Thread: Alloy wheel's offset?

Post Thanks / Like

Alloy wheel's offset?

Hi all,

Can someone explain the ET or offset of alloy wheels?
    And can it be changed?

Std S wheels = 7.5j x 16 x 60
    Mercurys = 8.0j x 18 x 60
    XJ = 8.5j x 19 x 49.

Thanks.
    Previous owned jags-
    1999 S- type 3.0 auto, late 2002 S type lpg 3.0 auto and 2005 3.0 auto lpg.
    I own a Nissan Skyline 350gt, also own a Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TB TCT and Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat.

Post Thanks / Like
    go to google and put in
    wheel offset

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, have had a look and found -

Fitting 18" Mercurys which are 7.5j ET60 = 8mm less inner clearance and outer extends extra 6mm over my std wheels.
    " 19" Xj Custom 8.5J ET49 = 2mm less inner clearance and outer extends extra 24mm

So would fitting the 'Customs' make much different?
    Previous owned jags-
    I own a Nissan Skyline 350gt, also own a Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TB TCT and Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they going to hit?

What happens in an accident if the police check?

If they're not suitable for the S-Type you could be stuffed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    Are they going to hit?

What happens in an accident if the police check?

If they're not suitable for the S-Type you could be stuffed.
    Ok point taken!

Thanks.
    Previous owned jags-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    go to google and put in
    wheel offset
    Back to your normal surly self then despite our tireless efforts to "helpful-ify" you, 04str.

Shame, for a brief while it seemed to be working, you came out of your home comfort zone a few times.

I've tried to explain to you in several ways that discussion is so much more interactive, interesting, exciting, and appealing, and encourages people receiving your wisdom to reciprocate for others when they know, and you do have great knowledge and occasionally great wisdom.

So? Stop dulling your own worth and knowledge and stop dulling these forums and depressing our members, it's Crass! (Google that!)

Barney can you help me out, give him his "Google It!" sign (find a way to put it in his signature and lock it in!) and sponge me down ready for the next round please?

Quote Originally Posted by 57jam89 View Post
    Ok, have had a look and found -

Fitting 18" Mercurys which are 7.5j ET60 = 8mm less inner clearance and outer extends extra 6mm over my std wheels.
    " 19" Xj Custom 8.5J ET49 = 2mm less inner clearance and outer extends extra 24mm
    Jam, are the 18 inch Mercury 7.5J or 8.0J?

You've mentioned both sizes for them. 8.0J seems right for the offset you mention?
    Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 19-12-15 at 05:09.

7. Likes AliasFaux liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 18“ Mercury wheels and they clear the arches with plenty of room to spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

And can it be changed?

XJ = 8.5j x 19 x 49.

Thanks.
    Offset/ET of a wheel determines where in relation to the hub face the centreline of the wheel sits. An easier way to visualise changing ET it is to think of it as changing the track of the axle. Stick to the offset selected by the manufacturer and the track remains as designed. Increase the offset, the track decreases, etc. Increasing the width of the wheel (and usually tyre) with same wheel ET moves the sides of the tyre nearer to the fixed parts of the car and will eventually make contact somewhere. If you take a wheel with a 10mm smaller offset and 25mm greater width, you will move the outer edge of the tyre 22.5 mm closer to the body wheel arch, etc. If you also put tyres on that have a bigger diameter than standard you obviously get closer to the limits still.

Points to watch apart from the obvious of does it catch on something (and does your insurance company allow the change):

Jaguar seems to use the narrowest wheel they can get away with for a given tyre size. E.g. for an 18" wheel model, you may well find 7.5 and 8" widths. the standard S-Type "245" wheel should not really be mounted on the 7.5" wheel. These were supplied on X-Types which came on narrower tyres. The weight difference and strength are not so important here as the cars are of similar enough weight.

Bigger wheels add weight (worse grip and ride on rough surfaces), have higher inertia (slower acceleration and higher fuel consumption), result in lower and stiffer sidewalls (worse ride), so dynamically are probably a downgrade except for steering response which may be faster. However, for most of us and our typical driving it does not make a lot of difference and clearly a car that looks like a DTM car is better than a plain one.

Changing the track changes the feel of the car usually making it less willing to turn the wider you go, so is also worth bearing in mind when changing wheels.

I went for 18" Jaguar wheels with std. offset (Melbournes with 58mm ET) on Goodyear Eagle F1A 245/40-18 tyres. The ride is a bit worse than when on the 16" 225/55-16 winter tyres but not that much worse than the summer 16" Goodyear Eagle F1s it was on before the change. The car looks a lot better without looking over the top.

You can effectively decrease the offset by adding a spacer. Increasing is not usually an option
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

10. Thanks 57jam89 thanked for this post
    Likes Panthro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

And can it be changed?

XJ = 8.5j x 19 x 49.

Thanks.
    http://www.willtheyfit.com/

by far the best site you will find. Are you reconsidering the customs again?