Kind regards

Benedict White

Jaguar X Type Sport Estate 2.0D, 2004 (127,000 miles) with most of the toys!

To edit your signature, go to the top right of the forum and click on settings. On the left side you will see 3 panels, The 3rd is "My Settings". Under my settings you will see edit signature.

How to re program tailgate glass see here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just attempting this - I was with you all the way up to 2/ remove the air deflector... what's that exactly?
    I have got the battery off, and its box, and the undertray, and the car is nicely up on axle stands. Will try a bit more tomorrow.
    Jaguar 2.2 Diesel SE (Estate) 2008, Chilli Red (Metallic).

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I have made a start. Working from underneath, pulled off the various vacuum pipes and undid the three 13mm nuts, and got that assembly out ok. Actually I couldn't figure out how to undoe the cable clip so had to mash it up. I managed to get the two 10mm nuts off of the starter motor that hold the annoying little thin metal bracket which has wires attached. The access for the top nut is dreadful and you really need a box spanner though it can be done from side access if you don't mind doing 1/6th of a turn at a time on quite a long thread. These are strange bolts because (having somehow pulled the flimsy metal bracket free) the bolts then have 13mm nut heads and then a very long shank with just the end threaded. Again, a box spanner is ideal for the top one. The bottom one I found difficult to pull out due to stuff in the way (that dumb flimsy metal bracket again!).
    Next, I pulled the starter motor assembly free. And that is where I'm at - after struggling for an hour it is jammed in with all the wires, cooling pipes and stuff - I just can't understand the instructions for proceeding - is it to get at the nuts on the solenoid? Undo the wires? There is a rubber boot covering everything and I just can't see or manoeuvre, or anything. But so nearly there!
    Those pictures are quite detailed but they are difficult to relate to anything - it is hard to get the orientation.
    So far I would rate this job as massively more difficult than the power steering pump!
    Jaguar 2.2 Diesel SE (Estate) 2008, Chilli Red (Metallic).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12