Page 169 of 171 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1701

Thread: Football

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly Doug Ellis will not see the rise of the phoenix now, whatever fans thought of him he always had a great passion for the club so R.I.P. Doug.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Mr Ellis.
    03 XJR X350, Silver with White Leather & 2017 Mondeo Vignale Est, Adaptive Cruise, Parking Assist, Lane Keeping, Blind Spot Monitoring, Collision Mitigation, Speed Sign Recognition, City Stop. Newly "refurbed" TD5 Series 2 Millennium Ltd Edition Derv. 1999 Larson 290 Cabrio, 2 x 4.3ltr V6 190hp Mercruisers. Triumph Trophy 1200cc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Money wasn't an issue and some top contenders were approached but lacked interest, I think it's debatable just how the so called elite would function in the championship and it's certainly viewed as a step down on the old CV however big on ambition and funds the club may be.
    Thanks to Toni & Bruce, we are struggling with FFP at the moment and need someone who can bully us out of here this season on a budget or we may be looking at points deduction next season if still down.
    I think it is the style of football that they bring to the club which might be our saving grace we have several 20 goal a season players who are doing FA and hopefully JT will sort the defence out better. I thnk WBA are a good example with Darren Brown, a no frills manager getting the best out of the players that the likes of Pardew sruggled to do. It's all about scoring more than you concede and playing entertaining football at the end of the day. Something we have struggled with over the past few year with the old school managers.
    Of course I would have liked Zinadine Zidane but he had better things to do
    Who’s this Darren Brown? WBA manager is Darren Moore

You’re right though, I’m really glad we went for a different way of doing things than all the usual mix of failed managers that just rotate through.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    Who’s this Darren Brown? WBA manager is Darren Moore

You’re right though, I’m really glad we went for a different way of doing things than all the usual mix of failed managers that just rotate through.
    Ha! ha! my bad Ian, just a slip of the tongue, I play golf sometimes with Darren Brown who doesn't even like football
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

5. Thanks Ian D thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    R. I. P. Doug

A proper character lost from the game.
    2006 XK Convertible, 4.2, Indigo with Ivory/Slate Blue, 20" Sentas, chrome grilles & gills, XK60-type body kit & exhaust tails.
    2017 420d Gran Coupe Sport which I am contractually obliged to drive during week days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StokieChris View Post
    If I was a Villa fan I think I would be underwhelmed by this appointment.

Where's the ambition?

I felt the same when Paul Lambert was given the opportunity to manage, what was then, a Premier League side.
    I think it's not a bad appointment really. As Poundy has pointed out, Villa have the millstone of FFP hanging around them and Dean Smith will not have used mega-bucks to turn Brentford into regular contenders. So a shrewd move in my eyes.
    I'm yet to be convinced by the John Terry thing though - he might turn out to be a student of the Roy Keane School Of Man-Management, and that always ends in plenty of tears.
    2006 XK Convertible, 4.2, Indigo with Ivory/Slate Blue, 20" Sentas, chrome grilles & gills, XK60-type body kit & exhaust tails.
    2017 420d Gran Coupe Sport which I am contractually obliged to drive during week days.

8. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they wanted Terry in because of the huge impact he made at the club last season. I was never a big fan but having seen him on and off the pitch at Villa and his must win mentality, I can see why he was able to be a top dog at a demanding club like Chelsea for 19yrs, some amazing achievments on his cv. Two different personalities him and Dean Smith but if they gel it could make for a great combination, hopefully a Brian Clough and Peter Taylor team
    I'm looking forward to going to their first home match in charge next Saturday and the welcome from 35000 fans (them not me) lol!, a first win would be the icing on the cake but perhaps early days, as long as they are ready for the Bluenose match.

10. Likes Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that we soften the Bluenoses up for you next week...

12. Likes Poundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Villanova27 View Post
    I hope that we soften the Bluenoses up for you next week...

Good man

14. Likes Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad my tickets safe for the first match, they are opening part of the Trinity Road Stand because of strong demand apparantly. We have been doing 33,500 - 35,500 this season watching mr negatives football without it. So it will be good to see some more interest if the football gets a bit more entertaining.

The owners have said when we go back to the premier the capacity will be increased to 60,000. Notice I said when the guy with the great fish and chip shop will be rubbing his greasy little hands when that happens lol!

Page 169 of 171 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171 LastLast