Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1150

Thread: Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blimey that looks rather smart! What does it do?
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Currently awaiting verdict after accident)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car/Temporary work horse!)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    its a additional controller for the screen...just an added toy to play with

here it is in action

mines all chrome . i dont use the cupholder because it fits on top perfectly like it came with the car

3. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benwillcox View Post
    @Barch I've re-written my howto on a separate website due to Photobucket destroying all the posts with hosted pictures: www.jagdroid.org

@jrt.typo Sorry the XK is a different system so this upgrade wouldn't work

I've not updated this thread for a while, but have been using my system and working on a few upgrades in the background. There are a few more people who now have a JagDroid system in their own cars, X-Types, S-Types and X350/8s

Just a few points while I think of them now:

- I've devised a new method of performing the audio aux-in mod on the CD player. I had found that sometimes when doing the SPDIF version of the mod (for Standard audio equipped cars) that there could be some interference induced (lots of clicking noises) due to the SPDIF cabling going up to the touchscreen relay board and back again. Now I fit an Arduino Nano inside the CD player with 1 relay (for Standard audio SPDIF cars) or 2 relays (for Alpine Premium audio Analogue L/R cars), which can be switched between aux-in and the CD audio by holding the CD button on the CD player. The back of the player is fitted with 1 or 2 phono sockets for aux-in, depending on audio system type and everything is now contained within the CD player so the external wiring is simplified and interference eliminated.

- I now use a capacitive touch overlay as already tested by other users, advantages over the AR1100 resistive touch are that it requires no calibration, panel edges are already masked off in black, touch sensitivity is improved, and it has multi-touch capability

- I use an 800 nits brightness screen @ 800x480 pixels resolution, which measured with a Lux meter shows pretty much the same max brightness as the OEM screen. Backlight control is integrated in the latest Arduino sketch and with a minor mod to the RTD video board the original Brightness control and Day/Night auto switching of the OEM system is retained.

- I have installed a DAB+ USB module on my car, along with a Fakra antenna splitter which allows me to receive DAB through the existing antenna. Reception isn't as good as I would like, however the splitter I'm using is a passive one - active amplified ones are available which may improve reception.

- I have installed a reversing camera with auto-switching on selecting reverse. Other users had already done this but thought I should really try it myself! This can be achieved simply by adding a relay with its coil in parallel with a reversing lamp to generate a positive +12v switched live on selecting reverse (Jag uses a negative switched system which means this addition is necessary) which goes to the RTD board and it then switches to AV2 when selecting reverse. A forward camera is also possible as there is a second AV input on the RTD board. I added shortcut functions to the sketch so that you can double-press REAR HEAT to switch to reverse camera at any time, and FRONT HEAT to switch to the front camera.

Ben
    Hi Ben,

Following this project with great enthusiasm, looking forward to doing an install in my car. Would you say the project has reached the level of maturity where the usb dab+ could be used as a full replacement for the FM tuner? That would be my primary use and wondering what its like in aspects such as will it resume from sleep and start playing the last station it was tuned to? Also what would the experience be from an android "cold boot"? Can the dab channels be changed by steering wheel control?

Thanks,

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jon, sorry for the delay replying.

I'm not a heavy user of DAB myself, although I have added a DAB stick to my system as I've had lots of people ask me about it. It works really well (caveat regarding the antenna below), and this process has become much easier recently as the DAB app is now available in the Google Play store rather than having to download the .apk file manually from a website and install it.

I tried an antenna splitter to get the DAB signal from the existing FM antenna mounted to the rear screen, but I've not been very happy with the signal. Another user has recommended this antenna: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/produc...twig-dma-1004/ , although you need a steel body car as it's a magnetic mount (so not an X350 for example!). I'm sure other decent antennas are available, but I've not tested them myself.

In my experience the DAB app will continue to play the last station it was set to, and I seem to recall seeing an option to get it to start the DAB application on bootup, but I haven't looked at this myself (I prefer to start my music manually, just a single press in Car Launcher, depending on whether I want Spotify, USB music, etc). It certainly works with the steering wheel controls and you can change station by pressing up/down on the steering wheel.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ben, that sounds very encouraging! Point noted about getting a decent dab antenna. I'm in no hurry to start the project, so will wait until you've finalised / published your latest design with the new capacitive screen, Arduino Nano etc.

Kind Regards,

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried some Bluetooth Tyre Pressure Monitors paired to an android app on the modded head unit.
    Something like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/KDator-Pres...76%3A419158031
    2006 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 D Sport (Radiance Red)
    DPF Removal, EGR Delete & Eco+ Remap. Android Customised Touch Screen Head Unit (WiFi, Audio Bluetooth & DAB+), Reversing Camera, Front & Rear Dashcams

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm loving this whole thread any want to give it ago myself but before I start a I have a few questions to ask.

I have a 2008 system without a CD changer in the boot and I've noticed a few differences in the systems available on eBay my CD unit has a button that says Band rather than AM/FM and the heated seats have a led in the buttons for the different heat settings. Do I hold out for a 2008 unit or can I purchase an earlier one and still retain the features especially the seats.

Is there an up to date parts list with preferred suppliers the one currently available seems to show a screen at 400cd/m2 while others seem to be using screens that go up to 1000cd/m2 (unless I'm misunderstanding things which isn't unusual for me). The link to the screen in the parts list on here has HDMI is this still the correct screen to use?

If it gets to complicated for me I may just bite the bullet and ask Ben to do it for me but I'd like to give it a go first.
    2008 X Type 2.2d SE Auto Estate. Black, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2008 update, 17 in Wheels, 107K Mods:- None until I can work out how to install JagDroid

9. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thread does have a lot of confusing info in it - we were all adding our own suggestions/experiences and some did not end up being used in Ben's final design.

I was going to say go to Ben's website for the most up to date info, but I notice his site does not reference the 800cd/m2 screen (some users did find a 1000cd/m2, but I have no idea what part number that is; I believe Ben uses the 800cd/m2), or latest capacitive overlay. I would recommend both as they result in a much better unit. In particular the unit is pretty unusable in bright sunlight if it does not have the 800cd/m2 screen. His site is here:

https://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/home

What I would suggest, is use Ben's site as a way to carry out the mods. But I would use this touchscreen overlay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Capacit...-/202103464940

Then I would source a 800cd/m2 screen part number AT070TN94-VL800 (7" TFT LCD panel with 800cd/m2 backlight) from these guys:

http://www.tft-lcd-panels.com/
    sales1@hksebo.com
    (I spoke to Alina)

I paid 71USD for two LCD screens (including postage). They were 23USD without postage. There might be cheaper postage available, but I asked for fast post, so they used DHL.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Currently awaiting verdict after accident)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car/Temporary work horse!)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

11. Thanks Karl_1965 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

Karl, if your car is fitted with the factory DAB then you need the CD player with a BAND button instead of AM/FM, otherwise you won't be able to access the DAB stations. The heated seat buttons are separate from the touchscreen and CD player, so you can just retain your existing buttons.

As Chris says, the information on my website is now out of date unfortunately. I've changed quite a lot of things since publishing the information but just not had the time to update it. Some of the changes are that I use an 800mcd/m2 screen with capacitive overlay, I no longer use a relay shield but 2 separate relays, and the CD audio switching mod is done with an Arduino Micro and double pole relay inside the CD player itself rather than breaking out to the main Arduino in the touchscreen.
    The original method published will still work, it's just that I've refined the method over time.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

13. Thanks Karl_1965 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links C16RKC that helps.

And again thanks for the info Ben I don't have the DAB unit installed so I should be okay with the older spec units and keep the heated seats, it's also good to know that the project is still evolving.
    2008 X Type 2.2d SE Auto Estate. Black, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2008 update, 17 in Wheels, 107K Mods:- None until I can work out how to install JagDroid

Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115