Thread: MP3 issues with your Jaguar XF/XJ? Please read here as this is the PERFECT Fix

Post Thanks / Like

MP3 issues with your Jaguar XF/XJ? Please read here as this is the PERFECT Fix

So I purchased a Jaguar XF 2012 not so long ago, and after dumping a bunch of music to my usb and playing it, I got alot of errors on the in car entertainment, saying it could not read certain tracks (regardless of them being an Mp3). This really annoyed me considering my old Honda Civic 2007 could play any mp3 without a hiccup. On occasion the USB refused to work, songs being stuck at 0:00 even though that track was working perfectly not so long ago.

So after reading the forums, there was no real definitive way of fixing this problem. I purchased a brand new USB, sandisk branded, and still nothing. I then spent yesterday trying to figure out what causes this and actually found the PERFECT fix. I have tried this with 1986 tracks (yes you read that right). Not all on one go though, I tried them 999 at a time, and this has worked perfectly on both a shoddy Toshiba USB I purchased from eBuyer for £2.00, and a premium Sandisk USB. I would be genuinely surprised if this does not work for ANY mp3 track. A lot of the instructions may have these following instructions, but what I will provide is the exact software and solution that may differ from other tutorials.

SO first, what causes the mp3 to not play in a Jaguar:

1) Possible special characters.

2) Audio encoding.

How do we resolve it?

WARNING: If you are not that literate with windows, Please make a back up of your MP3 files first. This may seem a little complex but if you do get stuck, please let me know.

1) First, I would recommend having ALL your mp3 in one folder as this will make your life a lot easier. It doesn't matter if you have 100 tracks or 10000 tracks.

2) Format your USB to FAT32. You can do this on windows by right clicking on the USB in My Computer, selecting format, and under File System, selecting "FAT32".

3) Under the "format" options, there is another option called "Allocation Unit Size". Set this to "default allocation size".

4) Make sure you have a volume label, do not keep this blank. Call it USB, or Music, or what ever you like to give your USB name.

5) Load up Windows PowerShell (so click start, search, type "powershell", it should come up with "windows powershell".)

6) Navigate to your mp3 folder. If you are unsure how to do this, then here is an example.

My MP3 folder is located under D:\Albums\MP3.

To get to this folder in Powershell, simply type (without quotes):

“cd d:\Albums\MP3”

7) Copy each command one at a time into PowerShell and hit enter:

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace("(","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace(")","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace(" ","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace("[","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace("]","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace("%","")}

get-childitem *.mp3 | ForEach { Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.name $_.name.Replace(",","")}

OK what the hell is that going to do? This will remove the following characters from your song titles, so brackets, percentage signs, double spaces, and commas.

All your mp3s should not contain any of these characters.

Download LameXP

http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/
    9) In the source files tab, click “add Files” and select all your mp3s.

10) In the output directory, select the folder of your output of mp3s

11) In Meta Data, remove the “comment”. It normally say “Encoded with LameXP”. Just double click and remove it.

12) Compression – set encoder to mp3, rate control method to VBR, and quality to Maximum.

13) In Advanced, set LAME Algorithm Quality to “better quality”.

14) Press “encode now”.

And that’s it. Let the full process run through. This will also convert any wma, aac songs you may have into mp3 without any loss. Once its done, copy a large sum of mp3s to your usb (I would say 900 just to see if they all work perfectly first).

You can now delete your old mp3s as the new mp3s have been re-encoded to all the same type, and retained its mp3 clarity, AND removed any weird characters that may be in your music file names.

If this does NOT work, I will post 1 more instruction later this week to remove characters from the mp3 tags from the songs.

2. Thanks Agent Gibbs, ArtyH thanked for this post
    Likes bignell, Ian D, ArtyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks breh..I've been searching for a fix for my Jaguar XF not playing alot of my mp3 files.This finally did the trick...Great write-up.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bignell View Post
    Thanks breh..I've been searching for a fix for my Jaguar XF not playing alot of my mp3 files.This finally did the trick...Great write-up.....
    Glad it worked

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the write up, I followed just as you had wrote it and I now have all my music playing via my USB Stick.
    My problem was that music that was already installed on my USB Stick worked but when I added a couple of new albums they just didn't show up on the play list.
    They do now

Thanks for this

AG
    Last edited by Agent Gibbs; 01-10-17 at 10:38.
    2011 Jaguar XJ 3.0d Premium Luxury SWB Met Blue Ivory leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up, thread stickied to help others.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide