Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Changing battery on XF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    Found it, it was right in front of my nose the whole time!

On page 10120 of my copy of the Workshop Manual, dunno how I missed it last time:

"The primary battery is used for the engine Stop/Start. The secondary battery is switched by the PSDB to maintain the car systems, for
    example, audio, climate or lights, which are then unaffected by the engine restart."

Extremely unlikely the XF dual battery system would not work in the exact same way.
    Good find Oz right under your nose, page 10120, cracked me up lol! hope you didn't read the whole pdf to find it

It would be difficult to argue with your source, so it looks like original Jaguar press release and info gleaned from other sources could be giving us the wrong info.

I am just looking at a XF download manuals on ebay for what they cost might be worth a punt. I know the previous decent downloads sites and where you probably got your F one from seem to be no longer up and running
    Last edited by Poundy; 14-10-18 at 13:10.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    I was always under the impression that a vist to the dealer was on the cards if changing the battery, might not be the case, given the replies here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing the battery is easy even an idiot can do it, I know I've done mine three times! Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Changing the battery is easy even an idiot can do it, I know I've done mine three times! Phil
    What the same one?
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Good find Oz right under your nose, page 10120, cracked me up lol! hope you didn't read the whole pdf to find it

It would be difficult to argue with your source, so it looks like original Jaguar press release and info gleaned from other sources could be giving us the wrong info.

I am just looking at a XF download manuals on ebay for what they cost might be worth a punt. I know the previous decent downloads sites and where you probably got your F one from seem to be no longer up and running
    I must confess I was pointed to it by a member on another forum, although he did use my copy of the F-Type V6 Workshop Manual to find it (I have made that Manual freely available from my Dropbox).

Yes, the site I got my copy from (ridgy didge paid for copy) no longer provides Jaguar workshop manuals, it seems they got in trouble with JLR and yanked them.
    As for the XF, you can still get them from Jagdocs for the "classic" (ie pre-2012) - I have both the 2010-2011 3.0 D and 2010-2011 XFR manuals, again bought and paid for and again available for free download from my Dropbox - but after that it became Topix or nuffin.
    As the dual battery stop/start system was introduced with the 2012 "facelift" that means you can't get a PDF download workshop manual for the XF that shows the stop/start system, well not that I know of anyway.

PS - my F-Type manual is 28378 pages, so page 10120 is only just past 1/3 of the way through!

2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must confess I was pointed to it by a member on another forum, although he did use my copy of the F-Type V6 Workshop Manual to find it (I have made that Manual freely available from my Dropbox).

Yes, the site I got my copy from (ridgy didge paid for copy) no longer provides Jaguar workshop manuals, it seems they got in trouble with JLR and yanked them.
    As for the XF, you can still get them from Jagdocs for the "classic" (ie pre-2012) - I have both the 2010-2011 3.0 D and 2010-2011 XFR manuals, again bought and paid for and again available for free download from my Dropbox - but after that it became Topix or nuffin.
    As the dual battery stop/start system was introduced with the 2012 "facelift" that means you can't get a PDF download workshop manual for the XF that shows the stop/start system, well not that I know of anyway.

PS - my F-Type manual is 28378 pages, so page 10120 is only just past 1/3 of the way through!

Well I finally managed to get a 2011-2015 downloaded PDF Workshop Manual + Wiring off Ebay for the princely sum of £9.90.

So to put this to bed I have read through the dual battery system and the very, very short version is lol!

When the eco stop shuts down the main battery continues to run everything A/c etc the lot.
    When the foot starts to rise from the pedal the ABS sends a message via the can to the gwm at 105ms. It then transfers any sensitive electronics running on main battery power, that could suffer damage from any lowered voltage at start up, to the more stabilized small battery.
    The main battery then starts the car and once running the sensitive electronics are then returned to be powered by the main battery again.

So on reflection it would appear that the small battery doesn't do a lot and is more of a safety device

7. Thanks OzJagXFS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the explanation. Interesting but much more complicated than I imagined. Why not leave all the sensitive electronics on the small battery all the time? I guess we mere mortals aren't allowed to understand how things work anymore.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    So it seems the secondary battery is used to power the peripherals only during an eco restart and not for anything else.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

10. Likes Poundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it seems the secondary battery is used to power the peripherals only during an eco restart and not for anything else.
    Only the very little ones lol! You were close but no cigar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234