Thread: puff of blue smoke on hard acceleration

Post Thanks / Like

puff of blue smoke on hard acceleration

Hi all

Jaguar 3Ds

I have noticed in my rearview mirror, puffs of what look like blue smoke from the exhaust, but only on hard acceleration ie when the second turbo cuts in around 2500 rpm its only for a few seconds, and after that if I put my foot down there is no more blue smoke, but after some slow running around town it again will give out a puff of blue smoke, it is not using any oil, I have just done an oil and filters change, and it is still the same, is it possible that the second turbo is passing oil through an oil seal into the air side were it remains until I give it a bit of teddy and the small amount of oil in the air side of the turbo is sent into the engine, I can't think of anything else that could cause this kind of problem, any idea's from members of the forum.

Thanks John193

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John, Please update your signature via the Settings Menu / Edit Signature with your vehicle details so we may be able to give a more knowledgeable response.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of driving do you normally do and what is your current mileage ? Local driving will build up crud in the EGR which will burn off in the exhaust when you floor it.
    2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops! Being a newbie, I think I may have put this in the wrong section.
    Can a 'Mod' move it please?

Evening all.
    I'm a newbie and this is my first post, although I have been lurking for sometime. What prompted me to join is this old post.
    Sorry to resurrect this but these are the exact symptoms I am getting at the moment.
    Did you ever get this sorted? If so, what was it?

Any help/advice would be sooooooo much appreciated.

Rob....

Quote Originally Posted by John193 View Post
    Hi all

Jaguar 3Ds

I have noticed in my rearview mirror, puffs of what look like blue smoke from the exhaust, but only on hard acceleration ie when the second turbo cuts in around 2500 rpm its only for a few seconds, and after that if I put my foot down there is no more blue smoke, but after some slow running around town it again will give out a puff of blue smoke, it is not using any oil, I have just done an oil and filters change, and it is still the same, is it possible that the second turbo is passing oil through an oil seal into the air side were it remains until I give it a bit of teddy and the small amount of oil in the air side of the turbo is sent into the engine, I can't think of anything else that could cause this kind of problem, any idea's from members of the forum.

Thanks John193
    Last edited by Robden; 22-04-17 at 20:15. Reason: Wrong place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed mine giving a pretty good smoke screen during wet weather when the engine has not yet come up to the right temperature.
    When flooring it, down a motorway ramp for example, it gives ashamingly lot of blue smoke.
    But only at moist conditions close to zero temperatures.
    Dry conditions, no smoke screen.
    ?
    2l diesel.

I would rather prefer black smoke screen...
    Blue is embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue equals burning oil.
    Black equals excess fuelling or possible air starvation, e.g. A blocked or dirty Air Filter.
    Mitsubishi ASX as of 31st Dec 2016. Volvo V40 which Replaced my 2005 Jaguar S-Type after nearly 10 years ownership on 25th May 2016, has now gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Range Rover do a “mod kit” for this issue on the range rover’s with the same 3.0D twin turbo but I can’t find Anywhere on the Net if it fits the Jaguar XF. I’ve been experiencing the same issues now for 15k-20k miles now... same big puff off blue smoke, worst if it’s been idling in traffic. Im adamant it’s the cause! It’s well known on forums and there’s videos on YouTube of LR discos doing the same as my Jaguar XF.

See copied and pasted below...

THE 3.0 TDV6 HAS AN ISSUE WITH RETURNING EXCESS OIL FROM THE PRIMARY TURBO CAUSING OIL TO PASS THROUGH THE TURBO HENCE THE IMPRESSION OF A TURBO BURNING OIL AND BLUE SMOKE FROM EXHAUST. USUALLY WORSE AFTER IDLE AND UNDER LOAD FROM STAND STILL.