Thread: Removing rear suspension - clearances

Post Thanks / Like

Removing rear suspension - clearances

Need to remove the rear suspension on my 1973 4.2L How high must the rear of the car be raised for the suspension to be drawn out? and how much clearance needs to be left at the rear? I suppose the latter depends on the length of the trolley jack, but can the suspension be wheeled out sideways?

Any help would be gratefully received.

thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Car needs to be quite high up, and is easily removed using the trolley jack you support the subframe with whilst you undo the carrier mounts and radius arm mounts, (having previously removed exhausts, and disconnected the propshaft and brake line. You can clamp the single rear flexible to stop too much fluid loss before disconnecting.

Most people who describe the job say it comes out from the rear, and fairly easily once dropped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fraser,
    I fact I have done this job around 25 years ago, and back then I had an article in the club magazine which told me exactly how high to raise the car. When I did it then I pulled it out from the rear, as the car was nose into the garage. Now its backed in so I only have around 1 metre at the rear clearance. The car has sat for the last 15 years, brakes will need removing, hence the need to pull the rear suspension