Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1250

Thread: Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrrmachine View Post
    I've not heard of that before! I thought all the CD players were the same (18B876) - any idea which models do (or don't) work with the unlock system?
    Nope not at all unfortunately, anything after about 2005 and the unlock bypass doesn't work in my experience. However, there is a guy on ebay who will provide you with the correct PIN for 99p if you send the serial number from the bottom of your player in the 'message to seller' box. He normally sends them over in less than an hour! I've used him a few times: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/radiocode...72.m2749.l2754

Cheers,
    Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

2. Thanks Grrrmachine thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, cheers for that! That's got to be easier than "cutting off chip 24c08" like the Yank forum suggests!

I'll plug it all back in tomorrow and see how I get on.
    2004 X-Type 3.0 Executive Estate, Pacific Blue with Champagne Leather and CarPC install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big difference! I ran some power tests, and those two audio relays were drawing 0.25A even when the Arduino went to sleep, with the whole nav unit (minus the Odroid) drawing just under 1A when powered up. So it's no surprise the battery went completely flat in 5 days, if I left the audio mode switched the wrong way. I've forced it to power off those relays in the sleep event now, so that should prevent further power issues.

The actual NAV screen is stuck on the "Please wait" message for the unlock screen, so I need to go for a longer drive to clear that and try the new access code and check the sound system.
    2004 X-Type 3.0 Executive Estate, Pacific Blue with Champagne Leather and CarPC install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a fun afternoon playing with the N2 today.
    Took the eMMC from the XU4 and installed Voodik's Lineage OS 16.0 onto the N2.
    Most of it works fine at first try - although I haven't tried the machine in the car. I do have a PSU smoother to try and see if that fixes the electronic noise.
    A2DP works although the data pass through doesn’t seem to.
    I haven’t investigated in depth, but it does look as though the A2DP kills the wifi connection. So it looks like you can’t have Bluetooth music playing on the iPhone at the same time as data transfers. I’ll have another play with that later.
    Voodik hasn’t implemented the Hardkernal Function Key settings in the Odroid Settings Utility. I have asked him if he can do that.

On the whole it looks like both Android Pie implementations mostly work, but neither is quite ready for Prime Time. So the C2 is staying in the car for now.

Kind regards

Mark B.
    2000 XKR BRG Convertable
    2008 Daimler Super 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Grrmachine sounds like you're nearly there!

Hey Mark good to from you. Thanks for the info about the Lineage OS, I was thinking of giving it a go but now I don't have to as you have tested it for us
    There also seems to be another Android build here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=35463 although I would prefer to stick to an official branch to ensure timely updates and long term support in future (although HardKernel do seem to be lagging a little behind with still a few things to be fixed).

I still say the N2 is not ready for primetime, although I have been persisting with mine in the car for several weeks as a long term test without major difficulties.

Things still not working are a2dp bluetooth sink, SPDIF output, and ease of rooting the OS.

I don't actually use a2dp as I play all my music using native apps on the system, but I would consider that a very important feature for most people which of course the C2 has. SPDIF output is essential both for those with Standard audio systems and those who wish to use a DAC for best audio quality. I have managed to reduce the audio interference from the built-in analogue stereo output significantly using one of these: https://www.halfords.com/technology/...ine-filter-box
    However, with this fitted the Odroid doesn't always boot first time. I think the low-pass filter is causing the supply voltage to rise too slowly which doesn't trigger a correct boot sequence. I could work-around this by changing the power on function in the Arduino to switch power on-off-on quickly, pending a better solution.

I managed to root the system once previously using the Magisk utility but can't seem to make it work again and it's a bit of a faff. The C2 is rooted as standard. Root is needed so that the soft-shutdown via USB keyboard emulation can work and trigger a shutdown on the command line. Currently my system just powers hard-off after the 10 min timer which isn't ideal, but saying that I've not actually had any corruption to date.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

7. Thanks MarkFY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benwillcox View Post
    Grrmachine sounds like you're nearly there!

Hey Mark good to from you. Thanks for the info about the Lineage OS, I was thinking of giving it a go but now I don't have to as you have tested it for us
    There also seems to be another Android build here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=35463 although I would prefer to stick to an official branch to ensure timely updates and long term support in future (although HardKernel do seem to be lagging a little behind with still a few things to be fixed).

I still say the N2 is not ready for primetime, although I have been persisting with mine in the car for several weeks as a long term test without major difficulties.

Things still not working are a2dp bluetooth sink, SPDIF output, and ease of rooting the OS.

I don't actually use a2dp as I play all my music using native apps on the system, but I would consider that a very important feature for most people which of course the C2 has. SPDIF output is essential both for those with Standard audio systems and those who wish to use a DAC for best audio quality. I have managed to reduce the audio interference from the built-in analogue stereo output significantly using one of these: https://www.halfords.com/technology/...ine-filter-box
    However, with this fitted the Odroid doesn't always boot first time. I think the low-pass filter is causing the supply voltage to rise too slowly which doesn't trigger a correct boot sequence. I could work-around this by changing the power on function in the Arduino to switch power on-off-on quickly, pending a better solution.

I managed to root the system once previously using the Magisk utility but can't seem to make it work again and it's a bit of a faff. The C2 is rooted as standard. Root is needed so that the soft-shutdown via USB keyboard emulation can work and trigger a shutdown on the command line. Currently my system just powers hard-off after the 10 min timer which isn't ideal, but saying that I've not actually had any corruption to date.

Ben
    Hi Ben,

OK, tried Secuflag's ROM and as far as we're concerned it's the same as the Hardkernal one. The extras and additions aren't really relevant to us. It has all the same constraints – no working A2DP Sink function and requires rooting.
    Tried again today and was again able to root with Magisk without problem following CodeWalker’s instructions. So all three of my images are rooted.

Voodik’s ROM doesn’t handle data very well. I was able to replicate the behaviour this afternoon. Once the iPhone connects with Bluetooth, the Odroid won’t see the wifi network. If one instructs the Odroid and the iPhone to ‘forget’ both Bluetooth and Wifi, then reboot, it is possible to once again connect to Wifi. It is easy to pair the Bluetooth connection between the Odroid and the iPhone and the music plays! But then data stops flowing from the internet. So it really rather looks like either/or.

I was very pleasantly surprised that Secuflag’s ROM runs quite adequately off of a Samsung Micro SD card. I did think that there would be a significant performance hit. Means that I can keep all three installations ‘live’ to play with while we go on developing.

Noise suppression and rebooting – I have put together, but not back in the car yet – a relay switched by the 5v USB supply from the back of the Radio. The voltage on the USB supply operates the relay which switches the smoothed 12v supply for the Odroid. I did have it running through a 5v supply for the XU4 but of course, the N2 eats 12v. So the supply ramps up quickly enough to trigger the boot process.

I plan to try the HDMI splitter to see what the audio is like from there – perhaps cleaner? I actually have the one mentioned in the SPDIF output thread left over from the XU4 experiment. I’ll give that a go later.

Next thing to try will be various Bluetooth and WiFi radios to see what chipsets work with what ROMs. One day…

All the best

Mark B.
    2000 XKR BRG Convertable
    2008 Daimler Super 8

9. Thanks benwillcox thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update - the HDMI splitter works with both Hardkernal and Lineage ROMs.

Kind regards

Mark B.
    2000 XKR BRG Convertable
    2008 Daimler Super 8

11. Thanks benwillcox thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Done!

I've now got a full Android unit that runs music, GPS, and wifi, sitting in my glovebox, working in tandem with the original in-dash unit for climate control and volume controls. It's such a relief to have a decent nav system on board again.

I still need to address little things like bluetooth and the steering wheel controls, but I think those are tiny tweaks that should be fairly easy fixes. Thanks to all who helped me along the way!

I've got the parts to attempt one of ben's v4.x builds (with the Pro Micro in the CD player) so I might fiddle around with that when I get back from my next road trip.

EDIT: Steering wheel controls can be calibrated on an X-type if you remember that the "Auto" button in ben's code is actually the AC button (thanks to the single-zone AC layout!)
    Last edited by Grrrmachine; 12-08-19 at 17:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Grrmachine, I'm glad you persisted and have a working system! Would be good to see some pics, if you have any?

I have made a start on writing up my latest version here: https://sites.google.com/willcoxonline.com/jagdroid-v2/ but it's work in progress right now. The new CD player mod is complete however, which eliminates the need to calibrate the steering wheel controls and lets you use the << and >> buttons on the CD player front panel to skip tracks, CD button to play/pause, and A.MEM to toggle between aux and CD input.

Cheers,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a PDF (first few pages) of this thread? All of the pictures are dead at the start?
    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125