Thread: XJ12 S2 Starter problem? Funny clicking noise. Video attached.

Post Thanks / Like

XJ12 S2 Starter problem? Funny clicking noise. Video attached.

Hi All,

I have a 1973 S2 XJ12L (carbs). Starter seems a bit stuffed ?

Has been running recently. Was cranking and just about to catch when it started making that clicking sound.

Thought it might be the battery so charged it for 4 days. no difference
    Thought it might be a dud earth so put two jump leads on the battery earth direct to the block, no difference

See video:

BTW earth lead gets pretty warm after a couple of tries. Not too hot to touch but significantly hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wilson.

andiandphil
    Quote Originally Posted by evildrome View Post
    Hi All,

I have a 1973 S2 XJ12L (carbs). Starter seems a bit stuffed ?

Has been running recently. Was cranking and just about to catch when it started making that clicking sound.

Thought it might be the battery so charged it for 4 days. no difference
    Thought it might be a dud earth so put two jump leads on the battery earth direct to the block, no difference

See video:

BTW earth lead gets pretty warm after a couple of tries. Not too hot to touch but significantly hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wilson.
    It's probably the starter pinion jammed into the ring gear due to a little wear on either or both.
    Reach under the car, you may find an access hole in the bottom of the bell housing, if so, poke a substantial flat bladed screwdriver though the hole, and lever on the ring gear teeth (it will only move in one direction), which should release the pinion. If there is no access hole, it is safe to carefully cut one about two inches square, using a quarter inch drill bit, and joining the holes with a file. It worked for me on an XJS V12 I owned many years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the starter and give it a good clean and lubrication. Also check the connections on the starter are clean and tight. You could also bench test the starter to make sure it is working correctly.

The engine could do with a good clean up also.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will try and document my efforts so that if/when I achieve a solution I can save the information here for anyone in the same boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starter gear ring out of mesh. Removed fan. Applied 1" AF socket to crank bolt. Advanced clockwise 10 degrees.

Engine starts.