Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing battery on XF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    The XF has a battery monitoring system (BMS) which some say must be reset by a dealer after changing the battery.
    However the experience of many owners is that is not the case, the BMS resets itself after a few on/off cycles, you don't have to do anything "special".
    I have renewed the battery on two XFs, and disconnected it a number of times on the first one, and I have never had a BMS problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, I have changed my battery twice and never had to do anymore than reset the one touch windows, the EPB shouldn't need resetting, I know mine didn't. Phil
    Thanks guys. That's reassured me.

The reason I thought that I needed a new battery was because the system shut down whilst I was playing with all the new toys with the engine off. There are quite a few posts in this forum about that and it may not necessarily be a problem. I'll keep an eye on the battery and maybe change it before winter comes if it looks like its not up to full capacity. Its resting charge after I had been playing around was 12.39 volts which I think is just about OK.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Post moved to correct section...
    Thanks Rory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well. I checked my battery again and it was 12.05V which is far too low so I ordered a new one and have now fitted it. I just hope there isn't a current drain. Mostly it was a normal battery change except:

1. The long thin securing bolt was very stiff so I had to keep loosening and tightening whilst oiling it to get it out. Once out, I found that it went through the boot floor to the outside and was rusty. If I had realised this I could have sprayed it with lubricant from below.

2. After removing the negative terminal I checked the voltage on the positive terminal as a precaution and found around 1 volt so I made sure none of the positive leads touched anything metal. This voltage must arise from the secondary battery.

3. These stop/start batteries are very heavy - just under 26kgs. Heaving the old one out and the new one in was physically challenging on my own. An extra hand to help take some weight and line it up would have helped.

4. I had to remove the plastic trim at the rear of the boot to make space otherwise I could not have got the old battery out. It was still a tight fit.

5. I had to reset the windows and the clock.

6. The seat belt light flashed until I put the driver's belt on.

6. A warning message told me to apply the footbrake and the electric parking brake at the same time which I did. I assume this resets the latter.

Other than that, everything seems fine. No other warnings appeared and nothing else seems to need resetting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear.

Just so you know, you have just changed the main battery and not the stop start battery as you say at 3.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, you will find quite a few mentions about the battery securing bolt, always a good idea to coat the threads with grease when putting it back, I give it a squirt of grease occasionally from underneath. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    SAVE MONEY AND TIME
    All I did was buy the correct battery from Pep Boys
    Replace your battery WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING!!!
    You will not lose any settings and besides..
    IF YOUR CAR DIES when you remove the terminals...the problem is the ALTERNATOR not yout battery
    Follow these steps
    Buy the correct battery,
    remove the bracket
    Crank your car and while running
    Remove the NEGATIVE first
    Remove the Positive next....protect the positive terminal with a empty styrofoam cup
    change batteries
    install the POSITIVE first
    then the Negative
    re-install yoru bracket...
    and I just saved you a lot of money
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have changed mine with no problems too
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, I have changed my battery twice and never had to do anymore than reset the one touch windows, the EPB shouldn't need resetting, I know mine didn't. Phil
    2010 XFS 3.0D Portfolio with all toys (ACC/Voice/TV etc) except sunroof

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Glad to hear.

Just so you know, you have just changed the main battery and not the stop start battery as you say at 3.
    It's a bit strange that most battery companies advertise their main battery as the one needed for stop/start vehicles, when it doesnt actually do the stop/start. I wonder why that is?
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    It's a bit strange that most battery companies advertise their main battery as the one needed for stop/start vehicles, when it doesnt actually do the stop/start. I wonder why that is?
    Sorry, but on Jags and I suspect pretty much everything else with a stop/start system and a secondary battery the main "big" battery is in fact the one used to power the starter motor.
    The secondary "small" battery is used to run the peripherals (lights, ICE, A/C etc) when the engine has been shut down.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    Sorry, but on Jags and I suspect pretty much everything else with a stop/start system and a secondary battery the main "big" battery is in fact the one used to power the starter motor.
    The secondary "small" battery is used to run the peripherals (lights, ICE, A/C etc) when the engine has been shut down.

Hmm! Jaguar must have given me a bum steer then, any comments?

The MY14 XF has a secondary battery fitted specifically for engine re-starting, meaning that all the normal car systems – such as the entertainment system, the ventilation and lights – continue to receive power from the standard car battery and are unaffected by the re-start. In addition, a complex control system ensures that the Stop/Start operation only occurs when the car does not require the engine for other functions.
    Last edited by Poundy; 12-10-18 at 13:02.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast